Lennon

skygod

11 hours ago, Caldow said:

He may have a point but you feel sorry for that cowardly c**t?

Yes. He shouldn't be getting pelter for having an opinion that may or may not be valid. 

Also because he had the backbone to say what other pundits would arguably be thinking.

"cowardly c**t"......what's that all about?

11 hours ago, RAG said:

He got death threats when playing for Northern Ireland too.  There's the general abuse he gets for being the panto baddy, then the more sinister sectarian stuff cos of his alleged family background, that's followed his playing career in NI and Scotland.  Lennon was eligible for the Republic, but chose to play for NI, where it all kicked off basically.

I alluded to his NI experience but it’s not that relevant to what he claims has happened to him in Scotland. 

I was also thinking of the controversies he has had since he stopped playing. 

7 minutes ago, Candygram for mongo said:

Yes. He shouldn't be getting pelter for having an opinion that may or may not be valid. 

Also because he had the backbone to say what other pundits would arguably be thinking.

"cowardly c**t"......what's that all about?

Does Gary Caldwell's assault on David Fernandez ring a bell ?

On 11/2/2018 at 12:24 AM, Wrangodog said:

Take all the tribal rivalries away and what is Scottish Football ? One domestically dominant team that can just about beat the lowliest sides in Europe and a bunch of poverty-stricken teams that rely on free transfers and loan deals to supplement a failing youth system. No wonder the media, SFA, SPFL, all ignore the sectarian problem until something like last night happens. It's a convenient smokescreen disguised as rivalry so that we don't look too closely at the state of our domestic game and demand real change from the authorities that have failed us at club and international level.

Fxxxxxg well said

17 hours ago, skygod said:

More interesting is Scotland. There have been other Northern Irish Catholics who have played for Celtic surely? In recent-ish times, Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn, Anton Rogan....maybe not as many as I thought.

Did they get as much hassle as Lennon? Definitely not. The only player I can think of who compared with Lennon in terms of abuse was Boruc, who wasn't averse to winding up the Rangers fans.

McGinn and McCourt were also sent bullets in the post, just like Lennon.

I don't think the kicking he got on Byres Road was down to arguing with a referee. I don't think the effigy outside Tynecastle and the 'Hang Neil Lennon' graffiti were because he 'was lippy, dirty and had a fat arse'. Nor was the assault at Tynecastle when he was Celtic manager.

He shouldn't need to but, for his own good, he would be better off managing in England, although he wasn't much good at Bolton!

If he doesn't like it he should get out of the country? How very Trump of you.

Lennon's only real crime here is that he refuses, metaphorically speaking, to sit at the back of the bus.

2 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

McGinn and McCourt were also sent bullets in the post, just like Lennon.

I don't think the kicking he got on Byres Road was down to arguing with a referee. I don't think the effigy outside Tynecastle and the 'Hang Neil Lennon' graffiti were because he 'was lippy, dirty and had a fat arse'. Nor was the assault at Tynecastle when he was Celtic manager.

Perhaps, but I don't think McGinn and McCourt were/are on the receiving end of as much or as prolonged abuse as Lennon. Agreed?

My post was an attempt to think out in writing why Lennon is the lightning rod he has been over, as he says, 18 years.

If the abuse at RP wasn't attributable to his style of play and behaviour on the field, what do you put it down to? Racist/ sectarian abuse by our supporters?

2 hours ago, Scooby_Doo said:

If he doesn't like it he should get out of the country? How very Trump of you.

How very clever of you to twist my words! I clearly said he shouldn't need to leave Scotland, ie the problem lies with others. 

I have got every sympathy for Lennon and anyone else who suffers discrimination on the grounds of their religion or nationality. It's a scourge in Scotland and little seems to have been done to eradicate it over the decades.   

For someone who claims to have suffered abuse for 18 years, I'm just surprised he hasn't washed his hands of the whole sorry business sooner.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Perhaps, but I don't think McGinn and McCourt were/are on the receiving end of as much or as prolonged abuse as Lennon. Agreed?

They haven't been around for as long as Lennon, and nowhere near as successful, so they aren't really good comparisons.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

For someone who claims to have suffered abuse for 18 years, I'm just surprised he hasn't washed his hands of the whole sorry business sooner.

It's always about perspective, but that should be a plus point for him. A lot of the worlds hero's stuck to their guns and made the world a better place.

Like him or loathe him, Lennon is onto something when he questions the difference between sectarianism and racism and Scotland would be better country if it took this on board.

I like Lennon, find it funny when he "loses it" like last season at Rugby Park, I believe that he is good company at golf days , charity days etc . But I do wish he had not cast the "racism" tag at the whole of Scotland based upon the actions of very few. 

Will he last in this country?, no I don't think he will, he has family to think of and sadly he is seen as an easy target to a very small minority by being so upfront, but lets not look much further than our esteemed Press who love it when this happens.

Will he be missed if/when he goes? God yes, he is a character, he is a good coach and overall I think he is good for Scottish football, it seriously pisses me off that one or two twats can be allowed to cause the country's number one sport so much trouble.

One more thing, UEFA do not like Tynecastle because the players are far too close to the crowd, I would say that Hearts "punishment" for last weeks disgrace is that the first three rows of each stand be closed off and covered, only the step areas open with a steward positioned at each one.

