US Midterms Predictions/Chat

Sandman396

7 hours ago, Sandman396 said:

I am predicting that the Democrats will squeak a majority in the House but fall short of taking the Senate (it is just too big a hill to climb this time around).

I think this will be the outcome too. The Senate seats are too gerrymandered, it would take a miracle for the Dems to take it. I expect them to take the House, but it will be tighter than it should be.

9 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I don't think the folks in the UK generally "get" the Trump appeal.  

I saw a clip on the news of a tailgate party before one of the NFL games. The British reporter was asking about Trump doing this and Trump doing that. Most of the people weren’t bothered or interested in that. They were hitting back with positive stuff he had done which directly affected them. I got the impression many don’t care about a lot of his antics as long as they are getting a wage in the bank and putting food on the table. 

Most of that stuff doesn’t get reported here. What we usually get is the negatives from his little outbursts. 

20 hours ago, Sandman396 said:

I am predicting that the Democrats will squeak a majority in the House but fall short of taking the Senate (it is just too big a hill to climb this time around).

More or less. They've taken the House, but the republicans have strengthened in the Senate.

On 11/6/2018 at 9:24 AM, Sandman396 said:

So, same as most pollsters and commentators were predicting... not exactly Nosferatu-esque proportions that one!

Maybe if you'd given us something more specific, like what big beasts were gonna get their sandwiches handed to them in a road map or if we we're gonna see the first black female governor, you'd have given us something to work with.

People in the UK always make the mistake of thinking there is a cultural closeness between the UK and the US because we both speak the same language. So we just cant understand their affection for a loud-mouthed narcissist who is a successful businessman but has no class at all.

In fact the people of the US are culturally very different to the people here. Many folks there have no problem with gun ownership, the death penalty and indeed people simply dying because they cannot find work or pay for medical help. But many of them do have a big problem with abortion.  

In fact we are much closer to the people of Europe than the US as we may be painfully about to find out post Brexit.

3 hours ago, gdevoy said:

In fact we are much closer to the people of Europe than the US as we may be painfully about to find out post Brexit.

Britain has also invaded more than 90% of countries on the face of the Earth!

Only 22 countries out of the 200 odd in the world, haven't been invaded at some point in history by Britain.

Most people probably don't know that in the UK.  You can be damned sure in 90% of the world it's common knowledge.

I didn't even know about the 90% figure, till it came up randomly on a youtube video.map-where-brits-never-invaded.jpg

article-2227705-15D98874000005DC-539_306