New recruits

Killie_cammyu84

6 hours ago, skygod said:

Absolutely. Some were saying the Ayr match was the biggest game of the season and that the season was a bogey when we lost.

Some thought we were headed for a relegation dogfight after the first eight league matches.

It pays to keep things in perspective. 

The result of the opening league won’t define our season, that is absolutely correct. 

However, it was entirely reasonable for anyone to think we were heading for a relegation dogfight after the first 8 games last season. In fact both results and performances meant that this was by far the most logical assumption at that time  

10 hours ago, skygod said:

I saw Saints’ new striker Cody Cooke playing for Truro City (sixth tier) at the end of the season. 

He’s very raw - maybe one for the future but it’s not the type of signing we need to worry about. 

I saw Josh Heaton play for Darlington. Looks a good prospect and the locals rated him. (St Mirren). Probably wouldn't get into our team straight away, though.

6 minutes ago, historyman said:

However, it was entirely reasonable for anyone to think we were heading for a relegation dogfight after the first 8 games last season. In fact both results and performances meant that this was by far the most logical assumption at that time  

I would say that the most logical assumption at the time was that there would be a change of management and performances and results might improve as a result, but it's just my opinion.

20 hours ago, Killie_cammyu84 said:

When realistically can we expect there to be news regards new signings. Just a see motherwell have made moves and so have st mirren who also paid a fee for a player. A am concerned that we seem to be starting back training later than other teams also and seem very unorganized or that we have don't have a plan of action in place. Just fear the positivity might be bit unheralded by lack of transfer business 

Are you kidding?

Steve will have everything lined up as he sees fit and we as supporters will just sit back and watch the new season pick up and run forward from the excitement of last year,

relax.

10 hours ago, Fletch said:

Steve Clarke won't be in a rush. We have 16-17 first team squad players. I could see 5 or 6 coming in but we have the luxury of waiting until the right players are available to genuinely strengthen rather than getting players in to fill spaces and try to get them up to the level. We even have cover, albeit not great cover, for most positions other than right back. If the league cup started tomorrow, even without Jordan Jones or any players who we aren't sure on their contract situation, we could see a squad that looks something like;

Macdonald

SOD

Taylor

Broadfoot

Boyd

McKenzie

Kiltie

Power

Dicker

Boyd

Erwin

SUB McKay

SUB Higgins

SUB Waters

SUB Thomas

SUB Wilson

SUB Frizzell

SUB Brophy

Do we need to strengthen? Yes, but we're not really in any great rush and that pool of players should be good enough to see us through the league cup if it came to it even though I expect a couple of signings in before then. If we successfully strengthen on that pool of players with some higher quality then we should be in a good position for the start of the season.

Agree no need to panick on signings and that sc will have his targets. But let’s be clear, the team/ squad above is not likely to make top6. Its a good necleus but it’s jj and mulumbu that make the difference. We have top class full backs but the rest of the squad is no better than the majority of the teams in the spl. If jj leaves and mulumbu signs for another team ( both almost certain) we need to bring in REAL quality or we will be looking at 7th to 10th. I believe we will.

8 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Agree no need to panick on signings and that sc will have his targets. But let’s be clear, the team/ squad above is not likely to make top6. Its a good necleus but it’s jj and mulumbu that make the difference. We have top class full backs but the rest of the squad is no better than the majority of the teams in the spl. If jj leaves and mulumbu signs for another team ( both almost certain) we need to bring in REAL quality or we will be looking at 7th to 10th. I believe we will.

I'm not saying that's the team we should go into the season with. 

2 hours ago, skygod said:

I would say that the most logical assumption at the time was that there would be a change of management and performances and results might improve as a result, but it's just my opinion.

The most logical assumption 8 games into last season's league campaign was that we were utterly daffy ducked. To say anything otherwise takes away from the magnitude of what Clarke and Dyer achieved. I doubt any of the other candidates available would have had the same impact and I doubt many of them would have kept us up.

40 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I'm not saying that's the team we should go into the season with. 

Fletch, to be fair your point was clear. I just used the fact you listed a squad to demonstrate my wider point, that despite the optimism we need real quality to hit the heights of last season. The fact that we did good business end of season on current squad was encouraging and BUT we had game changers last season. Without them we will hopefully be away from relegation but no better than Motherwell or st Johnstone. Unless we get like for like replacements.

17 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Fletch, to be fair your point was clear. I just used the fact you listed a squad to demonstrate my wider point, that despite the optimism we need real quality to hit the heights of last season. The fact that we did good business end of season on current squad was encouraging and BUT we had game changers last season. Without them we will hopefully be away from relegation but no better than Motherwell or st Johnstone. Unless we get like for like replacements.

There is of course no guarantee that the key players of last season will be the key players of next. Preseason is a clean slate. Some guys will kick on, some will stay the same and some will go backwards. There are a few guys in the group who could be game changers 

I’ve got really high hopes for Erwin this coming season. If he continues where he left off at the end of last he could be a star. Bit of pace, power, skill, decent in the air and on the deck, can finish. He’s got the attributes to be a top player. IMO his attitude let him down at the start of last season but as that seemed to improve so did his game. 

As others have said Kiltie could be like a new signing. Fully fit with a preseason behind him hopefully he gets back to his best.

1 hour ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Without them we will hopefully be away from relegation but no better than Motherwell or st Johnstone. Unless we get like for like replacements.

Your forgetting we've got Steve Clarke.

Even with an equivalent squad to Motherwell or Saint Johnstone we would do better.  

The game changers didn't get us fith last year,  Steve did.  They certainly helped though.  

14 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Achieving a top six place will be hard as realistically there should only be one free space if the other bigger teams get their act together. 

If we finish 6th -8th I won’t be disappointed. I think it will be tougher for us next season and assuming they are not here I agree that it would be hard to replace Jones and Mulumbu with the same quality of player.

Until he signs for someone else there is always a chance that Mulumbu will stay on. Still find it strange that Finlay hasn’t signed yet.  

But certainly no need to panic, we probably have the best manager that we have had since the 1960s - including the late, great TB. 

Edited by historyman

On 6/22/2018 at 12:27 PM, Wrangodog said:

Without Steve Clarke and Alex Dyer we would have been in a relegation dogfight. There was no sign of any improvement in form until they took over and if the board hadn't been given a nudge in their direction the successor to McCulloch would probably have been one of the merry go round of unemployed Scottish managers.

:15: we wouldn't have been anywhere near a relegation dogfight. We'd have been comfortably bottom. 

21 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

I don't think Hearts will be in the top six. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they finished about 9th. 

With that in mind, I'd say there is two places from six available at split.

Craig Levein to have a public meltdown please. 

Edited by cammy_boy

39 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

I don't think Hearts will be in the top six. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they finished about 9th. 

With that in mind, I'd say there is two places from six available at split.

They're going to be massive and ugly to watch. It could be successful. 

Hopefully not.