Standing Section

Arshire Blue

hope the club will look at a business case for this. think it is £300 a seat to install? i would pay a bit extra for season ticket and the club could repay any investment over say 3-5 years.

we could install a certain amount of seats based on commitments, while it would add to atmosphere and hopefully have some impact on crowds as a whole

Edited by Alasdair

Realise I'm in the minority, but not a fan of standing sections. But if it is something people want and cost effective it's worth exploring. Don't think it will do anything for the atmosphere. More likely to end up with a Fir Park situation with lots of noise from one corner and not much else. 

Realise I'm in the minority, but not a fan of standing sections. But if it is something people want and cost effective it's worth exploring. Don't think it will do anything for the atmosphere. More likely to end up with a Fir Park situation with lots of noise from one corner and not much else. 

Better to have noise coming from one corner than no noise at all IMO. The group at Motherwell make quite a fair bit of noise at FP tbf.

Better to have noise coming from one corner than no noise at all IMO. The group at Motherwell make quite a fair bit of noise at FP tbf.

I get that, I just think atmosphere comes from the pitch more than anything else. Atmosphere was fanastic at loads of games  last season. A wee clustered group of Killie fans isn't going to change the atmosphere at a dreary game v Accies very much. But I'm all for it if it gets folk through the door 

Edited by mitch14

If we were having a standing section it should be bigger , Rail steating area's are starting to become a topic of conversation in a lot of clubs now. I am not a young dude anymore but i would prefer to stand , As thats how i was brought up watching Killie and prefer it.  I watch games on TV from all around the world (like most of us) And see a fan culture of singing,chanting,tifo's and general Interaction really adding to the enjoyment. This would in my opionion help attract more of the younger generation to matches. Nothing worse than sitting on yer bum it a quite stadium.

Do you stand at home watching it on TV? 

I heard the l last section was closed off due to police insisting on it (hence why they haven't put seats back in there)

How much truth is in that is anyones guess. When was last time I was full? Falkirk 4-0?

I remember when that section got closed years ago because one is the boys nearly hit Stephane Mahe with a rubber fish on a live TV game 

I wonder how many would actually move to a standing section?

While I fully support the idea, I go to games with my Dad who is getting on and wouldn't be able to stand for 90 minutes even if he wanted to.

I'm sure there will be a variety of other reasons it doesn't work for people.

Does that just leave the young team which would potentially put older fans off or would people be queuing up for a space?

2 hours ago, Killie JAD said:

I wonder how many would actually move to a standing section?

While I fully support the idea, I go to games with my Dad who is getting on and wouldn't be able to stand for 90 minutes even if he wanted to.

I'm sure there will be a variety of other reasons it doesn't work for people.

Does that just leave the young team which would potentially put older fans off or would people be queuing up for a space?

I'm sure there would be a fair few who would like it.

My knees, groin and ankles are pumped from football over the years, and as much as I like the idea and atmosphere when standing I wouldn't be able to walk for two days after it.

2 hours ago, Mister Y said:

A standing section should be marketed towards young people, say 16-25 year olds. Let them go mental for 90 minutes creating an atmosphere and keeping them away from the oldies at the same time.

Bugger that ... I'm 46 and the best atmosphere I've seen in years was at Pittodrie and Hamilton when we stood for the entire game ... and it wasn't just the young team.

Think if we want to be progressive as a club we need to have an area where this could happen. It would need to be well researched and be worth the money though. 

Dont want it to look embarrassing with it not full. I do think it would give more of a buzz to the stadium and encourage younger supporters to be involved which is a good thing.

On 6/20/2018 at 12:07 AM, chubbs said:

Bugger that ... I'm 46 and the best atmosphere I've seen in years was at Pittodrie and Hamilton when we stood for the entire game ... and it wasn't just the young team.

Am 57 noo and at away games am trying tae get close to where any singing starts. Hamilton was a real buzz. My knee's are fine and i would choose to stand or lean in a rail seat area. Does not feel right singing in a seated position with yer hands in the air.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:31 PM, Mister Y said:

A standing section should be marketed towards young people, say 16-25 year olds. Let them go mental for 90 minutes creating an atmosphere and keeping them away from the oldies at the same time.

As per above, I’ll think you’ll find it’s childen of the late 70s early 80s that would go for it. Shoulder to shoulder with your mates after a few beers,  indescrimate hugs when you score a big goal. Some great night sh at hampden too watching Scotland as a kid. It’s more liberating and it naturally leads to more energy and emotion that feeds onto the park. As I’ve said before, standing areas also allow mates to meet and share the experience whether season ticket holders or not. Seats were established for good reasons but we’ve addressed general safety issues and it’s time to give clubs cack the power to balance standing and seating.

41 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

As per above, I’ll think you’ll find it’s childen of the late 70s early 80s that would go for it. Shoulder to shoulder with your mates after a few beers,  indescrimate hugs when you score a big goal. Some great night sh at hampden too watching Scotland as a kid. It’s more liberating and it naturally leads to more energy and emotion that feeds onto the park. As I’ve said before, standing areas also allow mates to meet and share the experience whether season ticket holders or not. Seats were established for good reasons but we’ve addressed general safety issues and it’s time to give clubs cack the power to balance standing and seating.

Pretty sure in most standing sections you are still assigned a seat/section if you buy a season ticket. We will never get back to the days of just congregating with your mates unless they get rid of the seating structures which they never will. 

10 minutes ago, harley said:

Pretty sure in most standing sections you are still assigned a seat/section if you buy a season ticket. We will never get back to the days of just congregating with your mates unless they get rid of the seating structures which they never will. 

What if you can buy a ticket for a section/block rather than a seat....

39 minutes ago, harley said:

Why? Who are the customers here? If there is a link between standing areas and fans attending, the clubs management need to listen. There were good structural reasons in the 1980s and immediate aftermath why we moved in the direction we’d did but it’s now time to tell the powers that be how we want to enjoy our game. There will be many that want to sit but it’s not the same.

6 hours ago, Bigdaw said:

Am 57 noo and at away games am trying tae get close to where any singing starts. Hamilton was a real buzz. My knee's are fine and i would choose to stand or lean in a rail seat area. Does not feel right singing in a seated position with yer hands in the air.

I'm 68 and sing and chant at any games I attend, been that way since we used to stand under the old TV gantry. 

Just now, Wrangodog said:

I'm 68 and sing and chant at any games I attend, been that way since we used to stand under the old TV gantry. 

I'm 38 so just remember the old Rugby Park -away fans at East stand  fence- the atmosphere is night and day now, more cordial - and if its not cordial - there's no wire fence as a no mans land!  So I daresay you'd take more offence than back in the day! haha