TV Coverage and the Commentators We Love to Hate.

Can’t argue that there  is plenty of competition for worst “expert” summarisers but Glen particularly excells at the old Sybil Fawlty Mastermind subject- “the bleeding obvious”.He has just told us over a replay of a shot straight at the keeper that the shot was straight at the keeper. Also nice to see the old “great height for the keeper” penalty cliche getting an outing. Lawrenson’s specality is playing the grumpy old cynic and yes it is tiresome.

Who’s up there on your list? 

For me, Clive Tyldesley’s jingoism puts him narrowly ahead of Jonathan Pearce on the BBC and Tyldesley’s co-commentator Glen Hoddle. Andy “just about got to that” Townsend isn’t great either. 

Fat Sally was good tonight along with Jon Champion. 

We all know what happens every 4 years, with the emphasis of games such as Nigeria v Croatia revolving around coverage of England, but watching the BBC’s coverage the last couple of days has been frustrating. With the exception of Kevin Kilbane, who was born in Preston but represented ROI, every commentator, presenter and pundit is English.

ITV have a diverse range of pundits and commentators, and there seems to be a more balanced opinion, tho we’re still inundated with coverage of the England camp. 

Edited by Bobby14

Tyldesley wasn't as insufferable when he was at the bbc. Did some Scotland games after Gerald Sinstadt was caught having a ham shank in a dirty cinema

Pearce has no redeeming qualities. Easily fummoxed by goal line technology.

Sam Matterface is a c**t. With his prepped 'hand of cod' line. Away back to talksport.

Jon Champion is probably itv's best out there.

I do like Guy Mowbray from the beeb. Might have something to do with me listening to him for hours while worming on the kr game recently.

I think Clive 'this is England' Tyldesley and David Pleat is the worse ever combination. Townsend is indeed a pleb who also didn't play for his country and has a thing about 'pens' as he calls them. Lawrence I won't even waste time on.  

Jim Beglund was one of my favourites and quite liked Macarthy's blunt Yorkshirenism.

Better question is who is actually decent? 

Generally find the foreign contingent more insightful. 

Also the lesser commentators tend to be better than the main ones

Edited by Isle of Wight Exile

Just everyone thank god that John “This reminds me on 1966, Tunisia 0  Russia 0” Motson has retired.

funnier was his condescending “ho ho ho you won’t beat Shilton from that range..... Eugh it’s a goal!” Moment.

Fcking horrendous every time

Edited by Beaker71

I think it is the morons versus the just completely bland cliche-ridden dross isn't it.

Ian Wright is a total moron, as is Mark Lawrenson.

But there are so many who just spout cliches to no purpose "there was contact" "he's not that kind of a player" "it was more of a coming together" etc etc. To me they are almost worse

Is Darren Fletcher of the BBC/BT there. He’s one of the better ones IMO. Derek Rae ex BT is doing a lot of games for the international TV if your looking online for coverage. 

The BBC coverage used to be really good. They had Leonardo who was charismatic and knowledgeable and put others to shame. Also remember Marcel Desailly pulling out his winners medals when one of the English pundits was mouthing off. Klinsman was another they always had. 

Its just jobs for the boys now no matter what level of pundit the boys are. In contrast some of their radio stuff has been excellent. Marcotti, Balague, Vickery, Lowe, Honigstein among others offering a varied and informed opinion on football from all round the globe. Yet not one of them a former player. 

Watching Costa Rica vs Serbia on STV. What’s Aluko's story aside from being the token female. Was/is she a great player? It’s also pretty clear that neither Larsson or Evra value or respect her opinion at all. Rest assured the BBC and ITV won’t pull the female pundits out for the big games 

As I posted elsewhere it’s got to be Glen Hoddle with his ability to describe a shot straight at the keeper as being a shot straight at the keeper. What is so frustrating about Glen is that behind the mind numbing dullness lurks a man who should be the most entertaining thing in the World Cup. Here’s the thing - as we all know Glen’s actual views on football are , let us be polite, unorthodox. This is the man who had a spiritualist as an official member of the England back team. This is the man who had the England team walk round the pitch anti-clockwise to create positive energy ahead of a game against Argentina. This is the man whose views on reincarnation cost him the England job (fortunately for Glen ITV and BT not so fussy).This is the man.... ok I know you get the picture. Why doesn’t Glen tell us what he is really thinking? Instead of the cliche that Messi’s penalty was “at a great height for the keeper” how much better to hear about the negative karma from Lionel upsetting someone in 1792. Please ITV -unleash the real whacko bubbling under the boring surface. Viewing figures would be through the roof.

Is Darren Fletcher of the BBC/BT there. He’s one of the better ones IMO. Derek Rae ex BT is doing a lot of games for the international TV if your looking online for coverage. 

The BBC coverage used to be really good. They had Leonardo who was charismatic and knowledgeable and put others to shame. Also remember Marcel Desailly pulling out his winners medals when one of the English pundits was mouthing off. Klinsman was another they always had. 

Its just jobs for the boys now no matter what level of pundit the boys are. In contrast some of their radio stuff has been excellent. Marcotti, Balague, Vickery, Lowe, Honigstein among others offering a varied and informed opinion on football from all round the globe. Yet not one of them a former player. 

Watching Costa Rica vs Serbia on STV. What’s Aluko's story aside from being the token female. Was/is she a great player? It’s also pretty clear that neither Larsson or Evra value or respect her opinion at all. Rest assured the BBC and ITV won’t pull the female pundits out for the big games 

Aluko has recently joined Juve. So, aye, she's no bad at the fitba.

She plays women’s football and I’m sure her views on that are perfectly valid and informed. But you’d be as well getting a Sunday League player on as a pundit if she’s there on football ability alone. She can’t possibly be there for her tactical nous. Her views on Griezmann and his lack of movement were embarrassing. 

She is preferable to Mark Lawrenson though.  

had to laugh at yesterdays Australia/france match commentator, sorry don't remember who it was, but he spent about 10 minutes telling us everything we need to know about Jamie maclaren, who was coming on as a substitute, only to realise a couple of minutes after the substitution that it was somebody else that had come on

Bl**dy woman on telly talking about football. History had not been kind to all those blokes who stood up to the sufaragettes but they did warn the country that we were on a slippery slope. 

I think the suffragettes would be embarrassed that after fighting for equality, women were being given preferential treatment due to tokenism. If the woman in question had played or coached at the highest level, fair enough, but she hasn’t. She’s been given the gig so the line up resembles a Benetton advert. 

As you say, it’s a token gesture, ticks the diversity box. Neither here nor there really because her opinion isn’t any worse than that of Andy Townsend or Glenn Hoddle. 

Got to agree with @Zorro, Aye she’s no bad at the fitba, but is her level any better than that of the SPFL?  Bit off topic but we can slaughter the men’s game in this country in the national press but imagine we had done the same to the woman’s game? Hibs beat Celtic 9-0 in the league cup final, that’s a joke.

If girls and young women see female pundits, presenters and commentators maybe they are more likely to sit up and take an interest, which can’t be a bad thing. 

Saying that we should only have high-achieving male pundits is like saying you have to have caps and medals to be a good coach.