Smartphones; The Dark Side

Scooter

The Endless Bowl Of Soup is a fantastic analogy for what we are experiencing.

The Food and Brand Lab of Cornell University conducted an experiment... they mixed regular bowls of soup with bowls that had a secret hose that constantly filled the bowl with more soup. They wanted to see if people would eat more because, if the bowl isn't empty there's no cue to finish eating.

Of course, the people with 'The Endless Bowl' ate on average 74% more soup.

The social media version of this is 'the endless scroll'. If you're faced with 50 pages of comments, you might read one or two before giving up. But if you're constantly scrolling, you could end up wasting 2 hours or more before you even realise.

...and during that 2 hours, try and think how much money you have earned 'interacting' compared to how much the social network has earned.

How much you have you earned by giving 'likes', 'shares' or 'retweets'?

How much have you earned by creating content for them, those posts that reach hundreds of likes?

How much money did you make by uploading that photo that you like on Instagram?

How much time have you spent just browsing memes and what did you get in return?

Then think how much THEY have made! O.o

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

The social media version of this is 'the endless scroll'. If you're faced with 50 pages of comments, you might read one or two before giving up. But if you're constantly scrolling, you could end up wasting 2 hours or more before you even realise.

I do sometimes think "why I'm I reading this?"