2018 World Cup

5 hours ago, fraz65 said:

It's possible that you're looking at the whole tournament, rather than just the group stages.

Sorry- I should probably have clarified that.

Wonder how many of his passes were forward or set up scoring chances?hes got a job to do in the team but if you think a team of Scot browns is the answer then you’ve had too much sun

56 minutes ago, Jasg said:

Wonder how many of his passes were forward or set up scoring chances?hes got a job to do in the team but if you think a team of Scot browns is the answer then you’ve had too much sun

It doesn’t matter which direction his passes were. It’s so archaic to think only forward passes are meaningful passes. As Pep beautifully articulated “we don’t pass to move the ball, we pass to move the opposition”. 

1 hour ago, Jasg said:

I said eleven players equivalent to his ability, not "a team of Scott Browns". 

10 hours ago, david mcbeth said:

He must be utter utter s**te then, because Hansen was the biggest posing fraud in the history of Scottish football IMO and also the worst pundit ever prior to Ian Wright’s emergence 

He's got quite a few medals that would tend to contradict that view. 

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

It doesn’t matter which direction his passes were. It’s so archaic to think only forward passes are meaningful passes. As Pep beautifully articulated “we don’t pass to move the ball, we pass to move the opposition”. 

Croatia played quite a lot of sideways passes the other night and it worked effectively in tiring England out as well as stretching the game. 

2 hours ago, historyman said:

He's got quite a few medals that would tend to contradict that view. 

His lapses meant Liverpool won games 4-1 and 5-1 instead of 4-0 and 5-0. When you put him in a Scotland shirt beside less quality he was a total liability but still always saw himself as gods gift.

11 hours ago, historyman said:

That's not so much the case these days. For example, players like McArthur, McCarthy and even young Gilmour aren't being persuaded to join their boyhood heroes. The real reason we don't see many Scottish players going down south is that they are not good enough to make it a success. There are lots in recent years who came back to Scotland after their career had stalled e.g. Shinnie, Stewart, Murphy, Allen, Mallan etc. 

It will be interesting to see how McLean gets on at Norwich. I hope I'm wrong but I don't think he is good enough. 

That's true. We've also got the problem that successful Scottish players in England tend to stay there after their careers are over so the likes of Angus Gunn (son of Bryan Gunn) has opted to play for England. 

2 hours ago, david mcbeth said:

His lapses meant Liverpool won games 4-1 and 5-1 instead of 4-0 and 5-0. When you put him in a Scotland shirt beside less quality he was a total liability but still always saw himself as gods gift.

Paisley, Fagan, Dalglish and Evans all played him. He’s won 23 senior trophies - I wonder if another Scotsman has so many if you exclude the old firm?

Not bad for a poser. 

10 hours ago, piffer said:

Croatia played quite a lot of sideways passes the other night and it worked effectively in tiring England out as well as stretching the game. 

Alan Hansen played for the best team in Europe in the 80s most sucessfull British team in europe ever his record speaks for itself

6 goals in a World Cup final ....some cracking ones and the very dodgy VAR penalty ...this World Cup has provided drama and entertainment in most of the games ....

France throughout the tournament have stuck to a game plan , solid at the back (keeper mistake apart) a deep compact midfield , and using the undoubted pace and skill on the counter attack at certain times to great effect........

12 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

The VAR decision was incredibly harsh. There's no way a decision like that would have gone in Croatia's favour. 

Totally agree. Wouldn't even have been referred to VAR if it had been other way round. If it takes 38 looks for the referee to decide then I find it hard to see what was "obviously" missed. To me France are just like a suped-up version of England, same idea but generally a bit better at it.

The final summed up the whole tournament. VAR missing stuff. Dodgy VAR calls, set piece goals. Crap goalkeeping and little splatters of individual brilliance. Football wise it maybe wasn’t the best tournament but IMO it was really entertaining and gripping. 

12 hours ago, chubbs said:

For once Zorro is correct .... He brought his arm down into the ball.

Yes I agree. 

However I thought VAR was used for clear and obvious decisions that were missed. 

Given the length of time the ref spent on it, then it wasn't that clear or obvious to him. 

12 minutes ago, theboyjohnston said:

As soon as it was referred to VAR it was going to be a penalty - there is movement of the arm towards the ball.

If you watch carefully you can see the defender open his had and spread his fingers as his arm comes down.

If it just hits his arm as he brings it down you could make the case for "an accidental contact as he attempts to regain his balance".

IMO the ref saw the spreading of his hand as "intent" to block the ball. 

But who can say.

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

If you watch carefully you can see the defender open his had and spread his fingers as his arm comes down.

If it just hits his arm as he brings it down you could make the case for "an accidental contact as he attempts to regain his balance".

IMO the ref saw the spreading of his hand as "intent" to block the ball. 

But who can say.

People who know football know it was a penalty.