Sheep match, Fred

lonewolfie

In no particular order Gordon, Bain, McGregor, Foderingham, Lewis, Kelly, Carson, Bogdan, Marciano, Zlmal and Clark are all better keepers than MacDonald. You could probably put forward an argument that Cerny, Fox and Woods are better on their day too.

edited to add Zlmal for @skydog  

@bKb keeps clutching at this “oh look. Another keeper has made a mistake” straw, buts that’s all it is. A straw. Keepers make mistakes it’s part and parcel of playing in the position they play. Making the same mistake repeatedly is a fundamental flaw. MacDonald has too many flaws in his game for us to challenge at the level we’re after. 

Edited by Zorro
Skydog was worried that I’d ranked MacDonald too highly

48 minutes ago, Zorro said:

In no particular order Gordon, Bain, McGregor, Foderingham, Lewis, Kelly, Carson, Bogdan, Marciano and Clark are all better keepers than MacDonald. You could probably put forward an argument that Cerny, Fox and Woods are better on their day too. 

@bKb keeps clutching at this “oh look. Another keeper has made a mistake” straw, buts that’s all it is. A straw. Keepers make mistakes it’s part and parcel of playing in the position they play. Making the same mistake repeatedly is a fundamental flaw. MacDonald has too many flaws in his game for us to challenge at the level we’re after. 

Commendable that you manage to watch 90 minutes of each of their respective club sides and their reserve squads to make that judgement. Well done!

As for the "ones you could probably put forward an argument for", just shows how little you actually know about goalkeeping. 

18 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

Commendable that you manage to watch 90 minutes of each of their respective club sides and their reserve squads to make that judgement. Well done!

As for the "ones you could probably put forward an argument for", just shows how little you actually know about goalkeeping. 

Commendable? Hardly. It does hint at how little football you must watch if you think seeing ten games is an achievement. And on that note, I’ll take your views on football with a pinch of salt. 

14 minutes ago, skygod said:

We shouldn't have any problem scoring against the 14th (at best) keeper in Scotland on Saturday! 

I didn’t add Zlmal because I’ve not seen him play beyond the highlights. However, I agree with your premise that in those he’s a better keeper than MacDonald. My only quibble would be that I didn’t order the goalkeepers by ability so to suggest he’s fourteenth at best is misleading. 

Just for @Bullitt peace of mind, how many of these keepers have you seen in the flesh?

Just now, Zorro said:

I didn’t add Zlmal because I’ve not seen him play beyond the highlights. However, I agree with your premise that in those he’s a better keeper than MacDonald. My only quibble would be that I didn’t order the goalkeepers by ability so to suggest he’s fourteenth at best is misleading. 

Just for @Bullitt peace of mind, how many of these keepers have you seen in the flesh?

I've seen most, if not all in the flesh when they play against Killie or if Accies are playing Rangers as an example on TV.

Watching highlights on the BBC website for 3 minutes doesn't show nearly enough to make sweeping statements like McDonald is not in the top ten keepers in SPFL. 

You're gripe ranges from his kicking to his ability to command his box... again something you don't see on highlights normally unless it results in a goal... and ironically something that is directed to Craig Gordon who is diabolical at both.

13 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

I've seen most, if not all in the flesh when they play against Killie or if Accies are playing Rangers as an example on TV.

Watching highlights on the BBC website for 3 minutes doesn't show nearly enough to make sweeping statements like McDonald is not in the top ten keepers in SPFL. 

You're gripe ranges from his kicking to his ability to command his box... again something you don't see on highlights normally unless it results in a goal... and ironically something that is directed to Craig Gordon who is diabolical at both.

Lol. Thinks Craig Gordon is at a bigger club and a Scotland regular because he’s worse than MacDonald. You should give up mate you’re having a mare. Loyalty is a fine quality but when it blinds you to a persons faults it’s gone too far  

The only person on the list I haven’t seen play 90 minutes this year is Cerny. I think having seen him play numerous times in the last few years I’m entitled to give a view on his ability. You keep raving about MacDonald based on sportscene though. 

