Season ahead

Killie_cammyu84

Is it just me or are other teams seemingly attempting to strengthen their squads and improve potentially while we seem to believe that making one signing is going to make us better.

Am just concerned we've been linked with nobody and that we are going to be left with dross nobody else wants. I hope am wrong but there's seems no urgency to get us proper prepared for what a believe will be a tough season 

Its just you. The manager has stated several times that our business is likley to be done later in the window as he will be looking to the English market and trying to do deals after the clubs down there can no longer sign players 

Also im glad we have been linked with nobody as it means that our gaffer doesn't do all the hard work of identifying a player and using his contacts to get a deal done only for another club up here to offer more. 

Hopefully Kiltie and Wilson will be like new signings for us. Yes they were available after injury last season but they were never at the required level to be consistent. We will also be looking for more from Thomas, Frizzell, Higgins and Waters. 

We need to replace Mulumbu and Tshibola and I’ve got faith we will do that. As said above I prefer the way we conduct ourselves now. Yes fans love a bit of gossip but things would be so much worse now if people thought we’d missed out on a few targets rather than just having a quiet window.

1 hour ago, Killie_cammyu84 said:

Is it just me or are other teams seemingly attempting to strengthen their squads and improve potentially while we seem to believe that making one signing is going to make us better.

Am just concerned we've been linked with nobody and that we are going to be left with dross nobody else wants. I hope am wrong but there's seems no urgency to get us proper prepared for what a believe will be a tough season 

Dross nobody else wants - like signing Mulumbu last season you mean?

1 hour ago, Killie_cammyu84 said:

We so far have made 3 signings 

How does being  "linked with players" actually improve a team ?..... Unfounded / imaginary transfer gossip fills papers and social media every day ...very small percentage is actually true or becomes "real" ....

SC in his own roundabout way has said on numerous occasions he is planning on bringing in quality additions as and when circumstances allow him too...... Let's review our summer recruitment as and when the transfer windows close and we are into the long season ahead 

10 minutes ago, casual observer said:

I think the gems may be uncovered when the English clubs business is complete and fringe players them see where they actually sit in the pecking order at their clubs - Tishbola type signings unlikely to figure for their own first team. Patience is a virtue. 

English transfer closes 9th Aug you would think as Stevie Clarke has spent all of his work done in England thats when he will sign players

I can see both sides of this. We were told where we stood by SSC and to expect signings toward the end of the window. If that's where we are financially after awarding new contracts then so be it.

What worries me is that it will be hard to identify players with the quality to improve what we've got from that market. Hard but not absolutely impossible and preferable to 11 signings in a day!

The creative midfielder might be especially tricky because there aren't many in England as indeed it was the national teams biggest deficiency!

Does this fence have splinters?

Clubs at our level rarely give out long contracts due to the fear factor of paying players SPLF wages in the Championship. This changed for us this year. There was a confidence that we would not be involved in a relegation dogfight so we offered most of our existing squad extended deals, which nearly all have accepted. There is no doubt we are weakened by Mulumbu's departure but we were lucky to have him in the first place and is way out of our price range. I'm sure there will be a few English Championship playmakers that are surplus to requirements in the final year of their contract that will be looking for a regular game while preserving their high wages.

As for the other clubs, rebuilding a team each year is always hit or miss - we know that from experience. Whether they have strengthened their squads or brought in more of the same remains to be seen.

I don't normally pay much attention to players going to wherever etc, but Mulumbu to Hibs would be an interesting one.

I can see that it would make sense at a lot of levels for both Hibs and Mulumbu from the point of view of Hibs getting a good and cheap replacement for McGinn if he goes and from Mulumbu's point of view, he will get a decent salary and he will get to play in the top league in a country (which I think might be important to him - he won't suffer from the Scottish football is crap attitude that a lot of us do).

However, it will ask questions of Kilmarnock and the ambition they have.

I can see that we cannot compete with the English Premiership, the English Championship, Ligue 1 in France and the Old Firm - if he can get a club in any of that group we're out our depth financially and good luck to him. However, if he goes to Hibs, then the Board will be in a position to ask themselves how much they want him and how serious they are about putting in the work and money needed to get us to be a serious and consistent top league club. It can't surely be that much of a gap to fill in between what Hibs can offer and what we can. I'm not disputing it's a gap but for a player of his quality and that wee bit of something extra that he brings in terms of ability, experience and prestige I think it is something that they should seriously think about trying to match anything Hibs can offer.

If there is something in these rumours then this could be a real indicator of how much, in reality, they are prepared to back the squad and the manager.

3 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

I don't normally pay much attention to players going to wherever etc, but Mulumbu to Hibs would be an interesting one.

I can see that it would make sense at a lot of levels for both Hibs and Mulumbu from the point of view of Hibs getting a good and cheap replacement for McGinn if he goes and from Mulumbu's point of view, he will get a decent salary and he will get to play in the top league in a country (which I think might be important to him - he won't suffer from the Scottish football is crap attitude that a lot of us do).

