Bizzare Killie Episodes

4 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

Didn't Andy McLaren get caught up in traffic on the M77 and miss the start of a game? I seem to remember he came on and scored, but I might be conflating that with another game.

Fetch, @skygod, there's a good boy.

No idea! 

I do remember a match in 1970 against Dundee Utd at RP when Eddie Morrison and Robin Arthur were involved in a car crash on their way from Greenock. 

We picked up a couple of young local amateurs called Leckie and Wylie to make up the 12, as it was then. 

We won 2-1 too! 

Everybody knows about the famous match at Tynecastle in April 1965 when we won the league title. 

But did you know we went back there on 19 June 1965 and got whipped 8-2?!

At the time, the SFA was leading a move to change the offside law and staged the match as an experiment. 

There was no offside at all in the first half, and no offside outside an 18-yard line across the pitch in the second. 

As we now know, it went absolutely nowhere! 

Attendance was 9,000 and Killie scorers were Sneddon and McIlroy (at least that didn’t change!).

Edited by skygod

How about the “ghostly” League Cup semi-final at Hampden in 1973? 

We were in the Second Division at the time and were on a great unbeaten run under Willie Fernie.

Our opponents were Dundee but this was the era of the miners’ strike and the country was on a three-day week, with domestic, commercial and industrial electricity supply rationed. Floodlights were banned so dispensation was given to play matches on Sunday afternoons. 

The match went ahead in a December midweek under half (at best) floodlighting, powered by generator. 

The National mood was one of conflict, anger and demoralisation and there was little appetite for football. I think the match might have previously been postponed a couple of times as well, which didn't help. 

A crowd of about 4,500 peered through the gloom to watch an unmemorable match. We couldn’t wait to get back to our cold, dark homes! 

Dundee won 1-0 - I think Tommy Gemmell scored - and went on to beat Celtic in the final. 

Edited by skygod

4 minutes ago, piffer said:

Not sure if this one from 2009 has been mentioned.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/archives/news/26468/killies-roadside-warm-up/

Best thing about that was that me, @under5, @Gaz of the 20/20, @Mojike and Bod, @DrewWylie, @Oldkillie,@gazza etc were in the Western from about 12 that day and had no issues with traffic.

We were absolutely devastated when the game was called off and we had to have an afternoon in the Western.......

24 minutes ago, skygod said:

How about the “ghostly” League Cup semi-final in 1973? 

We were in Second Division at the time and were on a great unbeaten run under Willie Fernie.

Our opponents were Dundee but this was the era of the miners’ strike and the country was on a three-day week, with domestic and industrial electrical power supply rationed. Floodlights were banned so dispensation was given to play matches on Sunday afternoons. 

The match went ahead in a November midweek under half (at best) floodlighting, powered by generator. 

The National mood was one of conflict, anger and demoralisation and there was little appetite for football. I think the match might have previously been postponed a couple of times as well, which didn't help. 

A crowd of about 4,500 peered through the gloom to watch an unmemorable match. We couldn’t wait to get back to our cold, dark homes! 

Dundee won 1-0 - I think Tommy Gemmell scored - and went on to beat Celtic in the final. 

Not often we get to semi-finals but I didnt know about this one at all. Where was the game played?
Shame that an occassion like a semi-final was so affected by everything that was going on.

I mind a streaker running on to the pitch vs St Johnstone away in the 90s. 

Also a couple of seasons ago away to Hamilton, boys behind us are giving it a chant about how Dougie Imrie's dugs got tits. f**k knows why. Killie go a goal down. The boys keep singing. Older guy in front of me finally loses it, turns round and goes "I DONT GIVE A f**k ABOUT DOUGIE IMRIE AND HIS DUG, IM HERE TO WATCH KILLIE! AND WE'RE GETTING BEAT IN CASE YOUVE NO NOTICED!"