Edited by Zorro

18 minutes ago, Zorro said:

Lol. Thinks Craig Gordon is at a bigger club and a Scotland regular because he’s worse than MacDonald. You should give up mate you’re having a mare. Loyalty is a fine quality but when it blinds you to a persons faults it’s gone too far  

The only person on the list I haven’t seen play 90 minutes this year is Cerny. I think having seen him play numerous times in the last few years I’m entitled to give a view on his ability. You keep raving about MacDonald based on sportscene though. 

I never once said McDonald was better than Gordon. I used your two sticking points with McDonald and equated it to the champions of Scotland's keeper to draw a comparison.

You missed this point. You came off your line, flapped at it and knocked it into your own net.

You're the one having a mare here making blanket statements without any basis to back them up.

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

In no particular order Gordon, Bain, McGregor, Foderingham, Lewis, Kelly, Carson, Bogdan, Marciano, Zlmal and Clark are all better keepers than MacDonald. You could probably put forward an argument that Cerny, Fox and Woods are better on their day too.

You are talking utter, utter pish if you even try and argue that Scott Fox is better than Jamie. Fox is f**king awful and so is Adam Bogdan.

57 minutes ago, Bullitt said:

I never once said McDonald was better than Gordon. I used your two sticking points with McDonald and equated it to the champions of Scotland's keeper to draw a comparison.

You missed this point. You came off your line, flapped at it and knocked it into your own net.

You're the one having a mare here making blanket statements without any basis to back them up.

You have no point. Gordon is far more commanding than MacDonald and he also has far greater variety in his distribution. Then there’s the simple matter that he doesn’t let every cross from a freekick trundle past him. Stick to photoshop me old mucker. 

Ps  I have more than two sticking points when it comes to MacDonald’s ability as a keeper.

46 minutes ago, Killieboykfc said:

You are talking utter, utter pish if you even try and argue that Scott Fox is better than Jamie. Fox is f**king awful and so is Adam Bogdan.

Yay! We have the 13th best keeper according to @Killieboykfc. Not too shabby for a club with ambitions on 4th place. And not correct either. Bogdan is far better than MacDonald. 

Edited by Zorro

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

You have no point. Gordon is far more commanding than MacDonald and he also has far greater variety in his distribution. Then there’s the simple matter that he doesn’t let every cross from a freekick trundle past him. Stick to photoshop me old mucker. 

Ps  I have more than two sticking points when it comes to MacDonald’s ability as a keeper.

Yay! We have the 13th best keeper according to @Killieboykfc. Not too shabby for a club with ambitions on 4th place. And not correct either. Bogdan is far better than MacDonald. 

I never said anything about Jamie being 13th best keeper, so don't put words in my mouth please.

Edited by baz
No need for the profanities.

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

Kelly, Carson, Bogdan, Marciano, Zlmal and Clark are all better keepers than MacDonald. You could probably put forward an argument that Cerny, Fox and Woods are better on their day too.

edited to add Zlmal.

So that’s every keeper covered then.

Half of these are total bomb scares.

9 hours ago, Zorro said:

Bbk old fruit!

5 hours ago, Zorro said:

And yet any of them would improve us. 

Btw I know Norfolk isn’t exactly local, but I’d still expect you to know there’s more than fourteen keepers in Scotland. 

No they wouldn’t. He’s far more reliable than most of them and a terrific shot stopper. He’s not at the level of Marshall or Combe but he’s perfectly decent. 

I don’t live in Norfolk anymore; I go most weeks, home and away.

10 minutes ago, Bbk said:

The burning question is where does Bachmann ( who is being touted for a start on Saturday against hearts by some of us ) feature on this list of top tenners?

Depends if your glass is half full or half empty. He could be the guy who gets better the less he plays or the guy who gets worse every time he misses out. 

I doubt anyone on here could give an opinion of him other than off the back of 90minutes against Sevco in the cup. 

13 hours ago, NorfolkG said:

No they wouldn’t. He’s far more reliable than most of them and a terrific shot stopper. He’s not at the level of Marshall or Combe but he’s perfectly decent. 

I don’t live in Norfolk anymore; I go most weeks, home and away.

He’s really not. Shot stopping used to be the strongest part of him game, something I’ve often commended him for. However, in recent times even that’s been a bit dodgy. If we’ve serious ambitions of being a top four side, we can’t afford to carry a keeper who lets in every shot on target. Especially when one of them is on his side of the wall at a freekick. 

Edited by Zorro