SPFA to poll members on plastic pitches?

skygod

I've got an Aussie hun on twitter about to give me a scientific report on the link between plastic pitches & acl injuries amongst female players. 

OK. So we all remember the women's football show on c4 in the 90s explaining that the most common injuries amongst female players are knee injuries, because of their hips having more movement in them. But, it will still be interesting to read regarding a spike in acl injuries since the aussies introduced plastic pitches.

I guess if you analyse anything to the nth degree you will eventually find an article to fit your argument.

For instance the addition of sodium fluoride to the drinking water in Kilmarnock in the late 50’s reduced the need extractions by 50% , but to some it was seen as a poison , which it was , and used at that time as a rat poison. The fact that the concentrations were different by 7 decimal points and the number of dental anaesthetic deaths dropped off a cliff was ignored. 

‘The argument against fluoride was that since it was in the drinking water the public didn’t have a choice . With 3G 4G pitches the public does have a choice , if you don’t want your offspring to play on it ,or an adult player doesn’t want to play on it they have a choice. Provide the information and let the people decide for themselves 

as with lots of things some opinions seem to change IF any " outsider attack", media report , aggreivance etc....affects your team...

whilst our current pitch is never as bad as its made out to be.........and is often just used as an easy excuse

sooner we change back to a modern grass surface the better ..IMO .....

22 hours ago, Northernsoul said:

There are only a few companies in Scotland who build pitches and they are always in demand as soon as the last ball is kicked in may.

Realistically we would need to be making a decision right now. Alot of planning needs to be done well in advance.

We are installing a hybrid pitch at ibrox at the end of this season and the logistics are proving to be an absolute nightmare.  

I was wondering about your expertise during these discussions but the above and your other comments about “every manager and player you meet with hate 3G” explains your knowledge of why every club should go down the hybrid route.

you say the laying of such pitches is between £1.5 to £2 million, add this to the cost of ripping up the 3G pitches and the £50k per year maintenance  cost makes it totally unaffordable for provincial Scottish clubs.

Now Wishart is being worked from behind by the OF wants them all ripped up as they are a danger, I take it he means all the training ones too, all the schools, but it’s ok because the Dutch clubs in CL are paying for it, can you imagine the Boardrooms at Celtic and Rangers baulking  at such a thought.

We need to accept that Scottish footy is in the doldrums, under financed over the years by blazers, mis treating fans for years, allowing known cheaters to just carry on, now we have jobs for the lads in the international scene, the whole Astro situation has been raised due to the Jamie Murphy injury, which has been the only one on three SPL games played on3G this season. I think it is pie in the sky that clubs will be made rip up pitches, but I don’t know how big a hold the OF actually have over SFA/SPFL.

25 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

I was wondering about your expertise during these discussions but the above and your other comments about “every manager and player you meet with hate 3G” explains your knowledge of why every club should go down the hybrid route.

you say the laying of such pitches is between £1.5 to £2 million, add this to the cost of ripping up the 3G pitches and the £50k per year maintenance  cost makes it totally unaffordable for provincial Scottish clubs.

Now Wishart is being worked from behind by the OF wants them all ripped up as they are a danger, I take it he means all the training ones too, all the schools, but it’s ok because the Dutch clubs in CL are paying for it, can you imagine the Boardrooms at Celtic and Rangers baulking  at such a thought.

We need to accept that Scottish footy is in the doldrums, under financed over the years by blazers, mis treating fans for years, allowing known cheaters to just carry on, now we have jobs for the lads in the international scene, the whole Astro situation has been raised due to the Jamie Murphy injury, which has been the only one on three SPL games played on3G this season. I think it is pie in the sky that clubs will be made rip up pitches, but I don’t know how big a hold the OF actually have over SFA/SPFL.

26 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

I can only go on what iam hearing from people from the various clubs in Scotland iam referring to. When the poll is completed we will have a clearer view of what the players think. 

The survey should be done anonymously so players of killie,  Hamilton and livi can vote without the fear of repercussions if they vote against astro.

My comments about building a hybrid pitch were purely given as an example to how much it would cost to install the best pitch possible. you can knock a million off the price straight away to have a normal sand based pitch reinstalled. 

Motherwell, dundee, stjohnstone etc all seem to be able to afford the upkeep of a grass pitch so why cant we? 

1 minute ago, Northernsoul said:

I can only go on what iam hearing from people from the various clubs in Scotland iam referring to. When the poll is completed we will have a clearer view of what the players think. 

