Wales

piffer

Is it wrong to be a bit jealous of them now. Missing their two best players they’ve just beaten Ireland. A young energetic team playing decent football with a bit of experience added for good measure. Certainly seems to be some good prospects in there.

Giggs was a risky appointment but he’s been willing to risk his career by going down this route and overhauling the whole setup. 

I think they benefit from the location of the country, any young kids showing real promise end up at either Manchester, or Liverpool clubs if they are in the north, the ones from south can go to either Welsh club or London teams , they certainly get taught the right ways on very good surfaces, fair play to them, always liked the Welsh .

the location of the country 

On 10/16/2018 at 10:05 PM, killie billies pal said:

I think they benefit from the location of the country, any young kids showing real promise end up at either Manchester, or Liverpool clubs if they are in the north, the ones from south can go to either Welsh club or London teams , they certainly get taught the right ways on very good surfaces, fair play to them, always liked the Welsh .

By location I assume you mean next to England. So why don’t we benefit in the same way? Any players deemed good enough are often on the radar of clubs in England (Gilmour/Feruz) but the truth is there’s not many of them. 

I meant the Southern areas of England, i am including the Liverpool and Manchester areas as they don't look up here anymore, they wait for a Scottish club to pick them up then "steal them".

I think we have also suffered for not having a Bale or Ramsey for our kids to look up to, I think there are decent Scottish kids, but they get rich too quick in OF world and lose the desire to really make it, Feruz being a perfect example. I know of a few lads who were scouted by Killie, Ayr, St Mirren, then the OF come sniffing and the parents automatically think that going there is for the best, sadly for the kids they should have stayed provincial.

Then there is the weather, and conditions, heading to Centre Parts in Penrith area, I noticed a school on outskirts has six full size pitches, every one of them in immaculate condition, so think how good the ones further south are. The pitches our kids play on are a disgrace, and the rest have taken away the goalposts.

43 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

Then there is the weather, and conditions, heading to Centre Parts in Penrith area, I noticed a school on outskirts has six full size pitches, every one of them in immaculate condition, so think how good the ones further south are. The pitches our kids play on are a disgrace, and the rest have taken away the goalposts.

The pitches and facilities at Prestwick Academy are much better/equal to any secondary school I've seen down here. Fair enough it got rebuilt after I left, but so have many of the schools down here. I don't think that's necessarily an issue now, maybe in the past; none of the guys I work with now have a clue what a blaes pitch is. 

You only have to look at the OF players - Celtic especially - in the 2013 Victory Shield team to see that most kids don't make it with the OF. 

Celtic have become so efficient at youth level that they produce many more players than they could ever need. 

Most of these kids are picked up by clubs at a decent level while, on the other hand, Rangers seem unble to produce players for themselves or other clubs. 

I don't think any of the comments have mentioned the main reason why we are failing to produce many good players and that is we have poor coaches producing technically inferior players. Just look at the results at all age groups in the male national teams. They have terrible for years now with no sign of improvement.