Mascot experience

samo

Charging £120 to be a mascot  

197 members have voted

1. 1. Charging £120 to be a mascot

• Not an issue
    • A big mistake

6 minutes ago, samo said:

I see the club have revamped the "mascot experience" and are charging 120 quid per child. 

Didn't this used to be free?

Think it was part of the young Killie.

Having looked at what you get, I think £120 is decent value.

Certainly compared to other clubs.

@Brianstorm have already signed up to it (for the wee man, not him)

6 minutes ago, samo said:

I see the club have revamped the mascot experience and are charging 120 quid per child. 

Didn't this used to be free? 

Aye. But, you get more for your money, no?:

Package to include:
• Arrive at Stadium 2 hours before kick off
• 2 complimentary tickets for 2 accompanying adults, plus mascot ticket
• Entry into the home team dressing room to meet the players to get autographs/photographs (photographs e-mailed to you after the match)
• Mascots and guests to sit in Executive Club until 2.00 pm – complimentary soft drinks
• A match day programme to be signed by your heroes
• Mascot photograph in the match day programme
• Receive an official team sheet with your name on it
• Pre-match kick about on the pitch
• Lead the teams out on to the pitch before kick off
• Professional photo taken by one of our photographers with both captains and officials (e-mailed to you)
• Special seats behind the dugout to watch the match
• Half time refreshments in the Sports Bar for mascot and 2 other guests
• Gift bag to include certificate signed by Captain, programme to be signed by players, personalised mug, KCST voucher offering 20% off holiday camps and birthday parties

8 minutes ago, samo said:

Most of the above was included previously.

Perhaps for a family with one kid then 120 quid is justifiable

if you've 3 kids that are all football daft would 360 quid be? 

Depends what your disposable income is I suppose. I was never a mascot and it never did me any harm (no jokes at the back).

Like it or loathe it, it's a decent earner for the club. Be daft not to make the most of it.

I know that's not ideal for families that can't afford it but c'est la vie.

If I was a kid and a parent asked me if I wanted a party (which would probably cost more than £120) or to be mascot, I know what I'd choose.

For a special occasion I don't think the price is that bad but agree not everyone can afford it.

Disposable income dictates involvement with community based football club. Not a fan of this at all.

Fine for those with money who will no doubt see no issue with it. But counter productive to community engagement. Would much rather have seen it “sold” to a sponsor and given away to young fans from all backgrounds.

The club should realise that it’s around 50% of an min wage over 25s weekly wage if they get 45 hours a week. 

Disapointed to be honest. 

My son was the mascot against Ayr in the nineties. I bought a camcorder for about £600, the size of a small suitcase. Probably would cost ten times less in real terms now. Anyway, an old guy kept filling up a vodka that he gave me. The video is shakier than an early scotsport film. The boy was instructed to run out like the clappers so as not to annoy Bobby Williamson (Captain). It was all free, vodka included. Although the video camera cancelled out the savings.

1 hour ago, Onlyonecolinmckee said:

Disposable income dictates involvement with community based football club. Not a fan of this at all.

Fine for those with money who will no doubt see no issue with it. But counter productive to community engagement. Would much rather have seen it “sold” to a sponsor and given away to young fans from all backgrounds.

The club should realise that it’s around 50% of an min wage over 25s weekly wage if they get 45 hours a week. 

Disapointed to be honest. 

It will just be too expensive for a lot of people.

Edited by Mclean07

I don’t agree with charging for this. There are alot of families who could not afford £120. My nephew was mascot a couple of years ago and I was it in 1992 against Morton. They were both great days and I have brilliant photos from those days. Our club has improved so much in the last year and community engagement seems a big part of what our club is now. Don’t get me wrong it’s okay money for our club as there will be 2 mascots per match day. It’s hardly likely money that would bring in a further pamper though. The previous post regarding selling this to a sponsor is a great idea.

3 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Depends what your disposable income is I suppose. I was never a mascot and it never did me any harm (no jokes at the back).

Like it or loathe it, it's a decent earner for the club. Be daft not to make the most of it.

I know that's not ideal for families that can't afford it but c'est la vie.

If I was a kid and a parent asked me if I wanted a party (which would probably cost more than £120) or to be mascot, I know what I'd choose.

For a special occasion I don't think the price is that bad but agree not everyone can afford it.

I bet you still have a party with a bouncy castle and goodie bags :) 

Kinda think this goes against the grain of “community club” TBH. Cashing in for a couple of bob isn’t really worth it against promoting it as a “special” day, especially for under- priviliged kids or those with problems. Even having kids from the various kids clubs would be better PR. 

The KCST have several hundred kids attending various things each week such as mini kickers etc.

Surely the club should be looking to  encourage them along every week?  IMO if kids knew there's a chance of becoming a mascot they'd be more likely to attend every week and   200 odd  kids paying £2.50  every week   will bring in more money in the long run. 

Edited by samo

It looks like most of our direct competitor clubs charge similar amounts and some of them have many more kids each match:

MASCOT PACKAGES AVAILABLE FOR 2017/18 SEASON

Ayr United charge £5 more and that's arriving just 45 minutes before kick-off.

If we want the club to compete financially, they have to be allowed to exploit the same opportunities.

If the club has 200 kids coming in each week, there must be ways to incentivise them to attend matches which reach more than being one of three mascots every other week would.

Edited by skygod

it is excellent value i would say, but there is obviously families which cannot afford this and its the kids missing the opportunity i feel for. The idea of sponsers buying the mascot slots and giving them to the kids is a excellent idea. Can see pros and cons to both arguments.

My first thought was 'how can they justify the cost?' On second viewing I think it looks good value for the price and we have moaned for years about the lack of marketing around the club.

Appreciate the concerns around charging for it and pricing out fans but there's got to be a small percentage of fans who've ever made it onto the pitch as a mascot.

We could make several places available as competition prizes over the course of the season right enough. 

Community club or not I doubt every financial decision is going to please everyone.