Erwin - Iran

Shortie

Kilmarnock striker Lee Erwin could be set for shock switch to Iran

Former Hibs and Celtic striker Anthony Stokes and ex-Rangers man Harry Forrester have moved to the country recently.

The Kilmarnock striker has become subject of interest from a club in Asia, believed to be Tractor Sazi who are led by former Wales manager John Toshack.

Former Hibs and Celtic striker Anthony Stokes and ex-Rangers man Harry Forrester have signed for the Persian Gulf Pro League side already this summer and Erwin is thought to be a target.

The forward, who started Saturday’s league opener against St Johnstone, only joined Killie last summer and has come on leaps and bounds under Steve Clarke’s management.

But Tractor Sazi are believed to be preparing a bid in an attempt to lure Erwin abroad, with the Iranian’s likely to increase the former Motherwell man’s pay packet significantly

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-striker-lee-erwin-could-13044850.amp?__twitter_impression=true

This would be a terrible move for him at this stage of his career, when he could continue to develop under Clarke. 

If there's decent money in it for Killie I could see it being in our interest, as it could facilitate us strengthening in other areas, particularly with the start Ndjoli has made. 

Or maybe we'd sign Shankland to replace him. 

9 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

I can't see a boy with very young twins suddenly moving to Iran... 

I suppose it's all relative.

If you have a young family and your wages go from say less than £2k a week to say £10k a week (hypothetically) then it's a game changer.

Plenty of European's playing in Iran, jus the same way there's plenty of oil workers over there too with families etc. My mates  brother lives in Oman and whilst it's a strict Muslim country, they stay in an ex pat bit that's fairly westernise.

Money talks.

16 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Plenty of European's playing in Iran, jus the same way there's plenty of oil workers over there too with families etc. My mates  brother lives in Oman and whilst it's a strict Muslim country, they stay in an ex pat bit that's fairly westernise.

Money talks.

Oman is nothing like living in Iran

17 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I suppose it's all relative.

If you have a young family and your wages go from say less than £2k a week to say £10k a week (hypothetically) then it's a game changer.

Money talks.

Yeah I can see that. It was more the age of the kids that I had in mind. A family member of Erwins works in my office - I think the twins aren't even 1 yet. I wouldn't fancy a move with kids that age. But you are right about the long term effects of the money. 

1 hour ago, fraz65 said:

Kilmarnock striker Lee Erwin could be set for shock switch to Iran

Former Hibs and Celtic striker Anthony Stokes and ex-Rangers man Harry Forrester have moved to the country recently.

The Kilmarnock striker has become subject of interest from a club in Asia, believed to be Tractor Sazi who are led by former Wales manager John Toshack.

Former Hibs and Celtic striker Anthony Stokes and ex-Rangers man Harry Forrester have signed for the Persian Gulf Pro League side already this summer and Erwin is thought to be a target.

The forward, who started Saturday’s league opener against St Johnstone, only joined Killie last summer and has come on leaps and bounds under Steve Clarke’s management.

But Tractor Sazi are believed to be preparing a bid in an attempt to lure Erwin abroad, with the Iranian’s likely to increase the former Motherwell man’s pay packet significantly

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kilmarnock-striker-lee-erwin-could-13044850.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I did wonder, whatever happened to Saz. A tractor magnate in Iran... :ph34r:

I would hope he stays, gives us a different dimension up top and he's been getting better since Clarke came in. We still have a lot of firepower without him with Brophy, Kiltie and Ndjoli, but would maybe mean Cameron would have to be put through to first team squad more often.

But as with Coulibaly if they're offering mental money then we'll take it.  

5 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

My point is, that even in Iran there are places that are to an extent westernised.

Eh? It's not a case of how westernised Iran may be at the moment. The sanctions enforced by the USA, and reiterated yesterday by Trump, have all but killed the prospect of international trade to the country, and have consequently put the whole prospect of a continuing moderate presence in Iranian government at risk.

There's no telling how quickly or to what extent things might destabilise there in the coming weeks and months. This would be an utterly insane time in history to be even contemplating visiting Iran, never mind moving there.

To compare that to living in Oman, which is one of the more stable countries in the middle east is a bit misguided.