TV Coverage and the Commentators We Love to Hate.

Got to agree with @Zorro, Aye she’s no bad at the fitba, but is her level any better than that of the SPFL?  Bit off topic but we can slaughter the men’s game in this country in the national press but imagine we had done the same to the woman’s game? Hibs beat Celtic 9-0 in the league cup final, that’s a joke.

I'd stick money on Shortlees Ams beating Scotland's women's team.

That's not me being sexist, that's purely based on having watched both sides and seen the level.

Clive Tildsley: "How can that be allowed? The naughty man pushed the Brazil player! The nasty nasty man. I hate Switzerland - they are horrible nasty men! Not like Brazil. Brazil are the best! I LOVE BRAZIL!"

I don't think I have ever heard a more pathetic bleating commentator since, oh, Clive Tildsely the last time something went against England. I honestly thought the prick was going to start crying.

If girls and young women see female pundits, presenters and commentators maybe they are more likely to sit up and take an interest, which can’t be a bad thing. 

If kids see young pundits, presenters and commentators maybe they’re more likely to sit up and take an interest...

Lets get the U11 captain on to give their views on what Messi is doing wrong.

Saying that we should only have high-achieving male pundits is like saying you have to have caps and medals to be a good coach. 

No it’s nothing like that. Especially when I’ve already stated if she’d “played or coached at the highest level”. She simply isn’t qualified for the role. She’s being used to tick a box on the diversity checklist. What kind of message does that send to young girls?

Your first point is pathetic.

As for the second, I don't know why you felt my comment was aimed at you. I was making a general point about pundits and the media assumption that we only can respect the views of ex-pros.

I couldn't have less respect for the opinions of, say, Ian Wright or Robbie Savage. Too many of these guys see "punditry" as an easy way of extending their shelf-life after playing, when they have nothing interesting to say.

I'd rather listen to the views of articulate, well-qualified coaches, even if they never kicked a ball in the professional game. Instead, we have the TV and radio equivalent of a chimpanzees' tea-party.    

I haven't seen enough to say whether Enni Aluko is any good but, if she is a token female presence, then I agree that she falls into the media's same lazy format of selecting pundits.

Just now, chubbs said:

McCoist was rancid this afternoon ... worse than Lawrenceson and Townsend combined!

The first 3 minutes of the EBC coverage of the Engurlund game is a great indication of why I want then to lose... A.B.E.

Curiously enough. On the tweets, the english seem to have a full on robot chubby for Sally & his commentary.

8 minutes ago, piffer said:

Why oh why can’t Scotland, Wales and even the Irish come up with an unbiased punditry and commentary team for these games. I’ve absolutely no problem with themnailing there colours to the mast but as a neutral I’d love an impartial outlook

Press red. Select 'No commentary'

1 hour ago, Bobby14 said:

Martyn Keown on Jesse Lingard - “he was marginally offside, surely the flag shouldn’t go up if it’s that close” 

He's got a point to be fair ... assistants are under instruction to let close offside calls go and see what happens as it will be referred to VAR if a goal is scored.

2 hours ago, Isle of Wight Exile said:

Thought exactly the same when Tunisian had Pickford in trouble.  That should've gone to VAR.

Oh and don't get Lawro started on VAR! 

Correct .... assistant was wrong to flag when he did according to their pre-tournament instructions

20 hours ago, skygod said:

Your first point is pathetic.

As for the second, I don't know why you felt my comment was aimed at you. I was making a general point about pundits and the media assumption that we only can respect the views of ex-pros.

I couldn't have less respect for the opinions of, say, Ian Wright or Robbie Savage. Too many of these guys see "punditry" as an easy way of extending their shelf-life after playing, when they have nothing interesting to say.

I'd rather listen to the views of articulate, well-qualified coaches, even if they never kicked a ball in the professional game. Instead, we have the TV and radio equivalent of a chimpanzees' tea-party.    

I haven't seen enough to say whether Enni Aluko is any good but, if she is a token female presence, then I agree that she falls into the media's same lazy format of selecting pundits.

Tbh I thought your claim that little girls might be inspired to go into punditry by watching a woman so far out of her depth that she needed a deep sea diving suit to survive, to be the most ludicrous thing I’d read....but it’s all about opinions.

And I felt your comment was aimed at me because I was the one who mentioned I’d prefer the insight of players or coaches from the highest level, rather than little Miss diversity. 

Ex-players should have a 5-10 year shelf life in punditry imo. They can give a valuable insight into the mental aspects of the game, but tactics and the rules seem to leave them behind and they keep harping back to their own particular “golden era”. “Lawro” with his “there was only minimal contact” and “ it was only a small machete to the head” patter is a case in point. He’s from the land time forgot. Savage, Wright, fat Ally etc are there for their personality rather than any great insight they can give so they’d be binned with Aulko. If they don’t add anything to the coverage they’re surplus to requirements. 

