Standing Still.

MarkD1989KTID

Really frustrated at the lack of investment in the playing staff this year and the obvious lack of clear signings that we should have already made. 

We need a good solid fast centre back to partner Broadfoot (Findlay as cover, Scott Boyd is nowhere near good enough at this level, legs have gone he's sooo slow.)

We need a creative forward thinking centre midfielder (for strength in depth we realistically need 2). 

Was really excited that Steve Clarke had his first real transfer window with us since he joined and thought with his contacts at the big premier league English clubs we would see at the very least some shrewd loan signings. 

Time for those who pledged millions when MJ left to....well give us those millions. They should have plastered that pledge on the side of a big red bus. 

We're standing still as all around us strengthen. 

Sadly, I have to agree with everything that has been said. I think we need a new centre half, some creativity in midfield and someone up front to support or offer an alternative to Boyd. I think we have a lot of old heads in the team and while I couldn't fault their effort, they cant be guaranteed to play 90 mins every game this season

25 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Steve Clarke has already said our business will be done towards the end of the window. 

But we're now out the cup and league campaign has started. Any players that come in now have missed pre season with us and are likely to severely lack match sharpness. 

Question is this.....Is it Clarke's decision not to strengthen? or is he frustrated that he hasn't been backed / hasn't been able to bring in who he wants? Could this frustrate him enough to want to walk away like it looks Brendan at Celtic will do. 

Steve Clarke has been amazing for us that goes without saying but If you deliberately have already planned to wait until the start of the season to sign players and until were out the cup then that's a poor decision. 

Edited by MarkD1989KTID

1 hour ago, MarkD1989KTID said:

Really frustrated at the lack of investment in the playing staff this year and the obvious lack of clear signings that we should have already made. 

We need a good solid fast centre back to partner Broadfoot (Findlay as cover, Scott Boyd is nowhere near good enough at this level, legs have gone he's sooo slow.)

We need a creative forward thinking centre midfielder (for strength in depth we realistically need 2). 

Was really excited that Steve Clarke had his first real transfer window with us since he joined and thought with his contacts at the big premier league English clubs we would see at the very least some shrewd loan signings. 

Time for those who pledged millions when MJ left to....well give us those millions. They should have plastered that pledge on the side of a big red bus. 

We're standing still as all around us strengthen. 

MJ hasn't left and remains a major shareholder. This is an obvious impediment to some of the potential investors mentioned coming on board. 

I'm sure that Steve Clarke is well aware of the weaknesses in the squad but he's operating with a limited budget. It's also unclear whether Premiership managers would be willing to send young players out to play on a plastic pitch. 

5 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

He's an automatic choice when fit. 

One of our top players last season after the winter break. 

Glad we got him to sign on a permanent deal. 

He's our second best after Broadfoot in my opinion as i feel he's still raw and will still make mistakes. Findlay is quick which is his asset but can people say they feel confident when he has the ball at his feet? 

Lack of investment? Someone hasn't been paying attention to the huge leaps and bounds we've taken under the current board, which hasn't come for free or without hard work. 

Must also not have been listening to the manager who has clearly said that with the budget he has, we'll be looking to pick folk up in this next week or so. 

We all know what players are needed and I have faith in Clarke to bring them in and the board to back him.

23 minutes ago, Gordon said:

Sadly, I have to agree with everything that has been said. I think we need a new centre half, some creativity in midfield and someone up front to support or offer an alternative to Boyd. I think we have a lot of old heads in the team and while I couldn't fault their effort, they cant be guaranteed to play 90 mins every game this season

Agreed. Unfortunately I thought Erwin was becoming a good foil for Boyd with the potential of eventually replacing him. Can’t blame him for chasing the cash but we need to replace him.

We've done a mini Celtic and taken a step back. Two quality signings might have made all the difference today. Instead we're out of one cup and anybody signing has to get up to speed while we play a series of tough games in the league. Big talk from Billy, but no action at all so far. 

6 minutes ago, Dillinger said:

Lack of investment? Someone hasn't been paying attention to the huge leaps and bounds we've taken under the current board, which hasn't come for free or without hard work. 

Must also not have been listening to the manager who has clearly said that with the budget he has, we'll be looking to pick folk up in this next week or so. 

We all know what players are needed and I have faith in Clarke to bring them in and the board to back him.

the full sentence was lack of investment in the playing staff....would you call Ross Millen from Queens Park and a loan player an investment of leaps and bounds?

Going by the fact we signed a full team every year for the past few years and have lost high earners such as Greer etc who haven't been replaced that money must be available for replacements? yet so far we haven't replaced them...so I don't see how our investment in players have came on on leaps and bounds? 

MarkD1989KTID, its hard to argue with the areas we need strengthened, and also how frustrating it is to already to be out of one of the only 2 competitions we can realistically win. However, it was only chance that led us to be drawn against sevco at this stage in the competition and there is no doubting that they are a different proposition this season compared to recent years. In a way, it's refreshing to see how much we are hurting after a game like that, because it shows how our expectations have risen, justifiably so.

Where I disagree is with your assessment of Clarke and Rodgers. These guys are savvy and they know what's what with Scottish football. IF you honestly believe that guys of that calibre would throw their dummies out the pram and "walk away" when they don't get their own way, then I think you have a distorted view of what it takes to succeed in football management these days.

Clarke, in particular, is a pragmatist and is very much a "big picture" "long game" type. There's a different type of pressure on Rodgers but I don't give a monkey's about him or them so I'll leave that be.  

You imply concern about other teams around us "strengthening", but signing players doesn't always lead to "strengthening". We are more stable now on and off the pitch than we have been for a long time and I firmly believe we will be top 6 this season again.

From where we have come, I for one will take that!

This has been the first 'big' team we've played and it highlighted where we need to strengthen in order the challenge at that level consistently.  Obviously disappointed to go out but in the long run it could be to our long-term benefit if the lessons have been learned.

Maybe if the club got their off field business sorted out ,like contacting last season’s player sponsors and ground advertising board sponsors, in advance of the season starting, more income would be in the club’s coffers to assist player investment.

This is clearly highlighted in the thread ‘shirt sponsors’. 

36 minutes ago, MarkD1989KTID said:

But we're now out the cup and league campaign has started. Any players that come in now have missed pre season with us and are likely to severely lack match sharpness. 

Question is this.....Is it Clarke's decision not to strengthen? or is he frustrated that he hasn't been backed / hasn't been able to bring in who he wants? Could this frustrate him enough to want to walk away like it looks Brendan at Celtic will do. 

Steve Clarke has been amazing for us that goes without saying but If you deliberately have already planned to wait until the start of the season to sign players and until were out the cup then that's a poor decision. 

We've lost players from last season and 'Im sure Steve Clarke knows the areas we need to strengthen. Anyone can see we need a bit of creativity in centre midfield.

Having said that todays performance wasn't helped by those who performed well last season being out of sorts.

In particular JJ and Gary Dicker. Both have disappointed the past 2 games.

Regarding missing pre season and match fitness we can sign players from other Scottish clubs who may have been playing first team football.