Hearts and Hibs have a long standing record of having a larger than most section of arses following them, even I have experienced much more abuse and missiles thrown at me in their grounds or nearby than NL ever will.

1 hour ago, Bobby14 said:

This is obviously another debate, but do you disagree with alcohol at football in Scotland? 

Yes, I do. I think the authorities are mistaken if they think that alcohol won’t have an impact on the level of disorder at matches. 

I also think that it could reduce the number of families / kids who attend matches. 

I’m not sure if there is a real clamour for it anyway. Fans can drink before and after matches - are they really so keen to drink during games? Do fans they think they will enjoy going to the game much more if they can drink during it? When I’m at a game I don’t think to myself I’d be enjoying the experience a lot more if I was able to have a drink. I go to the pub to have a drink, I go to football grounds to watch football. 

Edited by historyman

39 minutes ago, historyman said:

Yes, I do. I think the authorities are mistaken if they think that alcohol won’t have an impact on the level of disorder at matches. 

I also think that it could reduce the number of families / kids who attend matches. 

I’m not sure if there is a real clamour for it anyway. Fans can drink before and after matches - are they really so keen to drink during games? Do fans they think they will enjoy going to the game much more if they can drink during it? When I’m at a game I don’t think to myself I’d be enjoying the experience a lot more if I was able to have a drink. I go to the pub to have a drink, I go to football grounds to watch football. 

Alcohol at football in Scotland no thank you if you cant go without a drink for 90 mins i think you have a problem

1 hour ago, Bobby14 said:

This is obviously another debate, but do you disagree with alcohol at football in Scotland? 

i do. 

The only people clamouring for it seem to be some knobheads at the SFA/ SPFL and some OF supporting groups.

They should be forced to look at the 1980 Cup Final and a few other prize games from more recent years involving those two teams to see why it is not only a bad idea, but a dangerous one that threatens the lives of supporters, players, officials and members of the public. 

I understand the opposition to it. I also agree with @skygod that it would be overpriced and poor quality. 

I don’t agree “if you can’t go without a drink for 90mins then you have a problem”. I think that’s a very general way of looking at it. I eat before and after the game, but I like a pie at half time xD I think it would improve the experience for a lot of people. 

Shame the football population can’t be trusted with drink, when at every other sporting event manages fine. 

Few points to mention here

I've sat in the stands at Rugby Park and listened to Lennon being called EVERYTHING for the duration of the game, and yes even bigoted or sectarian comments have come from our own support - i'm in no doubt he gets this at the majority of grounds he visits in Scotland, yes there is an argument he 'goaded' the crowd but seriously ..people are content to shout dogs abuse at the guy for the duration of the game yet there's outrage when he cups his ears or whatever, i say good on him if folk can give it out they should expect to take it without getting outraged and launching missiles. To me he's a good old pantomime villain, remember the preseason v Forest where his first touch was greeted with the usual chorus of boos and he stopped and waved to the crowd (i even think he got a laugh and a wee ripple of applause) that's how it should be - banter, the idiots who take it over the line are to blame.

I also think Gary Caldwell made a poor comment, no mention of the bullets in the mail etc (it's easy to say rise above it when he's never experienced that)

Finally though, I think he didn't do himself any favours by dropping to the ground as if he'd been shot (Same could be said for Hearts keeper though). Can you imagine if someone had done that in the Hibs box to win a penalty or get a guy sent off...he'd have been outraged and it just looked stupid 

10 hours ago, david mcbeth said:

i do. 

The only people clamouring for it seem to be some knobheads at the SFA/ SPFL and some OF supporting groups.

They should be forced to look at the 1980 Cup Final and a few other prize games from more recent years involving those two teams to see why it is not only a bad idea, but a dangerous one that threatens the lives of supporters, players, officials and members of the public. 

aye threatens the lives of supporters, are you taking the p? it works fine in england, is there something genetically different about people in scotland that means they cant have a couple of pints without killing people?

the police have the power to stop it for problem games.

54 minutes ago, Bhamkillieken said:

it works fine in england, is there something genetically different about people in scotland that means they cant have a couple of pints without killing people?

People in Scotland don’t ‘have a couple of pints’. People in Scotland get paralytic.

Has social drinking worked in Scotland ? The figures suggest we have a bigger problem than the rest of the UK. Against that fans will drink before the game, regardless. Facilities would need to be improved though, I don't see any attraction in standing in an open area behind the East stand in the winter.

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

Has social drinking worked in Scotland ? The figures suggest we have a bigger problem than the rest of the UK. Against that fans will drink before the game, regardless. Facilities would need to be improved though, I don't see any attraction in standing in an open area behind the East stand in the winter.

when i go to watch the villa down here we get to the ground early, have a couple of beers in the ground. there is a bookies there so we can have a bet, grab some food and watch the end of the early game and the team news before kick off. all quite enjoyable rather being in some boozer where there is no room (granted bigger crowds here). Nip down at half time for a beer. All very social and does not cause any bother. saves a last minute rush to the ground.

facilities are better, but if the club are going to charge £6 a beer they can invest a bit.

i just wonder who these people are who are going to turn in to murders just cause they can drinks some beer at the football.