Cyclists

Shropshire_killie

Plagued by these lycra clad tossers down here in Shropshire who simply refuse to pull over and by their arrogance, create queues of traffic. They frequently two abreast or in groups but even singly will carry on regardless of other road users. I guess coz they think they are "athletes" the rules have changed and they can do what they like. A lot of them seem to be old gits too. Rant over.

1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Plagued by these lycra clad tossers down here in Shropshire who simply refuse to pull over and by their arrogance, create queues of traffic.

I fully accept that there are cyclists who are tossers out there; but if you think all cyclists should give way to cars at all times then I think the arrogance might be shared between parties.

They frequently two abreast or in groups but even singly will carry on regardless of other road users.

Riding 2 abreast makes it safer for all parties. If a driver can't overtake 2 cyclists safely, they probably couldn't have overtaken them if they were out on their own.

A lot of them seem to be old gits too.

Keeping healthy into middle age. Good on them.

1 hour ago, stumack said:

The code is just fine where that is concerned. If everyone followed the code, the roads would be a far safer place for all. 

How very true.

In Edinburgh, as a motorist, I have to be constantly on the lookout for dickheads on bikes without lights in the dark. Dickheads on bikes cycling towards me on the wrong side of the road in the dark without lights. Dickheads on bikes who don't stop at red lights and treat all the road markings as though the really don't apply to them.

In Edinburgh, as a pedestrian I have to be constantly be on the lookout for dickheads on bikes at Pelican crossings. All the cars stop, the green man comes on, you step into the road and wizzzooooom you nearly get taken out by a high speed cyclist. Because, as we all know, red traffic lights don't apply to them.

So I'm all for the highway code, and I will be fully supportive of cyclists whenever they start to take notice of it.

50 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

How very true.

In Edinburgh, as a motorist, I have to be constantly on the lookout for dickheads on bikes without lights in the dark. Dickheads on bikes cycling towards me on the wrong side of the road in the dark without lights. Dickheads on bikes who don't stop at red lights and treat all the road markings as though the really don't apply to them.

In Edinburgh, as a pedestrian I have to be constantly be on the lookout for dickheads on bikes at Pelican crossings. All the cars stop, the green man comes on, you step into the road and wizzzooooom you nearly get taken out by a high speed cyclist. Because, as we all know, red traffic lights don't apply to them.

So I'm all for the highway code, and I will be fully supportive of cyclists whenever they start to take notice of it.

I couldn't agree more.

In Kilmarnock as a motorist, I'm constantly on the lookout for dickheads who can't understand road markings at the junction of Holmes Road and Dundonald Road, across from Rugby Park. Sometimes they come in on the wrong side of the road if I'm joining Dundonald Road. If I'm leaving Dundonald road sometimes they drive straight through from Aird Avenue because they are in a hurry and road markings and signs don't matter.

In Kilmarnock as a commuter, I can go on the top deck of the X76 bus and count the one in three dickhead drivers on the M77 on their phones, because that latest Trump video on Facebook is so important. That's not to count the many dickhead drivers that speed on the motorway and complain that they were only doing a few mph over the limit.

In Kilmarnock as a cyclist, I have to ride on the road with the express belief that every single motorist is trying to kill me, intentionally or otherwise. I ride to the rules of the road, I wear high visibility stuff when appropriate and lights too. Yet despite this, some motorists 'can't see me'. I was recently about to turn right into my street, and I knew there was a Suzuki Vitara behind me, and I could hear him getting closer. I put my hand out to signal, and waited. His engine note didn't change so I knew he wasn't slowing down. Sure enough, two seconds later, I heard the screech of his tyres as he locked up, already trying to pass me when he realised I was turning right. He held his hand up, and apologised for 'not seeing me'. I'm over six feet tall, I was wearing a very high viz vest, I had a light on under my saddle and another on the back of my helmet. Oh, and it was daylight.

So, I am also all for the Highway Code, and I will be fully supportive of all motorists when they start to take notice of it.

What is it they say about taking the plank out of your own eye again?

18 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I was wearing a very high viz vest, I had a light on under my saddle and another on the back of my helmet. Oh, and it was daylight.

Daylight can be worse than at night if you're cycling in traffic, especially as most cars have daytime running lights now!

I reckon the phase a rear cycle light flashes on is important.  I'e still got a vintage Cat Eye rear light that I use on my bike that does the Knight Rider flashing red dot sequence across the light.  Cars seem happy to give you a bit more space with that than using a normal light in my experience.  Flashing so they see you, but not so annoying that they want to get past you immediately!

I had zero near misses in Edinburgh using it anyway. 

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

How very true.

Never seen a driver being a dick then?

Surprising...

