2018/19 Season Expectations

Arshire Blue

7 minutes ago, BR1869 said:

To make us excited for each game.  Just like last season...

This for me.

The season coming is going to have to be very, very, good to match up to last season and rather than targets I'd be happy with a team that gives everything, plays a bit of decent football, gets decent number of wins, keeps us clear of the relegation battle and allows us to travel to games with optimism and pride in the club.

More of the same as we had from October to May would be just fine.
I'm not sure we will get as many points as we did last year, perhaps a finish between 6th and 8th with a good home record and decent performances in the cup. Would be good to see Boyd hit at least 15 goals again.

For the first time in many years I'm looking forward to the season starting as I expect it to be an enjoyable one.

20 hours ago, pmonty3 said:

Tricky one this. My expectations are different from what I'd like to see and think is achievable.

My expectation is we will fare similarly to last season,albeit with a little less excitement. I think we'll finish 6th. We are a very solid team and have a great manager. 

What I'd like do see is us push the boat out (sensibly) to capitalise on the great strides last year. We've waited a long time to be on the up again. We had a bit of an opportunity in 2012 after the cup win and Rangers demotion but squandered it. Now we have the fans back on board, some great young players and the best manager we'll ever have. It's defo a stick or twist time. I say we twist. 

We've finally got something a bit special. I don't want to settle for stability. Because after last year that won't feel like progress, it will feel like moving backward. There's no such thing as staying still in football. 

So the dreamer in me says this. Keep Jones. Make Mulumbu an exceptional offer and go after the teams who were lucky to finish above us last year. Strike whilst the Iron is hot. Let's see what we can really do.  

Great post

Kris Boyd: Kilmarnock can repeat top-six finish, says Rugby Park captain.....

Kilmarnock are fighting for one spot if they are to replicate their top-six place from last season, according to captain Kris Boyd.

The Ayrshire side set a record points tally of 59 points to finish fifth.

And Boyd, 34, expects the top half of the division to have a similar look this term.

"Let's be realistic; when you look at five of the top six from last time they should be guaranteed to be in there every year," he told BBC Scotland.

"So there's that space left and we know that if we go and perform to the level that we did last year that gives us an opportunity to get there.

"Did we overachieve? Probably. There's nothing to say that we can't do the same again this year."

Despite the veteran striker's cautious confidence, Boyd stressed the need to avoid complacency, with top-flight survival still very much at the forefront of the club's concerns.

"The first thing in our minds is to get away from relegation," he said. "Look at Partick Thistle, they finished in the top six [the season before last] and now they're starting the Championship. For us, last season's finished. We need to start this season bright."

Former Scotland international Boyd was the Premiership's top scorer with 18 goals last season and already has four goals in three League Cup appearances this month.

"I'll always put pressure on my shoulders," he said. "For me, it's something I've had since I was a wee boy.

"I've always scored goals. It's something that I go into every season looking to do."

Kilmarnock's Premiership opener is at home to St Johnstone on Saturday and Boyd is eager for early gains, while also looking forward to a date with Rangers in the last 16 of the League Cup.

"Over the last few years we've not started very well, we've always been chasing, so if we can get off to a good start then that sets us off on good stead," added Boyd.

"Yes, we've got a difficult draw in the next round of the cup but if you're going to have any chance of getting to Hampden you need to beat the big boys and we know if we perform in a one-off game, we've got a chance of doing that."

On 7/27/2018 at 10:35 AM, Scouser2 said:

one slight disadvantage of the excellent season we had under SC -- is perhaps that expectations by some may be higher than would normally be ---- part of the success last season was we got great results from games no one expected us to and with a certain style of play. 

Will be interesting to see how the team can build on last season  

I "expect" at least A mid table spot ----but hope for that elusive cup winning run and a fun season 

I can see where you’re coming from. In previous seasons, when we’ve been predicted to be in the bottom 2 I’ve felt kinda bullish/nothing and had a “we’ll show them” attitude going in to the new season (usually quashed by week 1)

But this time it’s different and a lot of folk think we’re automatic top 6 and challengers for trophies. It’s good, but I’ve weirdly become more modest, thinking steady on guys.

Just shows you what years of pish can do to a mindset. 

On 7/27/2018 at 12:19 PM, pmonty3 said:

Tricky one this. My expectations are different from what I'd like to see and think is achievable.

My expectation is we will fare similarly to last season,albeit with a little less excitement. I think we'll finish 6th. We are a very solid team and have a great manager. 

What I'd like do see is us push the boat out (sensibly) to capitalise on the great strides last year. We've waited a long time to be on the up again. We had a bit of an opportunity in 2012 after the cup win and Rangers demotion but squandered it. Now we have the fans back on board, some great young players and the best manager we'll ever have. It's defo a stick or twist time. I say we twist. 

We've finally got something a bit special. I don't want to settle for stability. Because after last year that won't feel like progress, it will feel like moving backward. There's no such thing as staying still in football. 

So the dreamer in me says this. Keep Jones. Make Mulumbu an exceptional offer and go after the teams who were lucky to finish above us last year. Strike whilst the Iron is hot. Let's see what we can really do.  

On 7/27/2018 at 10:39 AM, skygod said:

Normally, I would support this 100%.

Bot don't forget that we have the Project Brave costs and, probably, the cost of a new pitch.

Some will say, "Tap up the McLeishes for a loan" but we have been down that road before with the Moffats with punitive consequences.

What about new investors, and the question of MJ's shares? Those are unknowns for now and something to keep an eye on. Everything is ticking along at the moment with BB & co but they have limited wealth. Is there anyone out there who, on their own or as part of a consortium, would want to shift the club to a new level? How would BB react to that? Again, the warnings from the Moffat/ Chadwick/ Fleeting era are there.

The size of the support restricts the fan ownership possibilities and the experience of TiK has shown very limited appetite for it.

Pushing the boat out on the playing budget doesn't look like it's going to happen for now, judging by the signings so far. Keeping SC happy and tying up last season's squad has been the priority and I'll be surprised if we see any marquee signings.

I'm somewhere in between these two.

I would love for us to kick on and keeping the core of the squad from last season is key to that. Add a couple of influential players and we could have a really exciting season.

However, I'd hate to live with the risk that could involve. I want us to sensibly maintain a certain level of performance, similar to Motherwell, Saints etc. of recent years. I'd take the occasional flirt with a cup run and regular mid-table finishes to the threat of relegation looming for the last half of the season every time. Unearth the gems through the youth system, sell on for fees. Reinvigorate stalling careers etc.

39 minutes ago, casual observer said:

I expect we’ll be 6-8th, obviously hoping for a bit better - and a day out to Hampden in May. 

I would be pissed off if we finished as low as 8th. I would hope, so long as Clark didn't up and leave at some point, we should be good enough even without adding significantly to the squad to achieve 7th.