I can see that we cannot compete with the English Premiership, the English Championship, Ligue 1 in France and the Old Firm - if he can get a club in any of that group we're out our depth financially and good luck to him. However, if he goes to Hibs, then the Board will be in a position to ask themselves how much they want him and how serious they are about putting in the work and money needed to get us to be a serious and consistent top league club. It can't surely be that much of a gap to fill in between what Hibs can offer and what we can. I'm not disputing it's a gap but for a player of his quality and that wee bit of something extra that he brings in terms of ability, experience and prestige I think it is something that they should seriously think about trying to match anything Hibs can offer.

If there is something in these rumours then this could be a real indicator of how much, in reality, they are prepared to back the squad and the manager.

Hibs get 10000+ more fans than us every week . Far more cash to splash 

4 minutes ago, c.r said:

Hibs get 10000+ more fans than us every week . Far more cash to splash 

And they will, and do, but over a much more expensive squad and that will eat up a lot of the 10,000 more fans they get every week.

I'm talking one-off and we might not even need to better or match what they offer - just enough to get close to make Mulumbu a question over where he wants to go. He was by all accounts happy here and obviously respects the manager. I'm not slating the Board here, would just be interesting to know what their thought process would be in this instance.

7 minutes ago, KillieBus said:

Largely agree with this. IF and only IF there is any truth in the hibs link, I actually believe it leaves some optimism that mulumbu could c9me back to killie. I honestly expected him to be in Bordeaux or good championship club ( or maybe Sunderland) by now. 5 to 10 x what we could typically afford. That may well still be the outcome but A genuine link to hibs would be interesting.

Hibs are a bigger, wealthier club than us. They play in front of more fans and have the particular attraction of being in Europe. They are more likely to win a domestic honour than killie this season. They could probably pay mulumbu two or 3 times what out highest earner on offer. BUT if killie would be prepared to match hibs offer ( or come up with a creative performance linked package) it may create a dilemma. A bigger club with more short term potential or a club that loves you, teammates that have bonded and a manager you trust. It would be a test of killie ambition if such an opportunity presents. There is always the question of setting new presidents for salaries and expectations of others. For me, like a handful of others before him in blue and white, he is a special case.

@KillieBus you would seriously expect us to break what wage structure we have to go and get Mulumbu back? He was a great player for us last season. Games against the OF outstanding. He missed a fair bit of football though and there were a few games he was posted missing though not many. For me there isn’t enough justification to go blowing cash trying to match Hibs. Had it been for say Eremenko the first time round or perhaps Woodman where there is the potential for the club to profit by selling on it could be tempting for that player in his 30s not for me. The deal would need to fit the club and it doesn’t look like that will happen at the moment

16 minutes ago, piffer said:

@KillieBus you would seriously expect us to break what wage structure we have to go and get Mulumbu back? He was a great player for us last season. Games against the OF outstanding. He missed a fair bit of football though and there were a few games he was posted missing though not many. For me there isn’t enough justification to go blowing cash trying to match Hibs. Had it been for say Eremenko the first time round or perhaps Woodman where there is the potential for the club to profit by selling on it could be tempting for that player in his 30s not for me. The deal would need to fit the club and it doesn’t look like that will happen at the moment

I don't think that breaking our wage structure will be that difficult, to be fair - we don't pay a lot of money.

I get your point on the number of games he played (I think it was only twelve or something) but I think the fact he was a Kilmarnock player was important to the club. I think his name and reputation inspired his team-mates and intimidated opponents. You mention his games against the Old Firm - he walked onto those grounds like he was doing them a favour and that must have rubbed of on those around him.

Not suggesting we go all out match Hibs - just ask the question.

Maybe if the season ticket sales have reached the 4k mark as has been mentioned elsewhere then the board might consider such an audacious move? I can see how they might be reluctant to splash out though after investing heavily in the stadium renovations during the close season. I'm not sure how doing up the facilities that most fans will never see is going to recoup anything, but spending it on players is a bit of a gamble as well. We can only spend what we've got and that's not a lot, certainly not as much as Hibs.

I wouldn’t be surprised if those clubs were put off by his real wage demands. What he was on at Killie was not reflective of the wages he was looking for elsewhere. 

Bordeaux were interested but was that just as a stop gap signing. Their priorities may have changed. They could also be set for a big fee this summer and may want to use that to strengthen. 

1 hour ago, KillieBus said:

Totally agree with this post also. BB   Came out and stated that he hoped we could be challenging in the top half of the table. If that’s his ambition then Mulumbu is the man to build your team around. As the old saying goes speculate to accumulate. 

Every penny put into the club via TIK (tax free) is going to the player budget in one way or another...if its getting used for something else then money allocated for that something else can then go to the player budget instead. If we want to club board to be ambitious then we have to back them financially by purchasing season tickets, taking out sponsorships and buying merchandise etc. and most importantly (after season tickets in my opinion) by subscribing to TIK which is in effect money for nothing for the club. I wrote a big rant about this and then deleted it all as its nothing you don't know already and its pretty much pointing out the obvious.