Irn Bru Challenge Cup v St Mirren - Tues 14th Aug.

TroonKFC

St Mirren number 10 Cameron McPherson’s winning goal was a cracker and he had a great game. The same player dominated midfield in the League Cup tie, playing in a deeper role. St Mirren have a right prospect there.

The young Kilmarnock players showed their rustiness with a lack of game time during pre season. Tactically they resorted to the long ball up to Cameron and we never won a ball all game or picked up any second ball either,

Kilmarnock, when they did play the ball on the deck caused problems for Saints panicky defence and had their chances, so it isn’t all bad, but the issue preventing progress is staring the management team in the face.

Edited by TroonKFC
Grammar

31 minutes ago, TroonKFC said:

Kilmarnock, when they did play the ball on the deck caused problems for Saints panicky defence and had their chances, so it isn’t all bad, but the issue preventing progress is staring the management team in the face.

Yep. And, he should have walked with McCulloch & Leven/should never have been re-employed by the club he shafted in the first place. Delete where applicable 

42 minutes ago, TroonKFC said:

St Mirren number 10 Cameron McPherson’s winning goal was a cracker and he had a great game. The same player dominated midfield in the League Cup tie, playing in a deeper role. St Mirren have a right prospect there.

The young Kilmarnock players showed their rustiness with a lack of game time during pre season. Tactically they resorted to the long ball up to Cameron and we never one a ball all game or picked up any second ball either,

Gus' boy, I think!

Other clubs are beginning to develop some good talents. We were kind of forced to play our full youth teams a couple of years before their time. Syme, Ashcroft, Johnston etc. The majority of them done okay but coincided with a poor bad period for the club.

Since Clarke has come in he has favoured more experienced Pros. Youth development isn’t as important as it was under Locke and Clark etc. 

Success on the park arguably has come by playing older more consistent pros. 

I am not saying we don’t have good prospects like Taylor ,Wilson etc but we don’t need them to be our main men anymore. 

From the current Youth/Reserve set up how many do you reckon have a chance of making it in first team??(people who watch them frequently)

Cameron, Graham, Paterson and Higgins are the names I have heard who seem most likely but I don’t see them enough to comment fully. 

Edited by Souleycouley93

This season’s fixture list. Only 8 fixtures in a 5 month period from October to February. Total of 21 games for whole season, which includes cup games.

I expect the reserve games will be used to get game time for squad players and rehab for injured players, so expect development for youth players to be extremely limited.

C670ACCA-064F-43FD-A1C5-5D8915D346E7.jpeg

11 minutes ago, TroonKFC said:

This season’s fixture list. Only 8 fixtures in a 5 month period from October to February. Total of 21 games for whole season, which includes cup games.

I expect the reserve games will be used to get game time for squad players and rehab for injured players, so expect development for youth players to be extremely limited.

C670ACCA-064F-43FD-A1C5-5D8915D346E7.jpeg

Do you know if they are any plans to farm out the older ones to the Juniors to give regular game time and toughen them up or has that fell by the wayside long ago?

If we have a young group from the development side going to an under 18s league may help them. The problem will be for boys 18-21 who maybe aren’t quite first team ready but need more football than the reserve league offers. 

How much success have we had in farming players out to the juniors in the past?

4 minutes ago, piffer said:

If we have a young group from the development side going to an under 18s league may help them. The problem will be for boys 18-21 who maybe aren’t quite first team ready but need more football than the reserve league offers. 

Trying to remember the last time we did it. It might have been under Jim Fleeting. We sent about 5 out to saltcoats vics, and the vics won promotion, the ardrossan & saltcoats herald cup, some sort of other cup, and reached the final of the league cup?

Gary Matthews? Bench keeper in the premier 93/94. Campbell Clark, played against Forfar in the 1st division, that was about it. Which is a shame, as he was quite good at Saltcoats. Belter of a shot on him. Mark Skilling was probably the most successful one. The others escape me at the minute

The boy Morrison went to Kilwinning in the last couple of seasons. That didn’t work out well for us. 

Ive no problem with the juniors for what it is but feel there is too many bad habits and could’ve been a player stories to be beneficial for us to send out our brightest prospects.

On 13 August 2018 at 1:05 PM, TroonKFC said:

I don’t think trialists can play as it’s a competitive tournament run by the SPFL. Premiership teams can only use players under the age of 21 on 31st December 2018. 

That's going to be a tough one for Killie considering the game is to be played on 14th August 2018. 

That was a team just put together on the day. We don't have an u 21 team so that was inevitable. Strange competition. As I have said wasn't much in it and we had plenty of chances. That would of been the first or second outing of season for some of the players too so rustyness is perhaps understandable. Very low crowd similar to devpt games last year and at those prices im not surprised.

16 hours ago, Asasaid said:

Why? Do you want to give them to the club so they can call them all and thank them for attending? 

:9:

Why? Because I was interested in how many people were there, hence I asked the question.

What is it with the likes of you? Can't you give a simple answer to a simple question without trying to be a smart arse?

2 hours ago, Culley159 said:

Why? Because I was interested in how many people were there, hence I asked the question.

What is it with the likes of you? Can't you give a simple answer to a simple question without trying to be a smart arse?

I'd say about 250 at a rough guess.

12 hours ago, piffer said:

11 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Send boys like Cameron on loan to teams like Albion Rovers and that. Get him games and playing competitively against men. Loans of two / three months can make a massive difference. Hearts are a team who exploit the loan system well.

I agree that players in the age bracket 18-20 should go out on loan this season as their development under the new structure will be extremely limited. SPFL League 2 would be the preferred option, followed by the Lowland League. As a regular attendee at junior football the standard is generally much lower.