It's enugh to make you consider voting SNP

gdevoy

19 hours ago, harley said:

From post below it is probably right to assume that 68K is the price to purchase an ex local authority house. Apologies for posting this in advance but it seems to be quite important to BKK. ;)

The average price for property in Saltcoats stood at £115,056 in October 2018. This is a fall of 0.15% in the last three months (since July 2018) and rise of 1.51% since 12 months ago. In terms of property types, flats in Saltcoats sold for an average of £80,658 and terraced houses for £90,843. This is according to the current Zoopla estimates.

so hardly unaffordable for people on "good money", the drop in price doesn't suggest bidding wars either.

and before anyone slates the 3 towns I am sure there are worse places to live.

1 minute ago, Bhamkillieken said:

irrelevant, its about people getting on this "impossible" housing ladder, which is obviously not impossible

It's not "impossible" for me to win the lottery if I buy a ticket. But I find it helpful if I just store the event in the "never gonna happen pile".

For more and more people in Scotland, even many with good academic qualifications and a decent job, home ownership is on their "never gonna happen" pile. It is a fundamental consequence of unmoderated market forces that Friedman's followers just don't want to hear about. The Pareto distribution just becomes more and more skewed to the wealthy few. 

9 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

so hardly unaffordable for people on "good money", the drop in price doesn't suggest bidding wars either.

Most people on "good money" aint gonna be living within reasonable commuting distance of Ardrossan. I have a colleague who is living with his parents there and commuting here to Edinburgh by bike. He is struggling to find somewhere to rent locally. We supply high tech equipment to customers all over the world so I would have said he was on "good money" but he wont be buying anything within commuting distance of his work any time soon.

Actually the answer might be for my employer to re-locate to somewhere like Ardorssan but I don't see the high heid yins going for that.

(motor, not push before anybody asks.)

Edited by gdevoy

42 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

and before anyone slates the 3 towns I am sure there are worse places to live.

People on good money will always be able to afford a house unfortunately there has been a rise in poverty wages & I include the minimum wage in that. The point that everybody gets except you is that there is no affordable housing & no council stock left for low wage people. They are forced to go into private lets which leaves them unable to save for a deposit for their own house. 

20 hours ago, harley said:

People on good money will always be able to afford a house unfortunately there has been a rise in poverty wages & I include the minimum wage in that. The point that everybody gets except you is that there is no affordable housing & no council stock left for low wage people. They are forced to go into private lets which leaves them unable to save for a deposit for their own house. 

At last a sensIble post you understand these are two different topics. I agree with you. The argument that people on good money can’t afford a house is bulls**t. Maybe not the type of house they ideally want, or where they ideally want to be, but so what.

Didn't see this one coming. Billy always fell into the old Unionist trap that because you support independence that you hate the English which is utter nonsense.

SCOTS comic Sir Billy Connolly has revealed he’s ready to switch his support to indy amid fears over Brexit.

The Big Yin is warming to the Yes camp as he believes leaving the EU would be a “disaster”.

The comic legend, 75, who didn’t vote in the 2014 referendum, has previously been a critic of nationalism and dubbed Holyrood a “wee, pretendy parliament”.

But in new book Made in Scotland, he wrote: “The most important thing for Scotland is keep our contact with Europe. Scots voted to stay in Europe, and if the only way for us to do that is to become independent from England, that may just be the way to go.

“And I never thought I would say that.”

He added: “One thing I’ve never had any interest in is hating England, and the English. I like Thomas Hardy as much as Robert Burns.

“As an Anglophile, I’ve never shouted for independence but I might be changing my mind now.

“The Brexit vote is a disaster and the breaking up of the togetherness of Europe is a crime bordering on a sin.

I didn’t care when Connolly was a unionist, I don’t care now. His willingness to run the Brigadoon show for his royal pals just made him a laughing stock in my eyes. He looks like a Nicky Fairbairn wannabe, dressed up in his “Highland” garb, and we all know what a creepy f**ker Fairbairn was. Another one from the establishment saved by the grim reaper from justice.