2 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

I agree in part but fair does to the dignity shown and respect. Well done England

Agreed. 

Let's hope the fans in Manchester Birmingham etc show the same dignity and respect in defeat. 

Southgate is a decent guy. 

I always liked Bobby Robson, Graham Taylor and Roy Hodgson too. 

As has been stated over and over again what drives Scots to enjoy an English defeat is the media. 

1 hour ago, stewarty66 said:

Agreed. 

Let's hope the fans in Manchester Birmingham etc show the same dignity and respect in defeat. 

Southgate is a decent guy. 

I always liked Bobby Robson, Graham Taylor and Roy Hodgson too. 

As has been stated over and over again what drives Scots to enjoy an English defeat is the media. 

I agree - all of those managers were really great football men, always good to listen to on the radio and TV.  

Southgate has done really well and had the guts to drop some of old guard like Rooney and Cahill and the team was all the better for it. Very limited but well organised and made the most of what they had, almost looked like they were going to score from every free kick and corner. 

They were never good enough to win it but got a very easy route to the semis and as usual the media went into overdrive and pissed off everyone up here with their nonsense. Pretty hilarious watching Ian Wright though!!

Did better than Germany, the Argies and Spain. Not the world champions some were proclaiming but way, way above anything the Blazers at the SFA could achieve right now. So lets leave them to lick their own wounds and focus on what Croatia are doing right and we are getting so, sooo wrong.

Modric puts it across  very well:

Croatia motivated by English pundits’ lack of respect, says Luka Modric

¤ Real Madrid midfielder says media underestimated his side
 ¤They should be more humble and respect their opponents’

Luka Modric has accused English journalists and pundits of showing a lack of respect to Croatia’s players and admitted his teammates had used criticism to motivate them to victory against England in their World Cup semi-final

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/11/croatia-motivated-lack-of-respect-england-luka-modric

They struggled to beat Tunisia, they pumped a very poor Panama, and a weakened team lost to a weakened Belgium.  They got lucky against Columbia and won against a Sweden team who were posted missing .... 

Were they really worth all the hype? 

I don't get this overachieved thing. They had 6 shots on target from open play the full tournament.(same as Saudi but 3 less games) They are a country of 60m and allegedly the best league in the world but are creaming their pants about making the Semi's. One trick ponies who were always going to fall short against a half decent footballing side.

The last time they beat a top side at a World Cup was Argentina in 2002.

And before anyone states it, I know Scotland are s**te.

England should be making Quarter Finals/Semi Finals on a regular basis given their infrastructure and sheer size of population, not once a generation.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

I don’t think they overachieved at all. They did what was expected of them against sides they should be beating. And based on their performance in previous tournaments that was a huge step forward.

In this tournament that was also better than Spain, Germany, Portugal and Argentina could come up with.

16 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't get this overachieved thing….England should be making Quarter Finals/Semi Finals on a regular basis given their infrastructure and sheer size of population, not once a generation.

Exactly, but they haven't - they have been serial underachievers, culminating in the defeat to Iceland.

Expectations this time were low and the consensus before the tournament was that they would do well to go beyond the quarters.

They did, so they over-achieved on this occasion, in that respect.

They should still be consistently performing at this level.  

17 hours ago, Shropshire_killie said:

I agree in part but fair does to the dignity shown and respect. Well done England

Unfortunately no dignity shown by the English commentators. Most Xenophobic thing I have heard for ages. Trippier kicked one of the Croation players. Hoddle, "he's just letting him know he is there". followed by both commentators laughing. Other way around they would be shouting for cards & stating that they were a disgrace. And don't get me started on the Neville's & Wright.

Sorry I thought England were very average & if they had drawn against Belgium they would have been out in the next round.

From memory, the idea that QF was this sides limit was based on it being the first time they'd meet anyone decent when it mattered. In that sense they were absolutely spot on, it was just that the luck of the draw made it one round later than expected. Got lucky v Tunisia, Columbia would have beaten them if they hadn't had a great opportunity halted when Mcguire went to put a phantom ball off the pitch and Sweden never showed up. They were probably the 6th best side in the Quarters, it was just that 4 of the 6 were in the other half of the draw

4 hours ago, Jonboy said:

From memory, the idea that QF was this sides limit was based on it being the first time they'd meet anyone decent when it mattered. In that sense they were absolutely spot on, it was just that the luck of the draw made it one round later than expected. Got lucky v Tunisia, Columbia would have beaten them if they hadn't had a great opportunity halted when Mcguire went to put a phantom ball off the pitch and Sweden never showed up. They were probably the 6th best side in the Quarters, it was just that 4 of the 6 were in the other half of the draw

Colombia were rotten and their behaviour was embarrassing.