The survey should be done anonymously so players of killie,  Hamilton and livi can vote without the fear of repercussions if they vote against astro.

My comments about building a hybrid pitch were purely given as an example to how much it would cost to install the best pitch possible. you can knock a million off the price straight away to have a normal sand based pitch reinstalled. 

Motherwell, dundee, stjohnstone etc all seem to be able to afford the upkeep of a grass pitch so why cant we? 

Are we the only ones that use the ground for more than just the 1st team? Don't Motherwell train at Ravenscraig? St Johnstone has extra facilities in the car park. Dundee makes use of the local junior grounds, no?

I hope they vote against them. Premiership clubs should not be playing on these surfaces nowadays. 

Fair enough go for Hybrid if we can but get that surface punted. I played on it at a charity game in the summer and it's genuinely one of the worst about. 
One of the boys playing that day got his foot caught on the surface and snapped his Achilles, He may well have done it on grass also but he and many others involved that day lay the blame on the surface. 

Injuries aside, it's a s**te surface to play on. 

Lets face it it really makes very little difference what the players vote for as they have very little clout . Something else the players union should think about is that IF such pitches are outlawed then there is going to be huge expense for many clubs. This may well result in some clubs having to invest in grass pitches rather than their playing squad which ultimately could cost some players their jobs.

Of course in the words of Hlaf Man Half Biscuit - "The greatest surface underfoot is springy turf"!

On 10/15/2018 at 9:50 AM, Northernsoul said:

I guess time will tell.  Probably in 30 years time we will have another asbestos situation on our hands. 

https://www.pitchcare.com/news-media/rubber-crumb-is-it-the-new-asbestos.html

You're ignoring the basic journalistic principle - if a headline ends in a question mark then the answer is no.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, Killie alan said:

Absolutely nothing was wrong with it. It was all about making money 

Short memory there, the pitch was a disgrace for seasons on end. It started with issues with undersoil heating etc but during the Shiels era it was almost unplayable at times, an absolute mudbath. The worst I remember it was a game around new year, Racchi scored a peach. The pitch had to come up one way or another, it was a complete embarrassment.

21 hours ago, Fletch said:

Short memory there, the pitch was a disgrace for seasons on end. It started with issues with undersoil heating etc but during the Shiels era it was almost unplayable at times, an absolute mudbath. The worst I remember it was a game around new year, Racchi scored a peach. The pitch had to come up one way or another, it was a complete embarrassment.

See your point but surely if we get to build it from scratch we can avoid all the problems that the stadium guys inherited and had to contend with last time? Pretty sure that Mark Gallagher would be able to keep on top of things given what he's had to contend with in the past - everyone elses crap, failures and fixes.

2 hours ago, Monty97 said:

See your point but surely if we get to build it from scratch we can avoid all the problems that the stadium guys inherited and had to contend with last time? Pretty sure that Mark Gallagher would be able to keep on top of things given what he's had to contend with in the past - everyone elses crap, failures and fixes.

At the time we were beyond skint and had a terrible grass pitch and broken/leaky heating that absolutely had to go. We tried a season or two before to reseed the pitch and it didn't come back any better than it had been prior. We could have gone the route of spending millions on a good grass pitch and various heating/draining systems that are required underneath but I dare say it would have been way out of the realms of what we could do financially at the time. The artificial pitch goes down and we've had a reliable year round surface plus we saved money on training facilities/maintenance etc. A few seasons down the road and we're in a very different position and we probably will go back to grass in the next couple of years but not because the artificial turf hasn't been good enough and not because it was dangerous (which it clearly is not) but simply because the situation off the pitch is entirely and we should have training facilities in place and we should now be able to afford it.

I really don't see what so many peoples issue is with the artificial turf. In summer a good grass pitch will play much, much better than any artificial turf but from October through to February an artificial pitch will play better than a bad grass pitch - if Hamilton and Livi can't afford a good grass pitch then they shouldn't be looked down on for bringing in the most playable all year round surface that they can. Having been on the Rugby Park artificial surface it is an excellent surface, it's not the same artificial turf you would typically play on at the Powerleague or similar. It's not as pretty as grass but that's because it's not grass, it's not about how it looks - it's about how it plays. Artificial turf in the Scottish Premiership isn't causing any issue other than traditionalist blowing their top over nothing.

Edited by Fletch

Spoke to a young boy who plays for QoS youths. He likes the artificial pitches because they give a true even surface to play on. That is what he is used too .Time does not stand still for anybody and change of ideas and perceptions also change just because my generation like grass it does not mean the youths are unhappy playing on the artificial surface.