Disabled fan wins football seat victory - Against Killie

Wrangodog

On 10/5/2018 at 9:35 AM, Zorro said:

I’d wholeheartedly support the idea of improving the disabled facilities at Rugby Park, but feel its time the idea of disabled tickets is revisited. The idea, while well intentioned, that a disabled person is unable to work and support themselves, is outdated and condescending. I know through personal experience that not only can they work but that in most cases their income will be greater than someone unemployed or on minimum wage. I’d suggest an unemployed ticket would be more appropriate in supporting those with limited finances if they are unable to work. In this way the club could help two marginalised sections of society. 

It's quite difficult getting your wheelchair through the turnstile!

I recall a friend telling me that as an away supporter Killie looked after wheelchair supporters better than other clubs. I think it was because we had a designated area for supporters in wheelchairs which wasn't the case with other clubs. It may even be that in the case described the supporter was directed to the wheelchair area which may not have been the best location for that individual.  

Good that the club and Cathy Jamieson have been very honest that we have done wrong and will try our best to ensure better treatment for all disabled supporters in the future. Looking after such supporters will become a bigger part of our clubs in the future though many of the laws are EU laws which the current government will be happy to ditch in favour of profit. 

I don't think we know the exact details of this case which makes it difficult to fully understand what has gone on. I think the particular individuals disability is not clear however what is clear is that as a club we did not deal with it very well at all at the time hence the adverse publicity.   

6 hours ago, Ayrshire_greasemonkey said:

I’ve been to a lot of festivals where the disabled area was a raised scaffold platform about two metres high with ramps and a covering for the worst of the weather I think this would be really easy to install and very low cost and easy to maintain plus it would give a decent view of the match 

Or, you could just install a hoist at the side of the FB. Remove the last row of seats before the old enclosure, and have the chairs in there. 

Pros: Protected from the weather. Plenty room. Away from the twisted sisters, when they come to visit. (Although, I see that the 'halo' returned for the game against celtic)

Cons: You'll get a crick in your neck. You're away from the refreshment kiosk in the Moffat. You're away from the loos in the Moffat. I'll have to move seats again.