Clarke scout of Scotland U21s v England U21s

Craigieboy

None of the England players, that's for sure! Totally a class apart. 

Maybe not surprising given their pedigree that their skills and tactical ability were far superior, but the difference in physique and fitness was astonishing.

The difference seems to be increasing rather than reducing.

Is this a problem because we don't have enough black people in our country or is it just that England has so many more people that their footballers chosen to play at all age groups are physically bigger as well as more skilful ?  Teams of smaller stature can beat bigger teams but Scotland's footballers at most levels don't have the skill necessary to negate the height/strength gap. Despite the scoreline this was a hammering, it could have been six or seven if England had taken half of their chances.

I also don't understand what Scott Gemmill was trying to achieve, he could be seen shouting and bawling at every single pass and tackle like a madman. If the team doesn't follow your instructions from the start, or from the restart, going ballistic on the touchline isn't going to produce results.

Edited by Wrangodog

Got to agree with these posts. I was at the game and the difference in technical ability, atheticism and movement all over the pitch was alarming. Made some of the Scotland lads look like trees. England certainly could have scored a barrowload with Scotland’s first shot on target coming 5 minutes from the end.

Puts paid to the Scots media portrayal of Scotland having small technical players. England had stronger and bigger players, who were far more technical, and who could control the ball out of the air with all parts of their body.

Malky Mackay was last week able to put out propaganda, unchallenged by the Scots media, about the great progress our youngsters have made in Europe.

U21s finish 4th out of 6 in their group, with only Latvia and Andorra beneath them, both of whom failed to win a game.

Both U19s and U17s were knocked out in the last 32 group stage of Euros. Many so called smaller nations comfortably made at least the last 16.

One thing is certain we can’t really get any worse, can we?

Edited by TroonKFC
Typo

45 minutes ago, TroonKFC said:

Got to agree with these posts. I was at the game and the difference in technical ability, atheticism and movement all over the pitch was alarming. Made some of the Scotland lads look like trees. England certainly could have scored a barrowload with Scotland’s first shot on target coming 5 minutes from the end.

Puts paid to the Scots media portrayal of Scotland having small technical players. England had stronger and bigger players, who were far more technical, and who could control the ball out of the air with all parts of their body.

Malky Mackay was last week able to put out propaganda, unchallenged by the Scots media, about the great progress our youngsters have made in Europe.

U21s finish 4th out of 6 in their group, with only Latvia and Andorra beneath them, both of whom failed to win a game.

Both U19s and U17s were knocked out in the last 32 group stage of Euros. Many so called smaller nations comfortably made at least the last 16.

One thing is certain we can’t really get any worse, can we?

If people like MacKay don't realise we have a problem, we might not get any worse but we won't improve either.

Agree with posts. However did this 21 team not win the charity shield v England a few years ago. We are going backwards as England as going forward can only be coaches.

As for our mentality. Radio Clyde last night sang the praises of mckenna and soutar saying they were beasts. FFS is that what we want. Technical for me all day long. But with our mentality I can never see it. As someone said gemmel going mental on sidelines. We are going backwards. At every level. 

Scotland is a nation of midgets with a lazy attitude and a loser mentality and that is not just the football I am talking about :-)

The fact that our football is administered by complete doughballs and corrupt w****rs from top to bottom doesn't help us get the longer term stuff right that might make a difference over the 20-30 year timeframe.

It's easy to say that the English lads nowadays typically come from a much more diverse ethnic background but having genetically better physique / athleticism doesn't guarantee you better technique - so you can only conclude that the "best" in England are being coached much better at all levels. Also I am sure a lot of these boys are shunning the booze in a way that has generally yet to catch on up here.

45 minutes ago, Joe said:

However did this 21 team not win the charity shield v England a few years ago.

I think you mean the Victory Shield.

After a wait of 15 years, Scotland won the Shield in 2013  by beating England 1-0.

Not much similarity in the teams. I assume the Higgins of Celtic is our Dan.

Scotland: Robbie McCrorie (Rangers), Ross McCrorie ( Rangers), Jones (Hearts), Higgins (Celtic), Harvie (Aberdeen), McKirdy (Hearts), Archibald (Hearts), Hill (Celtic) (Ross (Aberdeen) 75), Miller (Celtic) (Norris (Aberdeen) 65, Heaney (Newcastle United), Coote (Dundee United) (Stirling (Hibs) 80).

Subs not used: Doohan (Celtic), Lyon (Rangers), Murray (Celtic), O’Hara (Forth Valley).