The English media once again... Every time... are talking themselves into the fact that they can win the world cup. All this 'more modest' buildup is nonsense. Once they beat Panama and qualify for the next round effectively it will be fever pitch. Having said all that I suppose they are just being patriotic but this carry on that they are playing the best football at the World Cup. You were playing Algeria ffs who I think could be the second worse team in this tournament. The other big nations were playing Mexico, Iceland(remember them), Switzerland, Portugal, Spain, Australia. 

I don't doubt they will go far and they are a decent team but the way that Lineker, Lawrenson and the like go on makes it hard for other home nations to suffer 4 weeks of this. 

12 hours ago, Zorro said:

Tbh I thought your claim that little girls might be inspired to go into punditry by watching a woman so far out of her depth that she needed a deep sea diving suit to survive, to be the most ludicrous thing I’d read....but it’s all about opinions.

Ever the master of twisting words! 

I said that seeing female presenters, commentators and pundits could get girls and young women more interested in the game. 

Since football coverage in the media began, it has been dominated by men, and often not the best examples of the species. 

I find it refreshing that, by merit or tokenism, women have begun to break into this all-male world despite those who mutter “Bloody women - what do they know about football?”, or “Can’t they stick to talking about women’s football?”

Women’s football is growing and improving at a phenomenal rate, there are more women than ever it seems watching men’s football, and girls and women are breaking into coaching. 

They are even taking over the boardrooms FFS!

If people were happy with the all-male elite pontificating on the sofas and behind the mics, the news is that those days are over. 

It all reminds me of the time Brian Moore asked Don Howe in some far-off World Cup TV studio, “What about the misses, Don?”

“Oh, she’s fine, at home!”

Edited by skygod

15 hours ago, chubbs said:

McCoist was rancid this afternoon ... worse than Lawrenceson and Townsend combined!

The first 3 minutes of the EBC coverage of the Engurlund game is a great indication of why I want then to lose... A.B.E.

I thought McCoist was miles better than them. He's a useless manager but he's a decent pundit IMO. Actually does research on the teams etc.

2 hours ago, skygod said:

Ever the master of twisting words! 

I said that seeing female presenters, commentators and pundits could get girls and young women more interested in the game. 

Since football coverage in the media began, it has been dominated by men, and often not the best examples of the species. 

I find it refreshing that, by merit or tokenism, women have begun to break into this all-male world despite those who mutter “Bloody women - what do they know about football?”, or “Can’t they stick to talking about women’s football?”

Women’s football is growing and improving at a phenomenal rate, there are more women than ever it seems watching men’s football, and girls and women are breaking into coaching. 

They are even taking over the boardrooms FFS!

If people were happy with the all-male elite pontificating on the sofas and behind the mics, the news is that those days are over. 

It all reminds me of the time Brian Moore asked Don Howe in some far-off World Cup TV studio, “What about the misses, Don?”

“Oh, she’s fine, at home!

Blah, blah, blah. Nobody has suggested woman shouldn’t be involved. I’d even go further and integrate the men’s and woman’s game so it was just football, that’s how PC and right on I am. However, I want the people talking about it to be there on merit. You can stick your tokenism where the sun don’t shine. It’s a s**t condescending attitude. 

Fantastic stuff. 1-0 "We will win this World Cup, we are the best team by a mile", 1-1 " this is dire, Southgate must go", "2-1" The trophy is back in the bag".

I love how they swing wildly between optimism and pessimism it is a joy to be hold.

Would it hurt them to say " we should be one of the top 8-10 teams so if we play well we should get to at least the quarters", but no they have to be either going to win it at a canter or crash out at the first hurdle and the view can change by the minute...

Watched Spain v Portugal on the BBC Red button with the Radio 5 live Geordie commentary team of John Murray and Chris Waddle.

They'd Mark Chapman from MoTD2 and Pat Nevin at half time, although they just give you the standard from the stadium feed at HT- which is pretty good actually, same with build up pre match, is teams in tunnel warm ups and stuff.

All the telly I've watched's been totally crap by comparison, ex pro's stating the obvious.  Less atmospheric build up in a TV studio.

The Radio's really good if there's moving TV pictures and no Aberdeen chat!

Edited by RAG

3 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

Fantastic stuff. 1-0 "We will win this World Cup, we are the best team by a mile", 1-1 " this is dire, Southgate must go", "2-1" The trophy is back in the bag".

I love how they swing wildly between optimism and pessimism it is a joy to be hold.

Would it hurt them to say " we should be one of the top 8-10 teams so if we play well we should get to at least the quarters", but no they have to be either going to win it at a canter or crash out at the first hurdle and the view can change by the minute...

Scottish football journalists used to be labelled as "fans with typewriters", this lot are no different. Lineaker, Shearer, Ferdinand, Lampard (at present) have never been successful managers and can't analyse a game, particularly an England game, rationally.