Danny Buijs

Bodgdan

Apologies if common knowledge or you're just not that interested in Danny Buijs but he is now manager of FC Groningen in the Dutch top flight.

Memories of him are him generally being injured and doing a good version of the Dutch Gary Locke.

Best thing he ever did was get injured in the final so Lee Johnson could put in that cross for DVT.

One thing I do remember players commenting on was his attitude to professionalism. Training,diet,pre match meal etc were often criticised by Dutch Danny.Of course at that time we were hamstrung by financial constraints and the involvement of the Chairman. I wonder if he has an open cheque book now to pay for such things?

I actually think he was one of the main reasons we weren't a couple of goals down in the first 15 minutes of the LC final.

After Sissoko's moment of madness, we needed a calm experience head to organise things, keep the ball, take two touches and slow things down - that was exactly what he did, and as a result set the tone for the rest of the team to follow.  I thought he was a total class act, and one that if fit we wouldn't have had a chance at.  Obviously we couldn't have offered him another year, but for the joy that the eventual victory continues to bring us, that 20 minutes in the final was worth his years salary.

Hope he does well.