Serena Williams goes Bats**t

gdevoy

10 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

What was sexist about it? 

She lost the plot and started hurling a load of abuse at the umpire because her game was falling apart. So she picked up a load of penalty points. A load of guys have hurled a lot worse than that at umpires and they just ignore them.

She said they were picking on her because she was a wummin.

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

She lost the plot and started hurling a load of abuse at the umpire because her game was falling apart. So she picked up a load of penalty points. A load of guys have hurled a lot worse than that at umpires and they just ignore them.

No, men get the same penalties.She was getting gubbed & is just a bad loser. She was more worried about not beating Margaret Courts record. 

Grigor Dimitrov loses Istanbul Open final after on-court meltdown as THIRD racket smash hands title to Diego Schwartzman

The Argentine levelled the match at one set all and Dimitrov showed his frustration early in the deciding third set by smashing his racket, for which he received a warning.

A second racket smash later in the third set earned 24-year-old Dimitrov a point penalty to hand the game to Schwartzman for a 5-0 lead.

And then, to the bemusement of the crowd, he smashed his racket for a third time to receive a game penalty, thus giving the match 6-7 (5), 7-6 (4), 6-0 to Schwartzman

And Novak

Racket destruction isn't all that uncommon among defeated (or losing) tennis players. In the mentally and physically taxing sport that is tennis, you can only blame yourself for screwing up a critical shot.

It's easy to extend that frustration to your racket — it's the closest thing on hand, after all, and the tool of your own shortcomings. As one headline from the tournament read, "Stupid racket causes Novak Djokovic to lose French Open to Stan Wawrinka, so of course it must die."

There is a self-explanatory rule of the game to discourage "racket abuse" — and even "ball abuse", which is not a 50 Shades of Grey thing. A few years ago, pro player Ryan Harrison got a warning when he tossed his racket after a lost point (his claim: the racket slipped out of his palm).

Venting comes at a price. The United States Tennis Association, which owns and runs the US Open, stipulates that a first offense results in a lost point (second and third offenses throw a game, and then the entire match).

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

Jeff Tarango was disqualified at Wimbledon, The mad Australian who keeps chucking games has been hammered in fines and bans.

shapalocov or whatever his name is got banned for scudding the umpire with a ball by accident.

Henman got disqualified from Wimbledon for accidentally hitting a ball girl.

Cilic got disqualified from the queens club final for kicking a hoarding in anger which then hit a line judge.

were they all sexist, or is it just cos she is a woman?  Massive chip on her shoulder, and if she was playing a white opponent and not a Japanese player who utterly outplayed her, she’d have played the race card too.

poor loser who ruined what should’ve been a fantastic day for her opponent.  She should be ashamed of her antics.

Edited by Beaker71

I can understand to a degree, because it is true that nobody ever gets picked up for coaching. The umpire was absolutely right to pull her up for it, the blame lies with the others who never do, meaning that when Serena was actually called on it she perceived it as unfairness.

It's like foul throws in football, you see them constantly but it's almost never pulled up.

She was struggling already and then obviously lost the plot a bit, and I don't think she can have any complaints about being deducted a game for calling the umpire a thief - it's essentially saying he's a cheat and that's going to be severely punished in any sport.

I think it was a bit "jobsworth" to pull her up for smashing her racket - who cares? - but that is the rule.

Was she treated unfairly? No.

Was she treated inconsistently? Probably, yes.

And as for the lack of sportsmanship (sportswomanship?), show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

1 hour ago, killiefan27 said:

I can understand to a degree, because it is true that nobody ever gets picked up for coaching. The umpire was absolutely right to pull her up for it, the blame lies with the others who never do, meaning that when Serena was actually called on it she perceived it as unfairness.

It's like foul throws in football, you see them constantly but it's almost never pulled up.

Players have actually been pulled up a number of times for coaching from the sidelines over the years, the vast majority of them male including Djokovic a couple of times and Nadal. 

So I don't think there was anything sexist about it. The umpires can only call it when they see it so probably players do get away with it a lot of the time. 

1 hour ago, killiefan27 said:

And as for the lack of sportsmanship (sportswomanship?), show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.

Is sportswomanship even a real word? Seems to be in my spell check anyway!

It was a display of intimidation in an attempt to get Osaka to lose the plot.

She admirably held her nerve, in the face of cynical spoiling tactics from the senior player.

As it was a final to see the winner in tears was a poor spectacle for tennis.

It's maybe too hot and noisy now the roof is on the stadium?

55 minutes ago, Scooter said:

It wasn't sexist, that's just a diversion away from her tantrum.

What is sexist is only playing 3 sets when the guys play 5!

I disagree. It was sexist IMO to hold a woman to a different moral standard in terms of "permissible verbal abuse". I totally agree it was a cynical attempt to divert attention from the fact she played crap and her 4 year old tantrums totally spoiled the occasion for the winner for whom it was a once in a life time opportunity.

Further it is also sexist to only ask the women to play 3 sets but pay them the same prize money. But that is "good sexism" so its OK. :) .

10 minutes ago, Scooter said:

Ramos has given warnings to Djokovic, Zverev, Kyrgios & Nadal in recent years.

It's the docking of the game she really took issue with and where her supporting voices in the media say it was unfair.

But I'm struggling to remember anyone having as big a meltdown, or showing as much disrespect to the umpire  in a Grand Slam final?

It was the show piece event and the umpire did follow the rules.

15 minutes ago, RAG said:

It's the docking of the game she really took issue with and where her supporting voices in the media say it was unfair.

But I'm struggling to remember anyone having as big a meltdown, or showing as much disrespect to the umpire  in a Grand Slam final?

It was the show piece event and the umpire did follow the rules.

Kyrgios & Djokovic have both had games docked in the past & I think there are quite a few others.

2 minutes ago, harley said:

Kyrgios & Djokovic have both had games docked in the past & I think there are quite a few others.

In a Grand Slam final at a crucial stage?  Absolutely not, but it was an outrageous outburst, accusing match officials  of bias, sexism and cheating repeatedly.

Is now an indoor final, it's all picked up on TV, sends a terrible example.

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

Can’t beat a load of guys explaining what is and isn’t sexism to a woman...

Whereas if you are a wummin it is very straightforward.   .....     If you don't like it its sexist, if you do like it its fine.

If men could just understand this simple principal there would not be a problem.