The Crowd Thread

Fankle

Not sure the relevance of a “TV game”

I would however give out a voucher at previous home games to PATG people, on presentation of the voucher it offers a £12 discount which for this season would make an OF game £15 for Killie fans that attend other games. Family ST Holders would be £10 for adults and £1 for kids.

You have to reward the continuous customer for their loyal support, for the odd OF fan turning up they would still be at £27

4 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Of course we'd like bigger crowds but in my lifetime watching Killie, we've very rarely had bigger home supports than the OF have had as an away support at RP. Even when we had the Moffat, it was often filled with OF fans in the home end. Same with last game at old RP etc. It's a pipedream to think we'll get 8,000+ home fans for them. The club gave up wanting more home fans when we started giving them both ends and the fans seemed to chuck the towel in then too.

How do we explain us having a far better record against Rangers at Ibrox though? We've beaten them 3 times in 25 years at RP (was once in 18 years at one point!) but we've double that at Ibrox....one of those wins there were 200 Killie fans there if you were lucky when Naisy scored.

We've won at Ibrox in game when the home support has been the noisiest I've ever heard at a domestic game (Admin Saturday) and stopped 10IAR when we were outnumbered 50/1.

Some of the most pathetic performances I've ever seen from a Killie team against the OF at RP have been during the periods when we had the biggest home turnouts against them (late 90s/early 00s) 4-0, 5-0 at home etc.

We struggled to get 10k last twice against Celtic in a Cup Final for gods sake but took 25k against Falkirk and 18k against Hibs.

Changing folks habits in these games is going to take a lot of work and more than simply just moaning about it. We charge more for them even though they are poorly attended, we sell season tickets that don't include them, even though they are poorly attended. They are live on TV and lunchtime kick offs yet we increase hospitality prices, even though it's pathetically attended.

We had 4,500+ home fans on Saturday, the club should be looking at reasons as to why we had 2,000 more home fans for a game against Motherwell than we had against the Champions. I've seen zero evidence from them that suggests they are looking to reverse this trend.

We'll easily sell out Ibrox this month even though it's midweek. Not many clubs will do that (we do repeatedly) but that's the hardcore.

IMO the quickest way to reverse the trend at these games is to let Moffat STH's into the next on for £10 adults and kids for free and see if there's a decent uplift.

If there is then you'll see whether it's the fixture or the pricing that's keeping folk away.

I'm only stating what a seasoned professional is saying. It's probably a different mentality away from home, where no one expects a result and the task can be to frustrate the home fans. I certainly remember sitting in a packed Moffat Stamd against both the old scum. However, I think even if five thousand turned up (surely possible) most people would be happy. The atmosphere was great when we beat Celtic. Add another thousand in each stand and it would be superb.

34 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I certainly remember sitting in a packed Moffat Stamd against both the old scum.

Aye, as can I but can also remember being in it when pockets of OF would appear after they scored each game.

However, I think even if five thousand turned up (surely possible) most people would be happy. The atmosphere was great when we beat Celtic. Add another thousand in each stand and it would be superb.

I don't think you'll get many folk disagreeing with that but the club has to at least to try and change the habits. Sitting there hoping and changing nothing in terms of tickets/discounts for Moffat Season ticket holders certainly won't see us hit that figure any time soon.

Back in the 90s a lot of these games were 3pm on Saturday's not on TV. Certainly were rarely on TV unless midweek in the 90s against the OF. The first Sky game against Rangers I can remember was midweek 95 when the Chadwick opened and even then lunctime games on TV were very unusual.

Times change, we need to adapt with it.

Edited by Squirrelhumper

However, I think even if five thousand turned up (surely possible) most people would be happy. The atmosphere was great when we beat Celtic. Add another thousand in each stand and it would be superb. 

We were close to that against Motherwell. It's these games specifically. Perhaps they should canvas opinions as to why people would go to the Motherwell game and not the Celtic game. 