England: Whiteman (Tottenham Hotspur) (King 70), Yates (Everton), Ndukwu (Leicester), Davies (Everton), Humphreys (Man City), Colllinge (MK Dons), Willock (Arsenal) (Hinds (Arsenal) 41), Kane (Liverpool) (Maddox (Chelsea) 65), Leko (West Brom) (Cull (Southampton) 65), Nabay (Fulham), Nmecha (Man City) (Hepburn-Murphy (Aston Villa) 41).

Subs not used: Oxford (West Ham), Patching (Man City).

45 minutes ago, skygod said:

After a wait of 15 years, Scotland won the Shield in 2013  by beating England 1-0.

Scotland: Robbie McCrorie (Rangers), Ross McCrorie ( Rangers), Jones (Hearts), Higgins (Celtic), Harvie (Aberdeen), McKirdy (Hearts), Archibald (Hearts), Hill (Celtic) (Ross (Aberdeen) 75), Miller (Celtic) (Norris (Aberdeen) 65, Heaney (Newcastle United), Coote (Dundee United) (Stirling (Hibs) 80).

Subs not used: Doohan (Celtic), Lyon (Rangers), Murray (Celtic), O’Hara (Forth Valley).

England: Whiteman (Tottenham Hotspur) (King 70), Yates (Everton), Ndukwu (Leicester), Davies (Everton), Humphreys (Man City), Colllinge (MK Dons), Willock (Arsenal) (Hinds (Arsenal) 41), Kane (Liverpool) (Maddox (Chelsea) 65), Leko (West Brom) (Cull (Southampton) 65), Nabay (Fulham), Nmecha (Man City) (Hepburn-Murphy (Aston Villa) 41).

5 years ago and I recognise mibby 5 names at most. What happens to these "internationalists"

1 hour ago, Crocket said:

5 years ago and I recognise mibby 5 names at most. What happens to these "internationalists"

The same thing that happens with most talented young footballers in Scotland. Their less talented pals all start drinking, pumping birds and going out all the time and said young footballer ends up doing more and more of it too. Then before they know it they've went from a top-flight academy to fitting boilers for the council and playing for their local junior side.

The McCrories are still at Rangers.
Leon Jones is unattached, having been released by Hearts in 2017
Dan Higgins is on loan from Killie at Stranraer
Daniel Harvie is at Ayr
Sean McKirdy is with Gala Fairydean
Theo Archibald is at Forest Green Rovers, on loan from Brentford
Mark Hill is at Forfar, on loan from Celtic
Frank Ross is still with Aberdeen
Calvin Miller is on loan from Celtic to Dundee
Aaron Norris is at Formartine Utd, on loan from Peterhead
MacKenzie Heaney was released by Newcastle last summer and is without a club
Ali Coote is also with Brentford
Ben Stirling is still at Hibs
Ross Doohan is on loan from Celtic at Ayr
Ross Lyon plays for Clyde
Innes Murray is at Hibs
Kevin O'Hara is on loan at Stenhousemuir from Falkirk

1 minute ago, skygod said:

The McCrories are still at Rangers.
Leon Jones is unattached, having been released by Hearts in 2017
Dan Higgins is on loan from Killie at Stranraer
Daniel Harvie is at Ayr
Sean McKirdy is with Gala Fairydean
Theo Archibald is at Forest Green Rovers, on loan from Brentford
Mark Hill is at Forfar, on loan from Celtic
Frank Ross is still with Aberdeen
Calvin Miller is on loan from Celtic to Dundee
Aaron Norris is at Formartine Utd, on loan from Peterhead
MacKenzie Heaney was released by Newcastle last summer and is without a club
Ali Coote is also with Brentford
Ben Stirling is still at Hibs
Ross Doohan is on loan from Celtic at Ayr
Ross Lyon plays for Clyde
Innes Murray is at Hibs
Kevin O'Hara is on loan at Stenhousemuir from Falkirk

Now that's thorough...

Only two names I recognise straight away from the England team. 

I’m presuming the Davies of Everton is Tom Davies. According to Wiki he’s got 62 appearances for Everton’s first team and capped for England right through to U21.

Unused sub Reece Oxford of West Ham. He’s got a handful of appearances for West Ham and also made a few for clubs on loan in England and Germany. 

None of the others really stand out. 

22 hours ago, skygod said:

Yes. Apologies victory shield. 

23 hours ago, Crocket said:

For what its worth, most of them are still playing for clubs in Scotland at decent enough levels.

It will always be the case that youth internationals fall away. It's the same in every country, not just Scotland.