Gers Fred

skygod

39 minutes ago, fraz65 said:

We're only two or three players short of being capable of a top six challenge. 

In 25 years, we've beaten Rangers twice at Rugby Park in almost 50 attempts. One of those wins came when they played Mark Hately in central defence. 

Scott Boyd was poor today against a very good striker by SPL standards. He's rarely let us down in two years. 

It's disappointing to edit the cup at this stage but I think that there's still a good season ahead. 

That can't be right. We beat them last season and I remember us beating them with a Pascali header.

Didn't think there was too much in it today disappointing to see us concede from two very similar goals, thought jj and brophy played well didn't see too much wrong with performances of the others. S. Boyd obviously going to struggle with a striker with a bit of pace no clue how he got wrong side for the second goal. Two/three good players in and Findlay back in and we'll be fine imo, once again we stuck around the whole game thought at 2-1 we had some momentum but faded, ultimately didn't do enough in the final 3rd. Ah well take their gate money and pay someones wage haha, on to the next one KTID !

Disappointed to go out one of the two cups already. Rangers were very clinical and managed the game well in the second half. 

We never got going at all for the second week running. Power and Dicker were facing three players in central midfield. This lead to both getting booked needlessly due to frustration. Burke and Sod both had a decent game and I felt Brophy worked hard albeit without much reward. 

Today has shown we certainly need 3 bodies minimum to compete the way we did last year. Jones has to have a real look at himself especially. Flying last year and a few names get mentioned in the press looking at him and his head goes up his arse. The amount of bad decisions he makes when he is in dangerous areas is bewildering. He looked heartless pulling out of tackles and not tracking back, leading to an overload for first goal. 

Scott Boyd today showed why we desperately need another centre back. It’s okay for him to be cover against teams like St Johnstone etc but against better teams he was found out big time. Morelos rolled him about 4/5 times. That is criminal for a centre half especially on edge of the box. 

Boyd, 35 Now and to expect the same as last season is crazy. Has hardly had a kick in last two games. The link between midfield and him isn’t there so maybe that is why. Kiltie must be incredibly out the picture as he didn’t even get brought on. 

Big few weeks coming up, hopefully a more impressive performance next week against a big physical Hearts side. Scott Boyd can’t get rolled like that again. 

Need signings

Killie competed well enough today. They were beaten by a better team. Rangers are far superior then they were last term. If they continue in the same vein, they'll challenge Celtic. 

As for us, SC consistently says we need to be competitive, and we are and were today. If you have a budget of £0 to spend, I'm baffled as to why some on here are being critical of him and the team. 

The only conclusion I come to is the expectation after last season has crept over the line from: excited about, to the unrealistic. 

Look at our bench today, Innes Cameron and Will Graham. Think that speaks volumes.

The 'big five' in the league look like they've all more or less strengthend. I think you'll find the gap between 5th and 6th considerable come the end of the season. I'd estimate around the 10 point mark. IMO Killie will be competing for 6th. I see no reason why we can't make a fist of it. Any more than that and it'd be a fantastic season.

1 minute ago, Candygram for mongo said:

If you have a budget of £0 to spend, I'm baffled as to why some on here are being critical of him and the team

As has been repeatedly said, the squad has been reduced by a number of senior players whose salaries should be available to the manager. 

We have signed Millen - for peanuts, reportedly - and Findlay plus a couple of loanees.

Either there should be money available or the budget has been cut.

I'm not sure that people are being that critical anyway. A bit impatient maybe.

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

As has been repeatedly said, the squad has been reduced by a number of senior players whose salaries should be available to the manager. 

We have signed Millen - for peanuts, reportedly - and Findlay plus a couple of loanees.

I think its more frustration than anything else. We have spent years with the " excitement " of many players coming in only for our hopes to be dashed when we see them play. This season it appears that peoples hopes have been dashed already with no real recruitment that would take us forward. Fasten your seat belts guys and gals the next 12 days will be very exciting.

Disappointed to go out. 

Thought we were in it until 1-3. That third killed us. They put chances on a plate for Morelos and we couldn’t get Boyd in those positions. They also scored at important times. For me we were on top when they took the lead. Just before half time is always a good time to score and the third prevented us laying siege in search of an equaliser. 

Thought JJ was frustrating. When he faced up out wide and took on the man he created a goal. Too often he left Taylor alone defensively when they normally work well as a unit. Scott Boyd didn’t look comfortable all day. 

SOD, Power, Burke and Brophy did well imo. 

Last year with the three in the middle imo we’d have countered their dominance. Today at times we just looked one short and they always had an easy pass. I thought Dicker and Power gave their all but we didn’t have that easy pass. We had to search for a pass. 

Worth remembering these were the games last year where Mulumbu shone. He lifted us above Rangers and Celtic. We lacked that real quality. Agree with others we need to add something to the group to try and replace it. Losing Greer and Smith isn’t a huge loss as we were without them for so long. Mulumbu, Erwin and Tshibola were key players and stood out in these games. 

They are a far better team than last year. There are still chinks in the armour though. 

