Baby Chaos

theboyjohnston

Never a band I've followed too closely, but surprised there's never been any chat on here about them given they come from Stewarton.

I think some of the line-up were in a band called The Thin Men and I got a hold of a demo tape from the sister of one of the band members - which I always thought was decent.

Couple of years later I was at a Battle of The Bands gig at the Barrowlands (94ish?) promoted by Radio One and the headline act was Baby Chaos - getting the full Steve Lamaq treatment. Think they had some short lived success at the time but looking at their Wiki it's been a patchy career - good reviews but label issues maybe stifled their progress. Seem to have new stuff on the go now.

Others on the playlist at the Barras I can remember Travis (about 5th on the bill) and a performance from Blisters who looked like a school band, but I've since learned contained Alex Kapranos. 

• 4 weeks later...

I worked with the bass player Boaby Dunn when he was a lowly engineer at Rowallan Creamery. He left about 93 when they got a record deal.

From what I remember they were on that STV music show, that Bryan Burnett hosted, with a song called Sperm and camped it up a bit for the video.

Think they toured as support for Jesus Jones for a while and got into the states through that deal.  

After a while I believe the line up changed and so did the name ... until the recent comeback as Baby Chaos.

I knew Grant McFarlane and Chris Gordon growing up in Stewarton.  Grant’s family lived round the corner and I was good friends with his wee brother. They owned, in fact still do, Allans the Butchers.

Chris Gordon’s dad owned and operated Gordons sports shop where I got my first pair of Samba.

Useless facts for the day.

Edited by Merk

On 11/7/2018 at 8:43 PM, Merk said:

I knew Grant McFarlane and Chris Gordon growing up in Stewarton.  Grant’s family lived round the corner and I was good friends with his wee brother. They owned, in fact still do, Allans the Butchers.

Chris Gordon’s dad owned and operated Gordons sports shop where I got my first pair of Samba.

Gordons sports shop. I just expect to drive through Stewarton and see that, Hewitt's Barbers, Piolis chippy and Azad video all still there :D

On 11/7/2018 at 8:43 PM, Merk said:

The girl I worked with, and who I got a copy of the demo tape from, must have been Grant's sister? I'm sure her family ran the butchers.

They used to practice in Shabby Road when my family had a wee roll shop where gardiners used to be. Davy Greenwood, their first drummer got me on the guest list when they supported Shed Seven at King Tuts and then i saw them at the ballroom when they supported terrorvision and the wildhearts. Bloody brilliant night. 

2 hours ago, stumack said:

They used to practice in Shabby Road when my family had a wee roll shop where gardiners used to be. Davy Greenwood, their first drummer got me on the guest list when they supported Shed Seven at King Tuts and then i saw them at the ballroom when they supported terrorvision and the wildhearts. Bloody brilliant night. 

That's three great bands to support.