It could have been so different - VAR

Thebigguy68

I personally like VAR and it’s implementation getting better by game for me. But it makes you think how different could have been - for and against - for killie if all games had VAR. One that instantly comes to mind was hatelys equaliser at hampden in Scottish cup semi final replay versus rangers. Remember tb going mental on radio after it claiming it not over line...but there will have been many injustices that could have changed games and cups etc....red cards, pks and goals that should or should not have been goals. Memories?

Andy Mclarens goal against Inverness in the cup. Clearly over the line & Sean McSkimmings disallowed goal against St Johnstone in another Cup game. Same game where TB fell to his knees when his chip went over the bar. Sean was clearly onside when the ball was crossed to him. We would have taken the lead in that game & it could have been so different.  

Just now, red_dug said:

Remember being at dens midweek and martin baker 'scored' a header. Defender headed it out when his back was touching the net. NO GOAL.

Wonder what modern tech would make of the neil oliver offside one in the 97 final. 

God bless sandy roy!

Would still be offside rules.gif

I think VAR has been a success. Not every decision has been correct but more have certainly been right. 

Where else will it be used? I assume the SPFL don’t have enough money to implement it. If their past decisions are anything to go by then they’ll probably just introduce it for Tic v Sevco.  

33 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Was that a clear injustice? I’ve heard that but no real context...please add

Remember this was in 1962. Even a cup final was probably covered by just a couple of TV cameras and the film was black, white and grainy.

Press still photographs were inconclusive too, not least because it was a filthy, rainy day.

Hearts were leading 1-0 at the of the game and a Killie free-kick ended up in the net. Killie claimed that Frank Beattie had headed it in but the goal was disallowed, presumably for a handball.

Who knows? It was typical of the luck we had in those days when we were perennial runners-up.

11 minutes ago, Thebigguy68 said:

What’s about the admirals tackle on stokes in last few minutes of 2012? From memory and posts tonight we got lucky...although I spent a month in the pub without going home after that so any recolections. I hAve should probably be ignored....

Nup. Pefect tackle. Even John Fatson talked about Stokes 'delaying his dive' So, he did dive, didn't he. The answer is yes.

12 minutes ago, KillkieBoab said:

Wharton waantit hame fur his tea and decided that Big Frank had a hand in the middle of his forehead, disallowing a fabulous last minute header.

From what I remember we were all over them in the second half. We were robbed. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy Superscot said:

Tiny Wharton disallowing Frank Beattie’s equaliser in the LC Final v Hearts.

Wharton , if my failing memory serves me well, confessed that the torrential rain had an influence on his decision. Frank Beattie's arms always flailed about, anyway, and I think that what appeared to be handling was only part of an effort to control a stooping header. We'll never know now. I just remember how wonderful a player Hamilton of Hearts was. I was mesmerised.

1 hour ago, jasper said:

Wharton , if my failing memory serves me well, confessed that the torrential rain had an influence on his decision. Frank Beattie's arms always flailed about, anyway, and I think that what appeared to be handling was only part of an effort to control a stooping header. We'll never know now. I just remember how wonderful a player Hamilton of Hearts was. I was mesmerised.

The Hearts goalie & one of their defenders confirmed later that the goal should have stood as big Frank 's header was perfectly legal. not that they were complaining at the time.