43 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

I was recently about to turn right into my street, and I knew there was a Suzuki Vitara behind me, and I could hear him getting closer. I put my hand out to signal, and waited. His engine note didn't change so I knew he wasn't slowing down. Sure enough, two seconds later, I heard the screech of his tyres as he locked up, already trying to pass me when he realised I was turning right

had something very similar at the start of my cycle. Except this time it was a van trying to beat me to a traffic island, when he realised he wasn't making it all i could hear was the screech of brakes. 

Cyclists can be dicks, motorists can be dicks. But lets face it, on my bike it's unlikely that I'm going to kill the driver of  a vehicle upwards of a to in weight. 

6 minutes ago, stumack said:

Cyclists can be dicks, motorists can be dicks. But lets face it, on my bike it's unlikely that I'm going to kill the driver of  a vehicle upwards of a to in weight. 

You are absolutely right the consequences of being a dick on a bike are much less severe. My point was that this does not make it acceptable to behave like one. One of my work colleagues had to get medical treatment after being hit by a cyclist who barrelled right through the red light at the crossing just outside.

I know there are some real dickeads in motors and being a cyclist puts you at risk. However knowing there are motorists out there, instead of just blaming them for everything you can make things as easy as possible for them and minimize that risk. If I was on a bike at night I would have a high viz vest on because I know, as a motor car driver, just how difficult cyclists are to see.

46 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

One of my work colleagues had to get medical treatment after being hit by a cyclist who barrelled right through the red light at the crossing just outside.

Highway Code also applies to pedestrians. There are rules for crossings which state something like looking both ways and checking traffic has stopped. 

27 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

Highway Code also applies to pedestrians. There are rules for crossings which state something like looking both ways and checking traffic has stopped. 

The "traffic" had stopped, that was the issue. The stationary cars obscured the view of the cyclist hurtling towards the crossing.

Been out a 36 mile cycle with this thread in mind;

The cycling infrastructure in Newcastle has vastly improved since I lived near the city centre. There is essentially a cycling highway that goes from Gateshead right through to the north of the city. Keeps cyclists and motor vehicles apart. Stops bellends from both parties meeting each other. Obviously not possible in all major towns and cities but something that would go along way to minimise the danger to both parties.

Any time I did have to mingle with motor vehicles, there were no issues. Nobody tried any risky overtakes, all of them gave me plenty of room without me having to ride in the gutter.

I didn't see any cyclists go through a red light. I saw 2 cars accelerate through lights that had just gone red.

The biggest issue in Newcastle centre is pedestrians jumping out in front of you without looking. But a look at the list of incidents on Blackett Street will tell you they'll do that with buses too.

I think this thread is really just about dickheads. It just happens to be that some of them ride bikes. 

I have more problems with cyclists on the cycle route that runs from killie to Irvine,the worst seem to think you have mirrors and can see them coming from behind!Had a few near misses with my dogs who if I see a cyclist I put back on there leads but that’s not good enough for some.

3 hours ago, RAG said:

Daylight can be worse than at night if you're cycling in traffic, especially as most cars have daytime running lights now!

I reckon the phase a rear cycle light flashes on is important.  I'e still got a vintage Cat Eye rear light that I use on my bike that does the Knight Rider flashing red dot sequence across the light.  Cars seem happy to give you a bit more space with that than using a normal light in my experience.  Flashing so they see you, but not so annoying that they want to get past you immediately!

I had zero near misses in Edinburgh using it anyway. 

It's one of these that I have (or a similar one from Proviz, anyway). You can't possibly be missed in the dark wearing one. Assuming drivers have their lights on of course.......

A decent helmet mounted light is great too - if you see cars coming out of side roads, when you look at them it lets them know you are there.

2 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I know there are some real dickeads in motors and being a cyclist puts you at risk. However knowing there are motorists out there, instead of just blaming them for everything you can make things as easy as possible for them and minimize that risk. If I was on a bike at night I would have a high viz vest on because I know, as a motor car driver, just how difficult cyclists are to see.

You did read the bit I posted where I was lit up like a f**king Christmas tree in broad daylight and still 'wasn't seen' didn't you?

Drivers don't pay as much attention as they should. That is what puts cyclists at risk. If everyone was following the Highway Code, cyclists wouldn't be at risk would they?

2 hours ago, Prahakillie said:

Pedestrians cannot observe the rules as they are too busy texting as they walk .... :5:

21 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

It's one of these that I have (or a similar one from Proviz, anyway). You can't possibly be missed in the dark wearing one. Assuming drivers have their lights on of course.......

A decent helmet mounted light is great too - if you see cars coming out of side roads, when you look at them it lets them know you are there.

Schwalbe Marathon reflective tyres are also good at getting you noticed as a bike, especially at junctions.

For my use mostly about town they were reflective enough and reflect headlights from a mile away or something like that.tires2.jpg