He could have been a contender....

Thebigguy68

Sean Dillon was an amazing prospect, unfortunately he ended up more Port Glasgow than Porto.

Jim Lauchlan, if he had been half the player he thought he was, he'd have been twice the player he was.

Kevin Mcgowne was on the verge of the Scotland squad before Gordon Marshall got injured, Kevin wasn't the same player without Gordon marshalling him.

Derek McDicken, Big D, greatest centre half ever to pull on a Killie shirt. Denied a move to West ham by the board of directums, and still gave his all week in week out (nb* Andy Millen).  

49 minutes ago, robkil said:

Disgraceful that he was allowed to stay on the park after that tackle.

Correct. Because the gutless referee would have to send off a ceptic player. Just another decision that favors the OF. And they think they are hard done by.  

17 minutes ago, DG5 said:

Correct. Because the gutless referee would have to send off a ceptic player. Just another decision that favors the OF. And they think they are hard done by.  

I don't even think it was McCurry for once. But you can't have Old Firm players getting sent off against diddy teams. It is against the rules. 

Caldwell's was an absolute atrocity of a tackle, probably the worst since the one that ended Gordon Wylde's career up at Firhill. Different colour card at that one - wonder why???

9 hours ago, historyman said:

McKee - a talent wasted

Skora - tragic that his career ended so early. Was a wonderful piece of business by Jefferies to bring him to RP

Burke & Bagan - looked like they would both achieve more in their careers

Dillon & Barbour - both looked great prospects when they broke into the team but they didn’t progress

Hodge - great potential not fulfilled because of injuries. Maybe he still has the chance to return to the senior game in the future

Apart from Hodge, the other 5 can blame attitude for their demise.

In fact, in the case of Burke, Bagan and Dillion (especially Dillion) you could probably blame the Metro in Saltcoats!

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Apart from Hodge, the other 5 can blame attitude for their demise.

In fact, in the case of Burke, Bagan and Dillion (especially Dillion) you could probably blame the Metro in Saltcoats!

I never thought that Bagan was particularly great. It's hard to remember many standout games that he had for Killie. 

Burke, on the other hand, could have had a decent career. He had similar pace to JJ. 

8 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

Dirty bast**d Caldwell. The tackle actually features in "some of football's most horrific injuries". 

Talking of dirty bast**ds, thats a close call between Caldwell & Gregory Stevens, the guy responsible for breaking Albert Morrison's leg.

Edited by C4mmy31

13 minutes ago, Killie1970 said:

And rightly so. My thinking was that he could have moved to the English leagues and produced the goods there, if he hadn't chosen to join the police

I'm sure he had the chance to move to Stoke and the Killie board are the time were arseholes about it and blocked the move.

He had to join the police by age 30 and as e were part time, he quit football to take up his career.

Can't really blame him. Let's face it, the Killie board at the time were self serving bellends by all accounts.

7 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm sure he had the chance to move to Stoke and the Killie board are the time were arseholes about it and blocked the move.

He had to join the police by age 30 and as e were part time, he quit football to take up his career.

Can't really blame him. Let's face it, the Killie board at the time were self serving bellends by all accounts.

Run by local butchers the Lauchlans. Thought big Clarke was a class act and he served us well. The board at that time were terrible. There was a stench about the place not unlike what we've had to endure in recent years just gone by.

I certainly hope Greg Kiltie can have a good pre season and rediscover his previous form. A really important player in a much poorer team a few seasons back. 

Two bad injuries happened to Naismith and he has been able to come through it and forged a great career. Others obviously have gone the other way.

Greg is still young and has a quick mind on the park which means he can make and see passes others in our squad arent capable of. 

Unfortunately he hasn’t really been fit under Clarke. Also the additions of Brophy, Jones and Erwin have stifled his playing opportunities in the latter part of the season.

Im looking forward to seeing him back in pre season , hopefully can force his way back into our 11.

1 hour ago, jazza said:

Gary McCutcheon is one that springs to mind. IIRC did he not score a double v Aberdeen on his first appearance? Thought he would be big. 

Only if he joined Pygmy United would Gary McCutcheon be big, and even then it’s doubtful!

Tommy McLean had his international career ended by joining Rangers. 

17 hours ago, CB said:

Didn't Fernandez have his cruciate snapped by that dick Caldwell?

Of course, I was at the game......must still be traumatised and blanking it out......was horrendous and for sure took some good years away from Fernandez.......wish we had got him from airdrie same time as sanjuan and Calderon...he was a top talent at Livvy...

19 hours ago, fraz65 said:

Paul Flexney was a decent central defender but had his Killie career ended through injury.

Gordon Wylde is another who comes to mind. 

Both were approaching the autumn of their careers when injured though, so not really contenders. 

Barrie McKay could have been a good player for Killie but he was released following an injury and has subsequently had a decent career. 

Gordon Wylde was only 23 when he signed for Killie and only 25 when he suffered the horrendous challenge that finished his Killie career, so I wouldn't say he was in the autumn of his career. I would have loved to have seen Gordon Wylde playing in midfield beside Tommy Burns.

Wylde was one on my mind. I saw his debut when he got sent off but he was developing into a very good player at that level. I guess that’s the point...at that level....hard to judge how good a Lenny Lowe or Gordon wlyde woukd have been but digiacomo looked a star at spl level at a very young age...

andy maclaren was another one. Top talent but career stunted by addiction. But would not have played for killie otherwise.

I was also at Gordon Wylde's debut and was left wondering what we had signed after his sending off, but he did turn out to be a good player for us at that time. You make a good point about the level both he and Lenny Lowe were playing at, and I agree with you about Paul Di Giacomo- very much a lost talent at the highest level.

Chris Johnston is one of a more recent vintage that springs to mind.

5 hours ago, DuncanEwart said:

Gordon Wylde was only 23 when he signed for Killie and only 25 when he suffered the horrendous challenge that finished his Killie career, so I wouldn't say he was in the autumn of his career. I would have loved to have seen Gordon Wylde playing in midfield beside Tommy Burns.

He looked a lot older than 25!