Current squad

Killie_cammyu84

2 hours ago, skygod said:

Greer started 20 league matches last season to Mulumbu’s 16. 

20 starts in the league? I find that astonishing. I remember a strong start to the season from Greer then after Clarke came in I find it difficult to remember many starts from Greer, I can't remember any after Christmas really. I'm sure the stat is probably right, it's just very surprising.

Mulumbu, Tsihbola, Greer & Erwin have all gone with only Njoli coming in. If anyone thinks we will do as well as we did last season without adding to the current squad then they are being extremely optimistic. I am sure SC knows we need some additions and surely we have some funds.

Still don't undertsand the Mulumbu situation - all the leagues have now started and he is still without a club and therefore a wage. Very surprised he hasn't signed for anyone yet.

we have a gap in the attacking quality in midfield and lacking an extra central defender and now a striker due to players who have left but surely any sensible review of current squad should be held off -- till end of August --looks to me that SC has got targets and deals may soon happen

25 minutes ago, killieblues said:

With James Wilson signing on loan at Aberdeen, I'm surprised we haven't utilised SC's link with Mourinho at Man U. You would imagine they have some fairly decent players coming through that could benefit from a season in the Scottish Premiership.

Interesting debate on this very thing last night on Sportsound. Apparently, Jose has scrapped the entire Under 23 youth players cos he feels they're mince. Hard to argue cos they got relegated last year. 

I do mostly try and take every thread/comment on here as a standalone and try to separate the poster from the point being made, but by god man, you make it difficult. How is it possible to be this negative about Kilmarnock at this point? Everything has been taken up a notch from seasons previous. I'm sure we'd've loved it if Iniesta came to the ToP to finish his career, but we need to temper our desire to be satisfied with a sliver of realism. 

Complaining we haven't signed four first teamers to replace those outgoing by now is just powderpuff nonsense.

The first time in YEARS we've had a mostly settled first 11 from season to season and people complain at lack of new signings. Those same people likely tutted furiously when we signed 14 and half right backs a couple of seasons ago.

5 hours ago, ki11ie said:

Agree but how often was he fit, once in every 3 games, we cannot afford to carry a player like that, therefore no big miss. Cannot reply on a player like that, Erwin replaceable, Mulumbu is irreplaceable and Tishbola i hope we work on trying to get him to rejoin

Better than broadfoot Findlay? Not in my book. Past his best.

14 hours ago, Killie_cammyu84 said:

A have a feeling that our current squad is what were going to run with. Fed up reading players being touted as potential signings. We have no money to pay fees and were offering a fiver a week in wages for free agents. So it's unlikely anybody will be interested in coming nor will they likely be of the quality we require to improve our squad.

I agree with your opener, but that's about all. 

We will likely run with the current squad, in the majority. Clarke has said it numerous times - the lads did a job for him last season and he wants to stay loyal to them. He has also said he wants to build the foundation of a squad again, get some familiarity/consistency of faces back in there. And lastly, as you say, we have budgetary constraints. 

In addition, I do agree with the latter part of your post in that we need some creativity. And I believe we'll bring someone in for that - hopefully Mulumbu, but in all likelihood, possibly not. However, your bit on offering free agents a fiver a week and not getting anyone is nonsense. Getting paid £1k/week and being put in the shop window at a reasonable level is better than getting paid £0k/week and sitting on your arse at home waiting on a phone call. Just look at Erwin. 

In short, I think we'll bring in one - maybe two at most - players. But, even if we don't, Clarke has shown that tactically he knows how to change things and get the best from a squad, so I'm not overly concerned (as long as we don't get too many injuries at once!) 

Edited by jesper

So Greer and Irwin gone. That must free up some wages.

Perhaps SC just doesn't see the need but we currently don't have anything creative happening in the middle of the park. Our main attacking options seem to be long high wide balls for SOD to run onto, a punt up and general free for all or give it to JJ and hope he can get by the fullback.  

Just now, gdevoy said:

So Greer and Irwin gone. That must free up some wages.

Perhaps SC just doesn't see the need but we currently don't have anything creative happening in the middle of the park. Our main attacking options seem to be long high wide balls for SOD to run onto, a punt up and general free for all or give it to JJ and hope he can get by the fullback.  

Erwin not free but Erwin to Iran fee 450k

Jones should be told to attack the full back from the first minute. Knock it past him and get across him. This season he continually turns inside into trouble. His danger is going outside to byline. 

It would be good to get a player who could play in number ten and put it between centre half and right back for Jones to run onto. I don’t know if he has enough intelligence to make those sort of runs though. 

I think there are several factors leading to Clarke’s current difficulties / dilemma. Firstly, he has some loyalty to the squad from last season, he’s stated that publicly and wants to give them a chance and promote some stability in the squad.

Secondly, I believe he’ll only look to bring in someone who can improve the squad, with a limited budget he’ll be looking to spend it wisely. No point making a signing for the sake of making a signing – see Lee Clark’s 11 signing in one day, June 2016.

He’s a shrewd manager / coach and knows what he wants to achieve and I don’t think he’ll make any rash actions just to appease the masses. I’m sure he has a player or two up his sleeve who he’ll announce in the coming weeks to settle all our nerves [I hope].

I agree Mulumbu is a big loss, but again we were told to enjoy him whilst he’s here - I just think he’s set the bar quite high for others to follow.

Week 2 of the season and both old firm teams have dropped points, Hearts are top of the league and Killie are the only SPL team not to concede a goal. Who had that on their coupon…?

21 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Would have thought with BBs excited chatter a few weeks ago, there must be money available. Mind you he was confident of selling over four thousand seasons then, so maybe the Killie public's  failure to back us has made him think again ;) 

Oh dear

8 hours ago, Fletch said:

20 starts in the league? I find that astonishing. I remember a strong start to the season from Greer then after Clarke came in I find it difficult to remember many starts from Greer, I can't remember any after Christmas really. I'm sure the stat is probably right, it's just very surprising.

Eighteen pre-Christmas, just two after - the win over Celtic and the Hearts snowball fight, both in February.

11 minutes ago, skygod said:

Eighteen pre-Christmas, just two after - the win over Celtic and the Hearts snowball fight, both in February.

Because Clarke found him out as a troublemaker, or because he was injured? 

Any idea why he fell out of favour and subsequently departed? 

4 minutes ago, jesper said:

Because Clarke found him out as a troublemaker....

Not the first time you have alleged that he was a disruptive influence.

Any actual evidence?

I would put his absence down to injuries and his departure down to his logistical situation with training.

Not to mention his age.

5 minutes ago, skygod said:

Not the first time you have alleged that he was a disruptive influence.

Any actual evidence?

I would put his absence down to injuries and his departure down to his logistical situation with training.

Not to mention his age.

I think McCulloch, at one point, stated somewhere that he was being undermined in the dressing room. I haven't looked for the actual quote, in honesty. 

It did seem somewhat true though when the team were coming out for the second half and Greer was going round them all one by one talking to them (although this could be construed as good leadership, but not sure if he was captain at the time.) 

Pretty sure he dictated when he trained too which, granted he might have a young family down south, but isn't conducive to a harmonious dressing room if one player is getting those privileges.