I think if we get up to and over 5000 in the home end that is a really good crowd in modern times. Reality is that people have drifted away over the years. Some disenfranchised by the way the club was run on - and especially off - the park. Others just prefer the slew of TV games, cheap everything whenever you want it, etc, etc. But this is a trend across all the smaller teams, even when doing well - St Mirren, Motherwell, whoever.

I thought that with results being so good we would have reached 5000, which Mixu and KS both failed to hit. However, the Motherwell game was different. We won but it was also really entertaining. There haven’t been a lot of games like that at under Steve Clarke in my opinion.

The atmosphere in the East was testy which really added to a good day out. What I’ve felt in recent years is people have gone because they have to, not because they actually enjoy it. For me it was obligation. Now I look forward to it.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Maybe the Well attendance would have been higher but for the Ryder Cup coverage and the game being shown in full at 6 PM.

Then we are fukked, if Killie “Fans” would rather watch golf that is on later in the evening or the actual Killie game in some foreign language after knowing the score we may as well accept that we are never going to get a regular 5,000 fans 

13 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

Then we are fukked, if Killie “Fans” would rather watch golf that is on later in the evening or the actual Killie game in some foreign language after knowing the score we may as well accept that we are never going to get a regular 5,000 fans 

Reasonable point re golf and delayed coverage of the game, but your comment classing the oldest indigenous Scottish language still spoken here as "some  foreign language" while writing in a foreign countries language is well pretty ignorant...considering the name Kilmarnock is Gaelic....I'm sure many a Gael reading your comment would tell you to Poch ma hon... 

2 hours ago, skygod said:

Maybe the Well attendance would have been higher but for the Ryder Cup coverage and the game being shown in full at 6 PM.

You may be right. For some fans, Saturday is only Saturday ( or every second Saturday) when at rugby park. That’s the hard core. I’m one of the hard core ( for the last 40 years nearly) but even for me, there are other considerations which on occasion (rare mind) could impact on my going to the game. The Ryder cup was a consideration and the fact that the game was alba later could have swayed my think8ng. I went to the Motherwell game but others could have taken another call and if saving 22 quid was also considered, if not season ticket holder,  then the choice even harder. It’s naive to think that faced with alternative ways to access the game and balance other interests and priorities, some folks won’t take the stay away option. It will be interesting to see if we increase the killie end support versus Hamilton on 27th (on the back of minimum 4 points over next 2 games).

1 hour ago, Arderkilliesier said:

Reasonable point re golf and delayed coverage of the game, but your comment classing the oldest indigenous Scottish language still spoken here as "some  foreign language" while writing in a foreign countries language is well pretty ignorant...considering the name Kilmarnock is Gaelic....I'm sure many a Gael reading your comment would tell you to Poch ma hon... 

And I wouldn’t think anything of it, the amount of money wasted on a language that fewer than 2% of Scottish people speak is a disgrace.

it is not my language, therefore it is foreign to me, I think people are getting carried away a bit with all the marches and poster written in Gaelic, sadly most haven’t a clue what any of it says.

21 hours ago, Arderkilliesier said:

I don't think you really need to get on your high horse about it.  Gaelic hasn't been spoken in Ayrshire in any form since the middle ages, there are more people who speak Polish in this country than speak Gaelic.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:40 PM, NorfolkG said:

I thought that with results being so good we would have reached 5000, which Mixu and KS both failed to hit. However, the Motherwell game was different. We won but it was also really entertaining. There haven’t been a lot of games like that at under Steve Clarke in my opinion.

I'm very surprised to read that because I think a lot of games under SSC have been entertaining and not just because they ended up with us winning. I think back to first home game v Hibs where we lost 3-0 but played good football. We are certainly not a swashbuckling team who fly forward at every opportunity but very, very few teams are these days and you need to have really top class players to play like that. We play good organised, disciplined football, retaining the ball well and creating a decent number of chances in each game. 