The omens weren't good for me today. Walked into the kitchen and stood on a dead mouse, crunch. Then went to the bog at the ground, sat down in my seat and my fly zip burst.

Apart from that I didn't feel we played that badly although they are definitely more solid than they were last season and we are lacking somebody with the ability to break down a tight defence. Thought the new goalkeeper played well despite the scoreline and Burke put in a power of work. Jones was well marked in every sense and the stoppage for the head injuries came at a time when were in the ascendancy and we never regained it.

15 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Killie competed well enough today. They were beaten by a better team. Rangers are far superior then they were last term. If they continue in the same vein, they'll challenge Celtic. 

As for us, SC consistently says we need to be competitive, and we are and were today. If you have a budget of £0 to spend, I'm baffled as to why some on here are being critical of him and the team. 

The only conclusion I come to is the expectation after last season has crept over the line from: excited about, to the unrealistic. 

Look at our bench today, Innes Cameron and Will Graham. Think that speaks volumes.

The 'big five' in the league look like they've all more or less strengthend. I think you'll find the gap between 5th and 6th considerable come the end of the season. I'd estimate around the 10 point mark. IMO Killie will be competing for 6th. I see no reason why we can't make a fist of it. Any more than that and it'd be a fantastic season.

100% spot on. Our target is 6th place, anything higher would miraculous.

One defeat and the knives are out. We need to remember where we were when Sir Steve arrived both on and off the park. I’ve no doubt there will be a couple of new faces before the end of the month to strengthen the squad. There will be better teams than Killie beaten by this vastly improved Rangers side. In fact for once the old firm matches could be competitive. We worked hard, competed and on another day we could of scored another couple of goals. Believe in Sir Steve.

Sir Steve's home record since taking over is now:

P 20 W 13 D 3 L 4 (this counts the Cup games against Aberdeen and St.Mirren as 'draws' which they were at FT, even though we lost both on pens).

We have therefore only lost to Aberdeen, (twice) Hibs, and now Rangers in that period-it is a brilliant record,especially when we look at what went before in the past few years.

Also, the only player really missing from last season in today's starting XI was Mulumbu, as there is a fair chance that both S.Boyd and Brophy would have started the game last year. The point being that despite also losing the likes of Greer, Tsihbola, and Erwin the other players were much the same. 

I do agree with others that when you look at the bench, it does seem to be a bit thin on the ground, hence the need for another midfielder, and probably centre half. Mulumbu is clearly a massive loss, and although Burke, for instance, has started the season well, it was probably the type of game today when we needed a more physical presence in there-McKenzie might have been a good shout if not for injury. As others have said Rangers look almost unrecognizable from their side of the past 2 or 3 years. Despite that the game today turned on some moments, which as Steve said, went for them at the right times, but didn't go for us. It is undoubtedly frustrating to have drawn the OF in the League Cup last two years at an early stage as well.

With the players we currently have and the addition of a couple more, we should still be more than a match for sides in the bottom 6. It will certainly be tougher this year than last against the likes of Hearts and Rangers in particular as both have significantly strengthened their squads.

Difficult few games coming up certainly but over the season we should still be okay. 

28 minutes ago, skygod said:

Yeah, ok. I understand there are comings and goings in regard to wages etc. My budget of £0 was meant in a general sense: ie compared to the bigger hitters in the league, like our opponents today......which is what the complainers are comparing us to today.

48 minutes ago, maxyboy said:

Didn't think there was too much in it today disappointing to see us concede from two very similar goals, thought jj and brophy played well didn't see too much wrong with performances of the others. S. Boyd obviously going to struggle with a striker with a bit of pace no clue how he got wrong side for the second goal. Two/three good players in and Findlay back in and we'll be fine imo, once again we stuck around the whole game thought at 2-1 we had some momentum but faded, ultimately didn't do enough in the final 3rd. Ah well take their gate money and pay someones wage haha, on to the next one KTID !

JJ played well ??? Some pub's takings must've got a big boost pre match if that's what you saw.

:31:

We left ourselves in bother today a few times but I think one moment really changed the game. Foderingham makes a great save and then soon after Morelos makes it 2. If we had got back on terms and got to half time it could have been a different story but hey ho. Rangers look better but let's be honest it was hardly going to be hard to better their standard of the last few years. I'll be interested to see how they do against physical teams like Hearts and Motherwell and obviously Celtic

5 minutes ago, heynow2005 said:

We left ourselves in bother today a few times but I think one moment really changed the game. Foderingham makes a great save and then soon after Morelos makes it 2. If we had got back on terms and got to half time it could have been a different story but hey ho. Rangers look better but let's be honest it was hardly going to be hard to better their standard of the last few years. I'll be interested to see how they do against physical teams like Hearts and Motherwell and obviously Celtic

I agree re: not hard for Rangers to be better compared to previous seasons. But they've came on leaps and bounds on the evidence so far. 

I'm not sure the physicality of Hearts etc will be too concerning for them. They look to me as if they can move the ball quickly, efficiently and do it with pace going forward....that'll beat physicality more often than not. I think they could potentially challenge Celtic. Strength/depth of squad might be their undoing.