Managerial merry-go-round

24 minutes ago, Bbk said:

The real point in today's events should not be lost on any of us in that there is no loyalty in football nowadays though we can only hope SC is true in saying he will not move to another Scottish team!

Despite what he’s said I think the majority of us have always had this niggle that if that job came up he would take it. What happens remains to be seen. I think there is a difference in what he has said and what Rodgers and others have said. SSC can say circumstances and opportunities change. Rodgers took a leaf out the Robbie Keane book of first press conferences and then read another chapter tonight.

That 

12 hours ago, Bbk said:

The real point in today's events should not be lost on any of us in that there is no loyalty in football nowadays

There never really has been, amongst players anyway. 

As a club, I think we were phenomenally lucky to have a group of players in Alan McCulloch, Stuart McLean, Alan Robertson, Paul Clarke, Derrick McDicken and Eddie Morrison who played together season in, season out for years.

They might not have been the best but they were very good, but part-time and could have made more money elsewhere, which they watched others do - Stewart, Armstrong, Iain McCulloch, Provan, Smith et al.

Edited by skygod

Loyalty is a two way thing - in the past a player's future career wasnt determined not nly by himself but by the board of the club he played for. That was wrong.

The move shows where Scottish football is compared to the EPL - a manager leaves our biggest club where he can win trophies and qualify for the champions league to go to club whose immediate priority every year will be to avoid relegation and where success will be finising between 7th and 10th.

The salary being quoted in the press is huge - over £5m per year!

Reading this morning that Celtic have been really hit here. On the park they’ll need a major rebuild. Plenty of players out of contract and loan players returning to their clubs. Seems Rodgers has taken a lot of the back room staff with him to Leicester. He was the first since Strachan allowed to restructure the back room team and infrastructure. They’re all his men and have/will jump ship with him. 

9 minutes ago, piffer said:

Reading this morning that Celtic have been really hit here. On the park they’ll need a major rebuild. Plenty of players out of contract and loan players returning to their clubs. Seems Rodgers has taken a lot of the back room staff with him to Leicester. He was the first since Strachan allowed to restructure the back room team and infrastructure. They’re all his men and have/will jump ship with him. 

My heart bleeds for them  :2:

1 hour ago, piffer said:

Ha ha ha ha 

Get is right f**king up them

On 2/26/2019 at 10:35 PM, skygod said:

That 

There never really has been, amongst players anyway. 

As a club, I think we were phenomenally lucky to have a group of players in Alan McCulloch, Stuart McLean, Alan Robertson, Paul Clarke, Derrick McDicken and Eddie Morrison who played together season in, season out for years.

They might not have been the best but they were very good, but part-time and could have made more money elsewhere, which they watched others do - Stewart, Armstrong, Iain McCulloch, Provan, Smith et al.

From memory Of the six players mentioned in your penultimate paragraph, only two- McDicken and possibly Clarke were ever the subject of a transfer bid from another club. The others would only have made money if somebody wanted to buy them which didn’t happen.

23 minutes ago, kilm53 said:

Fulham sack Ranieri...dont like the sound of that...SSC might be interested on a move back south :7:

To be honest I don't think Clarke will be on a Premier League teams radar. He has done well here but possibly the fact we've not done quite as well recently may dilute the hysteria. Premier League managers tend to be sought from abroad mostly! 

They were after him a few years ago and Reading refused to allow him to talk to them then they sacked him. Would almost certainly interest him. Fulham in trouble though and need an instant turnaround so could be seen as a gamble.

If they put an interim boss in charge and go down to championship then a very realistic possibility he would end up there.

Clarke to Fulham - who are pretty much already relegated - makes a lot of sense unfortunately. They've wanted him before. They will want stability after recent events.  He's already said he wants to return to that part of the world eventually. Ticks a lot of boxes from both sides I think. Exactly the kind of job I could see him leaving for. 

41 minutes ago, pmonty3 said:

Clarke to Fulham - who are pretty much already relegated - makes a lot of sense unfortunately. They've wanted him before. They will want stability after recent events.  He's already said he wants to return to that part of the world eventually. Ticks a lot of boxes from both sides I think. Exactly the kind of job I could see him leaving for. 

Their owners don’t have a clue thankfully and may try another ‘name’.  Which aljld suit us.

5 hours ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

They were after him a few years ago and Reading refused to allow him to talk to them then they sacked him.

In the interests of accuracy, Reading gave him permission to talk to Fulham which he did.

SC said he wasn't interested and returned to Reading, who sacked him two weeks later.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-transcript-reading-fcs-former-11236390

8 hours ago, skygod said:

In the interests of accuracy, Reading gave him permission to talk to Fulham which he did.

SC said he wasn't interested and returned to Reading, who sacked him two weeks later.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/full-transcript-reading-fcs-former-11236390

I stand corrected. Interesting line in that article "Clarke felt Reading missed the injured Aaron Tshibola."

He must have more about him than he has shown in the majority of his time here.

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, stumack said:

"It unfortunately became clear that I would not be able to operate as I intended and was led to believe prior to taking on the role," 

Translated as: "I intended to be a good manager and everyone told me I would be".....

But I was s**t and couldn't face the boss so I just sent him a text telling him I'm off.