Cyclists

Shropshire_killie

1 hour ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Some folk missing the point. Cyclists you are in a slow vehicle.

Therein lies the point - or you completely missing the point  On a bicycle you aren't in a vehicle at all.  Theres no airbags, seatbelts or any of that safety equipment you'd associate with being in a vehicle with say rear facing mirrors to enable you to pull in as you suggest.  Best you've got's a helmet but unless it's a motorbike one - you'll still break your neck in a fairly minor crash.

9 hours ago, Shropshire_killie said:

I dont give a s**t how fit you are in your lycra. f**king pull in. 

No. It's dangerous to ride in the gutter. Be patient and overtake me safely like you would any other vehicle.

9 hours ago, Shropshire_killie said:

I should add if it's clear cyclist is on his/her way to work or elsewhere I give utmost respect.

So it's cyclists who are trying to stay fit you have a particular problem with? All cyclists are going somewhere. 

23 hours ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Like tractors and other slow moving stuff they should pull in! 

Aren’t farm workers driving tractors going to work? 

Or do the good folk of Salop drive tractors for recreational purposes?!

All road users are sharing the road and drivers need to exercise a little patience. 

11 hours ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Some folk missing the point. Cyclists you are in a slow vehicle. I dont give a s**t how fit you are in your lycra. f**king pull in. I should add if it's clear cyclist is on his/her way to work or elsewhere I give utmost respect. Nice debate. 

Keep digging.... :/

I was just about to continue the debate here, and I might return to it later, but my life has been stopped temporarily after reading this bombshell:

1 hour ago, skygod said:

As an aside, I was on holiday recently with a group of strangers including a farmer.

giphy.gif

Edited by Scooby_Doo
I'm so shaken by the revelation I can't type

11 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Can we all at least agree that cycle-cam “heroes” are the worst people on the roads?

I'm all for cameras for keeping a record of accidents/incidents in the same way as dash cams. However, cyclists with cameras that go out their way to try to police the streets are utter cockwombles.

I've recently got a bike and have been cycling on the roads round my town. I've not had a single issue with any drivers in the 7/8 weeks I've been doing it. Granted, I'm rarely out on the rush hour when drivers may be a bit more...assertive.

In the town there's only about half the route I do which has a cycle strip. It's also been very light when I've been doing it, and I guess things could change once the darker nights come. But I intend on adding to my wardrobe some yellow hi viz clobber and have lights on my bike already. 

I'm also looking at investing in those bone conduction headphones so that I can listen to music whilst keeping my ears out for traffic etc. 

To address the OP, there's a gif (which I cant find) showing how much better/safer/correct it is to overtake two cyclists who are side by side as opposed to one in front of the other. The only way you'd be restricted from overtaking them would be if there was oncoming traffic, and if you're the type of driver who'd overtake a cyclist whilst there IS oncoming traffic in the other lane thinking there's enough room for a cyclist, you and the other car in the oncoming lane, you're not doing it right.   

The long and short of it is that road users can be utter bellends. 

As a driver ive seen cyclists doing sime pretty mental things but ive probably seen more bad driving that cycling to be fair. 

The cyclists that bother me the most are the guys that you see at 6am going to/from work with no high vis clothing on and if you are lucky a s**tty wee light that clearly dont drive and arent sure of the rules of the road. Ive always thought you should have to have a licence to go on the road with a bike i.e. passing a theory test. 

I seldom use the roads on my bike as its a mountain bike I have and tend to prefer trails and paths but I have to use the roads on occasion and the thought of going out of town on the open roads scares the bejesus out of me. These folk must be mental. Just the other day there we were heading to Troon and there was a cycle race on the bypass and this lassie just pulled right across us without signalling and the misses had to slam the breaks on in the heavy rain. 

4 hours ago, chubbs said:

and there are also wanky pedestrians (normally runners who charge off the pavement without looking).

Which takes us back to wanky drivers who don’t know that the sticky out thing that comes out of the steering block is an indicator and should be used to give other road users AND pedestrians a hint as to which direction they’re going.

Edited by Merk

On 8/16/2018 at 10:07 AM, Zorro said:

Can we all at least agree that cycle-cam “heroes” are the worst people on the roads?

Not so sure about worst people on the roads, but definetly bellends. There is one guy that dresses like Dynamo from The Running Man and gives people fake tickets and the like when he sees them on their phone. He was knocked off his bike before and seems to think that qualifies him as a copper. He is helping no-one.

I don't have an issue with cyclists wearing or using cameras, but it's pure narcissism to upload it YouTube. If there's been an offence, only Plod needs to see it, not everyone else.

18 hours ago, cammy_boy said:

The cyclists that bother me the most are the guys that you see at 6am going to/from work with no high vis clothing on and if you are lucky a s**tty wee light that clearly dont drive and arent sure of the rules of the road. Ive always thought you should have to have a licence to go on the road with a bike i.e. passing a theory test.

I disagree, I think you should ride on the road and pass the equivalent of the old Cycling Proficiency (think it's called Bikeability or something now) before you get to drive a car. I was riding on the roads from a very young age and it helped me a lot when I started driving.

On 8/15/2018 at 9:56 PM, Shropshire_killie said:

Some folk missing the point. Cyclists you are in a slow vehicle. I dont give a s**t how fit you are in your lycra. f**king pull in. I should add if it's clear cyclist is on his/her way to work or elsewhere I give utmost respect. Nice debate. 

Just as long as the next time you're driving along and someone in a German car (because lets face it, it will be) is right up your arse, you pull in because you are in a slow moving vehicle.

Or do you think they're being a w****r? Asking for a friend.