If England win the 2018 World Cup...

Obviously they can in theory win as the competition is not at its usual level and they have an ok mix of the modern "winning attributes" i.e. diving/ play acting, pace and a top quality striker. Sweden lack all 3 of these attributes and I expect that England will get past them with ease but that is not a bad thing. It will build their twatty fans and commentators up to fever pitch.

In my opinion they do not possess the ability to make things happen in open play that the really top teams use to create the winning moments in the really big games.

But they could still spawn it. 

If they win their next three games then they will deserve to lift the World Cup. That's the way the competition works.

The fact their fans and pundits will be insufferable for at least the next 20 years is certainly an inevitaable consequence.  The only antidote I can see is for us to shut them up with a decent Scottish side.

8 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

If they win their next three games then they will deserve to lift the World Cup. That's the way the competition works.

The fact their fans and pundits will be insufferable for at least the next 20 years is certainly an inevitaable consequence.  The only antidote I can see is for us to shut them up with a decent Scottish side.

The last (only) time they won it we beat them in 1967 and decided we were therefore the best team in the world . It was the usual Scottish story though - a glorious , meaningless victory as we just failed to qualify for the European championships the following year. 

Mind you, we had some decent players in those days . 

Who was the worst team to win a World Cup?  Italy in 82? Argentina 86 without Maradona were an average outfit.  

Are a few garbage teams with a single goalscoring player going for the golden boot (like Harry Kane) who've won it.

With the amount of penalties due to VAR and England's basketball like moves at set pieces, our man Neymar might have to do a lot of diving in the final!

That said, is no creativity in centre midfield for this England team, Gazza or Scholes would turn this side into world beaters, but they've no-one that good in this team.

Edited by RAG

In with a great chance of at least getting to the final.Brazil,France and Belgium are all better teams but would they be certain of beating England in a one of game ?.Never near the worst team to win it and there is more to the team than Harry Kane 

Edited by Killiepies

when I watched the japan v Belgium game the overriding thought was that I was glad it wasn't Scotland playing japan as they would have put loads by us. when did japan get so good. the first Belgium goal was down to bad keeping/good luck  I am convinced had that not gone in japan would be through.

watching the world cup just enforces how bad Scotland are, hopefully there is some turnaround in my life time. 

5 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

when I watched the japan v Belgium game the overriding thought was that I was glad it wasn't Scotland playing japan as they would have put loads by us. when did japan get so good. the first Belgium goal was down to bad keeping/good luck  I am convinced had that not gone in japan would be through.

watching the world cup just enforces how bad Scotland are, hopefully there is some turnaround in my life time. 

Sadly with the total dominance of one team in Scotland, I don't see it getting better

21 hours ago, Bhamkillieken said:

when I watched the japan v Belgium game the overriding thought was that I was glad it wasn't Scotland playing japan as they would have put loads by us. when did japan get so good.

They've had a decent team for a while now. Were unlucky to lose in the quarter finals in 2002.

Edited by Fankle

If England win the world cup it would be a disaster. They are Scotlands biggest sporting rivals and we would never hear the end of it. Same way as Celtic fans don't support Rangers, Man City fans don't support Man Utd, Real Madrid don't support Barcelona. England have deserved it so far and I think their name is on it. Croatia/Belgium/France are better teams but when momentum is behind you anything can happen.