The Wrestling Thread

Cill Mheàrnaig

Extreme Rules this weekend, with a pretty lacklustre build as far as I'm concerned. The card is as follows:

• Andrade 'Cien' Almas v Sin Cara
  • New Day v Sanity
  • Alexa Bliss (c) v Nia Jax (RAW Women's Championship)
  • AJ Styles (c) v Rusev (WWE Championship)
  • Matt Hardy & Bray Wyatt (c) v The B Team (RAW Tag Team Championships)
  • Carmella (c) v Asuka (Smackdown Women's Championship) James Ellsworth is in a shark cage
  • Bludgeon Brothers (c) v Team Hell No (Smackdown Tag Team Championships)
  • Dolph Ziggler (c) w/Drew McIntyre v Seth Rollins (Intercontinental Championship) 30-minute IronMan match
  • Roman Reigns v Bobby Lashley
  • Jeff Hardy (c) v Shinsuke Nakamura (U.S Championship)
  • Finn Balor v Baron Corbin
  • Kevin Owens v Braun Strowman in a Steel Cage Match

Predictions? It's not 'til you type that out you realise just how long a card that is... 2 kick-off matches at least, surely?

Until then, the 28th G1 Climax has just kicked off in Japan (https://njpwworld.com/) which is always a great watch and a good way to get into New Japan for those who haven't yet. Can't recommend the G1 Special in San Francisco high enough either.

1 hour ago, virtuocity said:

Mind that Papa Shango? WWF stickers were all the rage around 1995 for kids aged about 8 to 12. I completed the Legion of Doom page, but didn't have the financial backing of parents to go any further.

For kids.  Aged under 12. 

My father in-law had similar digs the other day. Then he turned on the TV and watched a movie about cowboys...

59 minutes ago, bute-killiefan said:

My father in-law had similar digs the other day. Then he turned on the TV and watched a movie about cowboys...

I say the above only in jest, particularly as I have no clue about it- I'm sure it's exciting for those into it.  Like a soap opera with metal chairs.  

Thought that Extreme Rules was pretty 'meh' to be honest, with the best match (Rollins v Ziggler) ruined by the crowd. Hard to enjoy such a tame show when the G1 is delivering above expectations every night. 

31 minutes ago, virtuocity said:

I say the above only in jest, particularly as I have no clue about it- I'm sure it's exciting for those into it.  Like a soap opera with metal chairs.  

Aye, it's a strange phenomenon that seems exclusive to wrestling that line of chat. You don't get folk talking about what happened with the dragon in Game of Thrones only to be interrupted by someone telling them "you do know that's not real, don't you?" As you say, a soap opera, but one that contains some of the most talented and dedicated athletes in the world. 

I don't watch wrestling now but I'm addicted to the 'Wrestle Me' podcast at the moment. Couple fellas (from the football ramble I think) watching all the wrestlemanias from the start, one is a huge wrestling fan and the other...not. 

Really funny and some great stories and anecdotes. Some crazy and eye opening stuff back then which led to a helluva lot of tragic deaths.

Well worth a listen

40 minutes ago, All the Wine said:

I don't watch wrestling now but I'm addicted to the 'Wrestle Me' podcast at the moment. Couple fellas (from the football ramble I think) watching all the wrestlemanias from the start, one is a huge wrestling fan and the other...not. 

Really funny and some great stories and anecdotes. Some crazy and eye opening stuff back then which led to a helluva lot of tragic deaths.

Well worth a listen

That sounds excellent, downloading it now, cheers!