Cup of Cheats

After Neymar's antics this afternoon, for which IMO he should have been red-carded for persistent diving/ feigning injury long before he even got his penalty that never was, let alone his goal -  I think this deserves a wee thread of its own.

What kind of example are these guys setting??

Pepe and Neymar (both blatantly and repeatedly), and Ronaldo (in a more sleekit way when it's counted) have been key offenders in my opinion.

But this is modern football I guess?

46 minutes ago, david mcbeth said:

After Neymar's antics this afternoon, for which IMO he should have been red-carded for persistent diving/ feigning injury long before he even got his penalty that never was, let alone his goal -  I think this deserves a wee thread of its own.

What kind of example are these guys setting??

Pepe and Neymar (both blatantly and repeatedly), and Ronaldo (in a more sleekit way when it's counted) have been key offenders in my opinion.

But this is modern football I guess?

Not a fan of Neymar but he did get whacked a good few times plus the ref booked him. I normally support the underdog but the Costa Rican diving and injury feigning to waste time was worse than anything Neymar did, the best football team won.

28 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

the Costa Rican diving and injury feigning to waste time was worse than anything Neymar did, the best football team won.

Agree with this.  Costa Rica were embarrassing in the end with their antics.

Neymar was fouled repeatedly during the game and the referee didn't do enough to protect him.

Contact is allowed in football, it has to be enough contact to merit a foul - very difficult to see in slow mo from 15 angles under VAR, now the games played at breakneck pace

Players in the past dived and cheated the ref from his viewpoint at World Cups, now it's simulation and playing for a touch and for the VAR decision.

We don't do cheating on a World Cup level in the UK or arguably in European football!

If you think this is bad, by all accounts, South American club football is the absolute worst..

Edited by RAG

I think this World Cup has been particularly outstanding for pantomime overacting.

I was brought up in a culture where even complaining about genuinely being kicked up in the air was seen as being a "Big Jessie". And the way to high status was to be indestructible.

So some of the stuff I have been watching this time around, particularly in slo-mo is quite farcical And I agree Neymar should have been at least booked for his nonsense.

On 6/24/2018 at 3:55 PM, gdevoy said:

I think this World Cup has been particularly outstanding for pantomime overacting.

I was brought up in a culture where even complaining about genuinely being kicked up in the air was seen as being a "Big Jessie". And the way to high status was to be indestructible.

So some of the stuff I have been watching this time around, particularly in slo-mo is quite farcical And I agree Neymar should have been at least booked for his nonsense.

Pathetic to watch dont these players know var will pick  up their oscar antics

10 hours ago, killie1961 said:

Pathetic to watch dont these players know var will pick  up their oscar antics

Certainly Ronaldo was caught out with a wee fly forearm smash on the referees blind side last night.

Thought the Iran penalty was V. Harsh on Portugal though.

Thought Portugal v Iran was the worst yet with both teams constantly diving, feigning injury, leaving [arms, legs, knees, studs - delete as applicable] in at every chance, and calling for VAR every time the ball went out for a shy.

Not helped by a ref who made the worst use of VAR yet to give two laughable penalties.

Still I suppose it made for dramatic effect...

Not sure why but the words Derrick McDicken popped into my heads reading this.

And this is part of the problem. The game is completely different to the one you watched growing up - it's faster and much more technical. It doesn't take much of a touch to knock you off your feet when you're running full pelt, but with all these "barely touched him" comments it makes the players overexaggerate fouls to make sure they win the foul. 

17 hours ago, Cill Mheàrnaig said:

And this is part of the problem. The game is completely different to the one you watched growing up - it's faster and much more technical. It doesn't take much of a touch to knock you off your feet when you're running full pelt, but with all these "barely touched him" comments it makes the players overexaggerate fouls to make sure they win the foul. 

That is one dimension to it but things like Pepe rolling around holding his eye when he has been slapped on the back at walking pace are nothing to do with anything other than cheating to try and con the ref and get an opponent sent off. Ditto the Iran player who turned a Ronaldo missed slap into a direct hit in the chops from Mike Tyson

On 6/30/2018 at 9:12 PM, Beaker71 said:

Have to agree Suarez is a cheating  little scrote,  but he canny half play.

Uraguay will take some beating as they are very solid and can of both are up for it, tear any defence to bits.

thats the frustrating thing for me, they've enough talent that they shouldn't need to do this kind of play acting. I watched France doing it against Iceland ffs. 

Neymar excelled himself yesterday judging by the "stamp" incident and his reaction to it. Then as if he hasn't made enough of an arse of himself he chooses to go off on one about how he is such a delicate flower, nobody understands him and everybody else (except him of course) is an attention seeker in his post match interview. Reminded me of the old Monty Python "I want to be alone" thing. What a complete spoiled brat and egotistical cheating little nyaff this guy is.

correct

2 hours ago, david mcbeth said:

Neymar excelled himself yesterday judging by the "stamp" incident and his reaction to it. Then as if he hasn't made enough of an arse of himself he chooses to go off on one about how he is such a delicate flower, nobody understands him and everybody else (except him of course) is an attention seeker in his post match interview. Reminded me of the old Monty Python "I want to be alone" thing. What a complete spoiled brat and egotistical cheating little nyaff this guy is.

This guy has made me hate watching Brazil. And for that alone, he should be banned....forever. 

the Brazilian guy on 5Live was talking last night about it. He blames his education and upbringing and the bubble Neymar lives within. I've heard him say twice now, when prices have recently fallen in Brazil's economy they actually say , "the prices have Neymar'd". They all know he goes down too easily and that his antics are ridiculous, but he keeps getting away with it and occasionally comes up with a moment of brilliance. The 'refs not protecting players' line is nonsense. The rules are such now that players dont go in to hurt their opponents. Suarez and Neymar can get tae f**k, I hate their conduct. 

It's almost impossible to referee this kind of situation. So, I'd start off with, for every rollypolly you do, you should spend 1 minute of treatment off the park to attend to what must be a horrific injury. If you flop about like a fish thats just been landed on the deck of a boat, 5 minutes in the ambulance to make sure you're awright. For the pedants, the offender should sit on the sidelines too until the doctors deem the 'foulee' able to walk again. 

Lastly on Neymar. There was big licks given to his back heel control the other day, I think it was against Sweden. Yeah, great touch, but it killed the break dead, he then had to knock the ball forward and start running on to it. All the while the defenders have scurried and recovered back to their defensive positions. He should have taken it forward with his first touch, like Messi did with his goal against Nigeria. the momentum would've carried on, and his TEAM would've had a better chance of scoring. A selfish, arrogant little prick, I cant stand him. /ends

12 minutes ago, fmcc said:

This guy has made me hate watching Brazil. And for that alone, he should be banned....forever. 

Officials have been loath to punish any "simulation" in this competition no matter how blatant. In fact I cant think of a single instance where a player has been punished for Neymyring.

To be fair to officials they have largely just blanked the glaring overacting. I would like top see these people publicly flogged but perhaps, as with weans throwing a hissy fit, ignoring them is the best strategy.

I agree that the refs have been ignoring a lot of it and I think the refs have been much more wise to it than they usually are. I think the introduction of VAR has actually helped the ref's overall game. 

I think there was one instance, I think it was Son vs Germany, he was fouled imo and should've got a pen, but the ref booked him for diving. But there has hardly been any. Perhaps there has actually been a reduction in players cheating due to VAR.