Kris Boyd Testimonial year

Trojan76

2 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Not a fan of testimonials at he best of times but definitely not when the player has left on 2 separate occasions, regardless of how many goals he's scored for us.

Nobody forces you to go though, so each to their own.

Sometimes I agree with you SH, sometimes I don't. 

I think you're bang on the money today though. Left us twice to go to Rangers and even for his testimonial season with us, (so thanking/honouring him for his time as a Killie player) a Rangers charity is involved. Shows where his heart lies. Which we've known twice now to be fair. 

Grateful for his goals, not an admirer of his continued disdain for us though. 

Edit: just saw your follow-post too. Couldn't agree more. I don't know why we're creaming ourselves over this. Was a big fan of Durrant too, but him being involved just seals the Rangers link and the liklihood that Rangers fans will take over this alleged Killie celebration. Ironic it's Durrant too... Was it not him that convinced Boydie to call off the Cardiff deal, and leave us for peanuts to go to Rangers the first time he left us? 

Edited by jesper

If the club wants to honour Boyd by all means do so. If Boyd wants to offer money to a charity connected to Sevco that’s his choice. Whether they get mentioned or not we won’t be able to keep Sevconians away because of who he is. It’s a sad fact of life. If you don’t agree with it then don’t go it’s that simple. 

I have a problem that it is mentioned in the same breath as our 150th celebrations. Those are a celebration of the club not individual players. 

58 minutes ago, jesper said:

I think you're bang on the money today though. Left us twice to go to Rangers and even for his testimonial season with us, (so thanking/honouring him for his time as a Killie player) a Rangers charity is involved. Shows where his heart lies. Which we've known twice now to be fair. 

Edit: just saw your follow-post too. Couldn't agree more. I don't know why we're creaming ourselves over this. Was a big fan of Durrant too, but him being involved just seals the Rangers link and the liklihood that Rangers fans will take over this alleged Killie celebration. Ironic it's Durrant too... Was it not him that convinced Boydie to call off the Cardiff deal, and leave us for peanuts to go to Rangers the first time he left us? 

Durrant's of my fave ever Killie players but I tend to agree.

As I said, I'm sure others won't but opinions are like arsehole....everyones got one!

2 hours ago, jesper said:

You can throw in Jim Stewart as well, who told him not to sign for anyone else as sevco wanted him

It’s a well deserved testimonial IMO and refreshing to see that 2 charities will benefit out of it. The days of the one club footballer are very infrequent and usually involves the “lesser lights “ who end up with a 4/5 figure pay off if they’re lucky after the tax man gets his cut. 

Think Boyd is great for us and does a lot behind the scenes with his work with the younger ones, but the sheer mention of those scummy mutants doesn’t sit well with me. They will take over and it’ll be by the way he plays for Killie. It’s bad enough we have to play them in the league and cup without having a friendly against them. I’ll stick to my direct debits for my charities.

2 minutes ago, FByrnes1017 said:

I thought a testimonial was for 300 appearances or more for a club. (Could be wrong in that) But looking at his stats I believe if he keeps playing this season he will hit 300 later in the season. 

10 years is it not? Mind Maurice Malpas got 2 for being with united for 20 plus. If it was 300, wouldn't Alan Robertson have had two too? Or did he? Is there an old about, to help out a youngster?

25 minutes ago, CB said:

10 years is it not? Mind Maurice Malpas got 2 for being with united for 20 plus. If it was 300, wouldn't Alan Robertson have had two too? Or did he? Is there an old about, to help out a youngster?

It's whatever the player and club agree in the contract. 

Could be a match or a full year; could be ten years or less. I don't think there's any hard or fast rules.

Alan Robertson had a testimonial year, including a match against Rangers.

Image result for alan robertson kilmarnock

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, offday281 said:

A testimonial is for a player who has spent a whole career at one club . missing out on potential transfer pay outs and for their loyalty.

I love boyd and i know hes not kerping the money . but it just doesn't sit well with me 

Agree 100%. 

If it's about putting bums on seats for charity at some dinner, split 50/50 between a Rangers and Killie charity I can't see what the problem is.

There's more Rangers fans than Killie so if involving Rangers puts more bums on seats, it could make even more money for the 50% allotted to the Killie charity - market forces n that, you know how it works in football.  Boydies career should tell us that in itself.

Personally I'm surprised Boyd's having a testimonial year, but as the dinner is for charity, seems most uncharitable to dis' it.

Edited by RAG

Just now, Garvis said:

If it’s Killie that’s giving him the testimonial why has Rankers even being mentioned? 

To help sell tickets at £59 a pop for the dinner in Glasgow.  It's not a testimonial match, this is just a dinner as part of the years testimonial celebration.

2 minutes ago, RAG said:

To help sell tickets at £59 a pop for the dinner in Glasgow.  It's not a testimonial match, this is just a dinner as part of the years testimonial celebration.

I may be wrong but it sure as s**te looks like it’s aimed at the punters that frequent Castle Greyskull