Stephen O'Donnell

C4mmy31

Any manager who watched the first 20 minutes of that game never mind the whole of the first half and didn't change the formation clearly doesn't have a clue. In fact he compounded the situation by brining on McKenna to give an unbelievably inexperienced back 3 none of whom play in that formation for their clubs.

The back 3 obviously wasn't working and SOD and Robertson were not making a contribution as defenders nor going forward and the midfield 3 were outnumbered - McGregor could never play in a midfield 3. 

The only time we improved was when we were down to ten man and went to a flat back 4.

Really bad selection and tactics from McLeish who is clearly way out of depth, an amateur could have done better. Only McGregor and bad finishing saved us from an absolute tanking. Could easily have been 4 or 5. He really should go, maybe my memory is not so good but I don't remember as bad a performance as that under Strachan. 

2 hours ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

In the same way folk said about Billy McNeill. I think that McLeish is no longer all there mentally, as has been speculated about for a while. His comment about the subs didn’t  do anything to help this. 

Sadly, I think you could be right. At times his speech isn't very coherent, as though he knows what he wants to say but can't find the words. The original SFA target isn't doing any better, O'Neill's team are bottom of their group although playing higher ranked teams than Scotland are.

O’Donnell wasn’t great, but he was one of the better Scottish performers in an overall dreadful performance.The midfield was woeful and the main reason why we were overrun by them in the second half. As you say, the influence from the coaching staff was hard to spot. One can’t help thinking that Steve Clarke would have sorted it at half time, assuming he had gone with that set up in the first place.p, which he probably wouldn’t.

2 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

At times his speech isn't very coherent, as though he knows what he wants to say but can't find the words.

McLeish is only 59 FFS! It would be young if he is suffering the first signs of dementia but I agree that he doesn't seem as sharp as he was comparatively few years ago.

His old mucker Miller is only 63 but comes across as much older too - a grumpy old man.

Maybe it's all the ball-heading they did.

Admirably honest assessment:

"Stephen O’Donnell, the Kilmarnock defender, believes he will learn from his recent exposure to international football.

The 26-year-old endured difficult outings against Israel and Portugal and has acknowledged his own role in both defeats.

“Personally, I was really disappointed after the Israel game and I was also disappointed at being involved in a couple of the goals lost against Portugal,” he said.

“Again, that’s the small margins which make you a top player and an international player and that’s a learning curve for myself and the team as a collective. There were some things I did well. Maybe there were times when I could have been more positive, tried to play forward and help create.

“But I’m at a level I’m trying to give the ball to players who have more in their game going forward and then make runs off them to try and help out.

“We faced a good side and there are things I need to brush up on. The second goal, especially. The first goal was a bit unfortunate, but I dropped early at the second. There was a bit of an overload at the back post.

“I’ve seen their player make a run and I’ve tried to get in there, but the delivery has been perfect and I got punished. That was my fault. We were told to drop on the last step and I hold my hands up for that one.

“Reflection is great, but it wasn’t good enough at the time. I need to make sure I’m not involved in goals. I’m a defender first and foremost.”

(Herald)

On 10/13/2018 at 12:45 AM, skygod said:

McLeish is only 59 FFS! It would be young if he is suffering the first signs of dementia but I agree that he doesn't seem as sharp as he was comparatively few years ago.

His old mucker Miller is only 63 but comes across as much older too - a grumpy old man.

Maybe it's all the ball-heading they did.

Wouldn't want to wish ill on anyone but you do indeed have to wonder. With McLeish his appearance suggests alcohol could be implicated but appearances can be deceptive.

I am amazed Miller is only 63 he sounds about 20 years older than that with the doddering rubbish he spouts and the outdated language and concepts he uses.

• 4 months later...