2018 World Cup

Mexico seemed off game today and through due to another poor German performance in other game ...... Certainly been a dramatic tournament so far...even before the knock out rounds start .....and on the whole been a decent watch

very strange display by the World Cup holders in all thier games 

12 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

a bit of movement in the odds, its now Spain 9/2, Brazil 5/1, Belgium and Germany 7/1 England 9/1, France 10/1. Argentina 12/1, Croatia 12/1.

a lottery at the moment, with no team other than Croatia looking good its hard to pick one. If a team gets itself together it is there for the taking. 

Germany looking good value at 5s....

Dont remember a German team ever screwing things up as badly as this. 

Still a very open tournament, there might even be a new name on the trophy which would be really cool. 

The hype over England at the moment is laughable.

"Exceeded everyone's expectations"? They squeaked a win over Tunisia with a last-minute goal and crushed a hopeless Panama.

I can understand people wanting to get swept along on a tide of optimism but there's not much basis for it so far.

The defence and keeper haven't been tested so far - we'll see how they do against Belgium who will be totally different level.

8 hours ago, skygod said:

The defence and keeper haven't been tested so far - we'll see how they do against Belgium who will be totally different level.

Even then it is a meaningless game and both sides will field weakened teams I reckon. 

If they win they'll go overboard. If they lose they'll claim 2nd place offered the best route to the final. 

On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 7:32 AM, Bhamkillieken said:

Man you must have got it hard when you lived in England, your inbred hatred loses in every post. You should get over it.

Apparently Mundell has declared the Cross of St George will fly from Scottish Office buildings when Engerland are playing.

I had successfully cultivated a sense of indifference but I once again I really, really, fervently hope they get as many real total humiliating gubbings as possible. 

55 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Apparently Mundell has declared the Cross of St George will fly from Scottish Office buildings when Engerland are playing.

I had successfully cultivated a sense of indifference but I once again I really, really, fervently hope they get as many real total humiliating gubbings as possible. 

Ironic considering his previous false allegations against Sturgeon: 

Mr Mundell told MPs on Wednesday: “In September 2014 the people of Scotland voted overwhelmingly to remain within the United Kingdom, and the Union Jack is the flag of the United Kingdom.

“It beggars belief that, at a time when children’s hospital wards are being closed, educational standards are falling and Police Scotland is in chaos, the priority of the First Minister of Scotland is flags.”

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15900496.Scotland_Office_refuses_to_back_down_over_flag_row/

He seems more obsessed with flag waving than anyone else. 

35 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

Sorry, we're in danger of getting WC2018 discussion moved into politics now. 

We're already in political territory when headlines like "Don't mention the VAR" appear in the English tabloids. I can't share their absolute delight at Germany being eliminated. 

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

We're already in political territory when headlines like "Don't mention the VAR" appear in the English tabloids. I can't share their absolute delight at Germany being eliminated. 

Where's your sense of humour?

Don't say you don't remember the Fawlty Towers episode? I first saw the line on Facebook just after the match, cracked by a Scots mate. I thought it was funny then and still do.

It seems everyone is enjoying the World Cup apart from those Scots who will be sweating until England are eliminated. Why not just relax and enjoy it? 

1 minute ago, skygod said:

Where's your sense of humour?

Don't say you don't remember the Fawlty Towers episode? I first saw the line on Facebook just after the match, cracked by a Scots mate. I thought it was funny then and still do.

It seems everyone is enjoying the World Cup apart from those Scots who will be sweating until England are eliminated. Why not just relax and enjoy it? 

Where's my sense of humour ? Never noticed our fans singing the" Dambusters " theme tune when we play Germany. 

53 minutes ago, piffer said:

Watching today and at the moment Senegal are heading out on yellow cards. Japan have two less yellows in the tournament so would go through 

Colombia were pretty poor today but there must have been a great deal of pressure on both sides. I can't see the two qualifiers from group H beating Belgium or England, although both Belgium and England have failed before when it came to the knockout stages.

I've been fully on the side of not particularly giving a s**t about England at this world cup but today has been tough. The England game is the only story local radio has been running with all day. That's not even what bothers me, it's the auld bats at work who have never mentioned football once in the 4 years I've worked at that place giving the low down on the match. It's Dunning-Kruger in action. They've got this football thing sussed as far as they're concerned. They even tried to lay it out for me why Scotland aren't good. Apparently it's because we all hate each other so we don't get along. They are deadly f**king serious; they're sitting there waiting for me to nod and agree with them.

4 hours ago, skygod said:

The English commentary team did not sound too relaxed when South Korea scored against Germany. Sounded like a couple of them were having multiple orgasms. So much for the Corinthian spirit.

THis game must be verging on match fixing. Belgium picking up early bookings I see some are claiming were intentional so England win the group on yellow cards. They then take the lead but have since sat back inviting England to try and equalise. England appear to have absolutely no intention of doing that. Hopeful shots and crosses and Rashford through 1vs1 lacked any form of conviction. 

4 minutes ago, piffer said:

THis game must be verging on match fixing. Belgium picking up early bookings I see some are claiming were intentional so England win the group on yellow cards. They then take the lead but have since sat back inviting England to try and equalise. England appear to have absolutely no intention of doing that. Hopeful shots and crosses and Rashford through 1vs1 lacked any form of conviction. 

Didn't see the end of the Japan v Poland game earlier then.

I’ll give those two teams the benefit of the doubt in terms of their alleged ‘effort’ but that was a s**te game that tells us nothing of their qualities. If I was England I’d rather be playing Japan than Colombia and ‘One game at a time’ is the usual mantra isn’t it???

Edited by david mcbeth

Bet ITV were gutted , huge TV figures for BBC covering first 2 England games and they get coverage of match between 2 "B" teams ......

End of the group games and now head into what could be some dramatic knockout games......starting off with France v Argentina