Brexit

Gallus

All of the issues the country faces right now with labour shortages have many causes. Covid is a factor, agaging population is another. But anybody who tries to tell themselves that leaving the EU is not aggravating the situation us deluding themselves IMO. 

And as for increasing the wages of the low paid that is removing the burden that Blair imposed on the country when he invited so many who were willing to work for buttons in from Eastern Europe in order to boost the UK economy. There is going to be a huge hangover from that, taking that crutch away from the economy. I dont think ut will be a bad thing in the long term, so 10 or 20 years but it will be painful now as prices head for the sky.

• 2 weeks later...

Another Brexit bonus:

Frost reveals plans to bring back imperial measures and crowns on pint glasses

Lord Frost has set out proposals to strip legacy EU regulations from British law.

inisters have set out plans for the return of the crown stamp on pint glasses and pledged to review a ban on marking and selling products in imperial units.

The move came as Brexit minister Lord Frost set out plans to ditch Brussels’ rules and claimed “gloom-mongers” have been proved wrong following the UK’s departure from the European Union.

The Government intends to review the content of retained EU law – which was preserved in UK law for continuity after the transition period ended in December 2020.

Lord Frost’s comments came despite ongoing uncertainty over Northern Ireland’s trading arrangements and shortages in shops across the UK, which critics say Brexit has exacerbated.

The minister told peer: “A lot of things haven’t happened that the gloom-mongers said would happen and I don’t think are going to happen.”

He said, “this economy and this country is prospering vastly already under the arrangements that we are putting in place” adding: “High standards need to reflect the context we are operating in.

“I am sure there will be change, but don’t believe those changes will result in regression of standards.”

He said the purpose of the reforms was to “improve the productivity of the UK by putting in place regulations that are tailored to our conditions”.

Measures include permitting the voluntary printing of the crown stamp on pint glasses and reviewing the EU ban on markings and sales in pounds and ounces – with legislation “in due course”.

Other reforms include introducing digital driving licences, test certificates and MOT processes.

Shareholders will be able to have digital certificates instead of paper ones and regulations governing clinical trials and medical devices will be changed.

Lord Frost insisted: “We are a high standards country. That doesn’t mean we don’t intend to change them. The world moves on.

“High standards need to reflect the context we are operating in.

“I am sure there will be change, but don’t believe those changes will result in regression of standards.”

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/david-frost-emily-thornberry-brexit-government-british-b955813.html

Perhaps they will bring back old money as well?

Edited by Prahakillie

2 hours ago, Prahakillie said:

Another Brexit bonus:

Lord Frost has set out proposals to strip legacy EU regulations from British law.

inisters have set out plans for the return of the crown stamp on pint glasses and pledged to review a ban on marking and selling products in imperial units.

The move came as Brexit minister Lord Frost set out plans to ditch Brussels’ rules and claimed “gloom-mongers” have been proved wrong following the UK’s departure from the European Union.

The Government intends to review the content of retained EU law – which was preserved in UK law for continuity after the transition period ended in December 2020.

Lord Frost’s comments came despite ongoing uncertainty over Northern Ireland’s trading arrangements and shortages in shops across the UK, which critics say Brexit has exacerbated.

The minister told peer: “A lot of things haven’t happened that the gloom-mongers said would happen and I don’t think are going to happen.”

He said, “this economy and this country is prospering vastly already under the arrangements that we are putting in place” adding: “High standards need to reflect the context we are operating in.

He said the purpose of the reforms was to “improve the productivity of the UK by putting in place regulations that are tailored to our conditions”.

Measures include permitting the voluntary printing of the crown stamp on pint glasses and reviewing the EU ban on markings and sales in pounds and ounces – with legislation “in due course”.

Other reforms include introducing digital driving licences, test certificates and MOT processes.

Shareholders will be able to have digital certificates instead of paper ones and regulations governing clinical trials and medical devices will be changed.