That only served to encourage them, so the song continued for the rest of the game, and the guy who lost the plot becomes the butt of the joke. Folk he was with were all wetting themselves 

All the Killie fans walking across the pitch at halftime away to Berwick in the 89/90 season. The roof had blown off the away stand a few days earlier, so we were getting soaked. We joined the home fans under cover for the 2nd half. Wullie Watters played a blinder :hurrah:

My personal most bizarre moments were getting shown round the ground as a kid by Jim McSherry. We got into the dressing room and there were a few guys in getting changed. I got introduced to Ally Mitchell who was standing in the buff! He shook my hand and we had a short, awkward conversation. Well, awkward for me - he didn’t seem at all bothered!

The other one was during the pitch invasion after the Falkirk game to stay up. I was heading back to the East Stand and bumped into my mum! Never a person I thought I’d see taking part in a pitch invasion!

3 hours ago, robkil said:

About 5 minutes into half time he brought the team back out onto the pitch and basically yelled at them for a few minutes before making them do what the half time subs normally do. One of the most embarrasing things I've ever seen as a Killie fan.

I was at that game, but must have been getting a pie or something - I've never heard that before.  What a f**king fool.

I always thought I'd eventually graduate to a sense of nostalgia about the JJ/BB years, but it's never happened.  Pair of utter w****rs, and I wouldn't even have had them back during the last few years when we've been s**t.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

How about the “ghostly” League Cup semi-final at Hampden in 1973? 

We were in the Second Division at the time and were on a great unbeaten run under Willie Fernie.

Our opponents were Dundee but this was the era of the miners’ strike and the country was on a three-day week, with domestic, commercial and industrial electricity supply rationed. Floodlights were banned so dispensation was given to play matches on Sunday afternoons. 

The match went ahead in a November midweek under half (at best) floodlighting, powered by generator. 

Didn't Eddie Morrison hit the post with a header in that game, or get one cleared off the line?

I remember coming away from the game feeling we were robbed.

29 minutes ago, Mister Y said:

Didn't Eddie Morrison hit the post with a header in that game, or get one cleared off the line?

I remember coming away from the game feeling we were robbed.

Goal disallowed for offside, according to Dave Ross' official club history.

From the official Dundee website:

"To reach the final Dundee defeated Kilmarnock 1-0 in the semi at Hampden thanks to a goal from captain Tommy Gemmell and the match took place on Monday 3rd December after it was originally postponed on November 28th due to snow. With the floodlights powered by a generator producing only a third of its normal power and a sparse crowd of just 4682 in attendance, there was an eerie atmosphere in the National Stadium which The Courier described as “ghost-like.”

This was because the miners’ strike had developed into a national energy crisis that would soon bring down Ted Heath’s Conservative Government and with blizzard conditions all over Scotland in the lead up to the Final twelve days later, the game was in doubt right up to kick-off.

For the Dundee fans there was uncertainty over whether any trains were running and the 50 mph limit on the roads was expected to reduce the Dundee crowd and it took the players’ coach three hours to reach Glasgow through snowbound roads which as a result saw the pre-match meal a hurried affair."

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

I was at that game, but must have been getting a pie or something - I've never heard that before.  What a f**king fool.

I always thought I'd eventually graduate to a sense of nostalgia about the JJ/BB years, but it's never happened.  Pair of utter w****rs, and I wouldn't even have had them back during the last few years when we've been s**t.

That's a harsh summary of their time at RP. More than half of their time in charge was enjoyable, good football and some really good signings like Fulton (until his legs went), Greer, Wright, Bryson to name just a few. It was certainly better than everything that was to follow until last October.

21 minutes ago, historyman said:

That's a harsh summary of their time at RP. More than half of their time in charge was enjoyable, good football and some really good signings like Fulton (until his legs went), Greer, Wright, Bryson to name just a few. It was certainly better than everything that was to follow until last October.

Hmmm, I'd say winning a cup, beating Rangers, Celtic and Ayr in Glasgow and Huns at RP within same 12 month period and basically owning Hearts n Gorgie was not bad......

I agree that their first few years were very enjoyable.

Edited by Squirrelhumper