To be honest I'm trying to think of games at RP that I didn't find entertaining when under the previous three managers it is more trying to remember those that were. Probably the poorest home game under SSC was v St Mirren in the LC in the first game of the season. Other than that they've been very enjoyable. 

1 hour ago, Estragon said:

I don't think you really need to get on your high horse about it.  Gaelic hasn't been spoken in Ayrshire in any form since the middle ages, there are more people who speak Polish in this country than speak Gaelic.

I dont wanna s**t in your playpiece but there's a Gaelic speaking nursery / school in Kilmarnock

Edited by samo

33 minutes ago, historyman said:

I'm very surprised to read that because I think a lot of games under SSC have been entertaining and not just because they ended up with us winning. I think back to first home game v Hibs where we lost 3-0 but played good football. We are certainly not a swashbuckling team who fly forward at every opportunity but very, very few teams are these days and you need to have really top class players to play like that. We play good organised, disciplined football, retaining the ball well and creating a decent number of chances in each game. 

To be honest I'm trying to think of games at RP that I didn't find entertaining when under the previous three managers it is more trying to remember those that were. Probably the poorest home game under SSC was v St Mirren in the LC in the first game of the season. Other than that they've been very enjoyable. 

To be fair they did lose the Hibs game. Agreed it was a good performance.

My point is more that they were ruthlessly effective last season. Which was brilliant. But the technical level was modest. Lots of fired balls into channel. The games I’ve seen at RP this season have been a lot more technical, esp St J and Well.

This season it’s been wins coupled with nice fitba. 

53 minutes ago, NorfolkG said:

To be fair they did lose the Hibs game. Agreed it was a good performance.

My point is more that they were ruthlessly effective last season. Which was brilliant. But the technical level was modest. Lots of fired balls into channel. The games I’ve seen at RP this season have been a lot more technical, esp St J and Well.

This season it’s been wins coupled with nice fitba. 

Technical level modest last season ? Technically, we couldn't have been better organised with the personnel we had. Since Stewart has arrived and Burke has discovered the secret of eternal youth we are more entertaining, but I wouldn't say we are technically better.

I would say we have more technically gifted players this season and Boyd not starting takes away the punt it up the park option not that I’m saying there is anything wrong with that some times, but the passing our way through teams is very enjoyable to watch and long may it continue.

10 hours ago, Garvis said:

I would say we have more technically gifted players this season and Boyd not starting takes away the punt it up the park option not that I’m saying there is anything wrong with that some times, but the passing our way through teams is very enjoyable to watch and long may it continue.

That’s what I was getting at. Winning effectively last season was brilliant but it was a lot of balls into channels.

This season, with Stewart in, Burke actually playing and Boyd not there as a target (not his fault it was fired at him as a default), we are playing a lot more football in my opinion.

When trying to persuade stay always last season I was talking about the wins. I got a couple to come to the Hamilton home win. Routine, effective but hardly exciting. Now I’m able to say the football is genuinely entertaining.

I’m not criticising Steve Clarke. He is the best thing to happen to Killie in a long, long time and is as good a manger as the SPL has had in modern times. But he clearly saw room for improvement.

14 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

Technical level modest last season ? Technically, we couldn't have been better organised with the personnel we had. Since Stewart has arrived and Burke has discovered the secret of eternal youth we are more entertaining, but I wouldn't say we are technically better.

The mere fact that we have a manager of the quality of SC totally makes your assessment wrong I'm sure the vast majority of Killie fans would agree that we are now technically better and a lot of that is due to the players buying into and carrying out what our management team are trying to tell them and long may it continue as the football we are seeing from us now is making it great to be a killie!!!

21 hours ago, Richaway said:

Time to get an offer in place for the Hamilton game and advertise on west fm, Clyde and press.

make it innovative and you will get loads of free coverage in the papers.

this will get some of the missing back to see what they are missing.

I think the idea is decent but not against that mob who will bite, scratch, boot everything that moves and could turn the game into an absolute bore, St Mirren on the other hand I would say defo