Lord Frost insisted: “We are a high standards country. That doesn’t mean we don’t intend to change them. The world moves on.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/david-frost-emily-thornberry-brexit-government-british-b955813.html

As per usual, this is just a ridiculous action from the government to draw attention away from the deregulation of the financial sector, deregulation of medical devices (to allow for purchase of american equipment that doesn't meet EU standards), and weakening of data protection rules.  Those are the substantive initial changes they want to make.  I suspect next up will be more extensive removal of consumer protections and then employee protections.

2 hours ago, Lorielus said:

As per usual, this is just a ridiculous action from the government to draw attention away from the deregulation of the financial sector, deregulation of medical devices (to allow for purchase of american equipment that doesn't meet EU standards), and weakening of data protection rules.  Those are the substantive initial changes they want to make.  I suspect next up will be more extensive removal of consumer protections and then employee protections.

Indeed. All good reasons to vote not to stay in the new UK in the event of another indyref.

41 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Will a Snickers become a Marathon again? 

And Starburst become Opal Fruits.

Utter f**king clowns, i cannot understand Scots who believe these absolute shower of c**ts are a better idea for Scotland than anyone we would pick ourselves, literally anyone we can think of, even when pished.

46 minutes ago, mackpomm said:

.....without wishing to other the good Lord, whilst most have ten to assist with sums, there's nothing concrete in any of the usual sources about how many fingers he had.

Ye could start a new denomination based on the idea The Lord actually had an extra finger on each hand and that explains the number of disciples.

11 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Ye could start a new denomination based on the idea The Lord actually had an extra finger on each hand and that explains the number of disciples.

Och there's probably enough denominations already? And there's no evidence he put it to good use, like playing classical guitar or making rabbit hand shadows, only just mair joabs fur the boys.

14 hours ago, Prahakillie said:

Another Brexit bonus:

Sadly your last comment is not a joke and there is a group of hard right tory loonies lobbying for "pounds shillings and pence". Farage etc of course firmly on that bandwagon as well

12 hours ago, Lorielus said:

Apparently Raab's mission is to repeal the Human Rights Act

11 hours ago, KenVaagen1984 said:

Sadly your last comment is not a joke and there is a group of hard right tory loonies lobbying for "pounds shillings and pence". Farage etc of course firmly on that bandwagon as well

Next we will be switching back to Ptolemy's planetary model because copernicus was German.

Would be interesting to see how many folk under 50 actually understand imperial measurements, never mind being able to calculate with them!

A pint is 568ml, I always need to remind myself..

Is no problem with goods being marked and sold in imperial units, as long as is clearly marked in both; 1 pint = 568ml. Tesco good at that on their milk bottles! Haha

Edited by RAG

4 hours ago, RAG said:

Would be interesting to see how many folk under 50 actually understand imperial measurements, never mind being able to calculate with them!

A pint is 568ml, I always need to remind myself..

Is no problem with goods being marked and sold in imperial units, as long as is clearly marked in both; 1 pint = 568ml. Tesco good at that on their milk bottles! Haha

Just remember a pint us just more than half a litre and a pound us jyst less than half a kilogram and te cant go wrong. Well not far wrong anyway.

3 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Just remember a pint us just more than half a litre and a pound us jyst less than half a kilogram and te cant go wrong. Well not far wrong anyway.

A pint is 568ml, a pound is 454g. Important to know the finer detail, especially when one is ordering a round of beers, or a couple of XL cheeseburgers..

38 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Wouldn't it be nice to just go about your business with as little govt inflicted hassle as possible. Just been to Wem garage and folk panic buying fuel. Yet another feckin fiasco. 

It wouldn't have happened without Brexit.  

Only partially true . There are driver shortages throughout the EU which you’ll know about .

The panic buying is being fuelled by the media IMO . 

1 hour ago, Bonbon19 said:

Only partially true . There are driver shortages throughout the EU which you’ll know about .

The panic buying is being fuelled by the media IMO . 

Stop lying to people, Grant Shapps ! Yes there are shortages of drivers in the EU too but it's not leading to empty shelves or petrol stations closing because drivers work freely all over the continent And to say Brexit is making things better is just mind-boggling

@KayBurley

Gaun Yersel Kay!