Jamie Mac - Scotland Call up

Squirrelhumper

4 hours ago, Zorro said:

I agree as a team we’ve made remarkable progress, and as @Souleycouley93 points out there are others who should feel unlucky at not being included, but if you’re suggesting MacDonald’s form deserves recognition, then I’m the only one doing it objectively. 

He was poor last seasons and has got worse this year. The only thing this demonstrates is McCleish is clueless and if you don’t like my opinions, don’t read them. 

Oh look their all out of step except oor Jock!!

5 hours ago, Zorro said:

I agree as a team we’ve made remarkable progress, and as @Souleycouley93 points out there are others who should feel unlucky at not being included, but if you’re suggesting MacDonald’s form deserves recognition, then I’m the only one doing it objectively. 

He was poor last seasons and has got worse this year. The only thing this demonstrates is McCleish is clueless and if you don’t like my opinions, don’t read them. 

Alex McLeish is clueless? 

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see what happens if he isn't selected on Saturday and subsequently.

He'll be full of himself having been away with Scotland and it might take all of SC's motivational powers to keep him onside. It's unlikely that he would sit on hands for long as he did when Woodman was in situ.

On the other hand, where would he go if he wanted a transfer? If he needs to stay within commuting distance of Edinburgh, options would be limited. The Dundee clubs maybe.

Kelly's doing well at Livi but Holt might want more experience on the books. Fasan has had a torrid time at Falkirk but they look to be on their way down, if anything, and playing outside the Premiership isn't going to keep him in Scotland contention.

Edited by skygod

19 minutes ago, skygod said:

He'll be full of himself having been away with Scotland and it might take all of SC's motivational powers to keep him onside. It's unlikely that he would sit on hands for long as he did when Woodman was in situ.

On the other hand, where would he go if he wanted a transfer? If he needs to stay within commuting distance of Edinburgh, options would be limited. The Dundee clubs maybe.

There is a lot of speculation in there. 

1. Rather than being full of himself, on the contrary he may be very far from feeling like that after being dropped by SSC.

2. Also, who knows how he will react the situation? As far as I can remember from the last time he was very professional about it and then came back into the team for a few important games after Woodman had returned to Newcastle.

3. With regard to the longer term, Bachmann may not be at Killie after the end of this season so its a bit premature to think about MacDonald wanting a transfer.

I think what is far more cetain is that Bachmann will start again on Saturday. He has had one game and kept a clean sheet, I would expect him to keep his place after that. The jersey is his to lose now.

I agree the Dundee clubs are limited!

Still think it would be a shame if both are in the Championship next season as it's a footballing City unlike (say) Perth!

48 minutes ago, skygod said:

It will be interesting to see what happens if he isn't selected on Saturday and subsequently.

Kelly's doing well at Livi but Holt might want more experience on the books. Fasan has had a torrid time at Falkirk but they look to be on their way down, if anything, and playing outside the Premiership isn't going to keep him in Scotland contention.

39 minutes ago, historyman said:

There is a lot of speculation in there. 

1. Rather than being full of himself, on the contrary he may be very far from feeling like that after being dropped by SSC.

2. Also, who knows how he will react the situation? As far as I can remember from the last time he was very professional about it and then came back into the team for a few important games after Woodman had returned to Newcastle.

3. With regard to the longer term, Bachmann may not be at Killie after the end of this season so its a bit premature to think about MacDonald wanting a transfer.

I think what is far more cetain is that Bachmann will start again on Saturday. He has had one game and kept a clean sheet, I would expect him to keep his place after that. The jersey is his to lose now.

Yeah,  the post was designed to start debate so there would be some speculation. 

1. His confidence is hardly going to be rock-bottom after being away with the national team. And yes, he is coming back to confront reality which was my whole point. 

2. Last time he was two years younger and hadn’t just had the boost of a national call-up. 

I might be wrong, but I think he might have said in an interview that he doesn't know if he would be so patient another time. 

3. Very likely Bachmann won’t be around after this season but I don’t think Jamie is going to be prepared to sit out the season at his age.

There is also a transfer window coming up. 

2 hours ago, skygod said:

Yeah,  the post was designed to start debate so there would be some speculation. 

1. His confidence is hardly going to be rock-bottom after being away with the national team. And yes, he is coming back to confront reality which was my whole point. 

2. Last time he was two years younger and hadn’t just had the boost of a national call-up. 

I might be wrong, but I think he might have said in an interview that he doesn't know if he would be so patient another time. 

3. Very likely Bachmann won’t be around after this season but I don’t think Jamie is going to be prepared to sit out the season at his age.

There is also a transfer window coming up. 

I think you gave it a negtive slant. To make it a more balanced post you could also have speculated that Macdonald could return from the national squad more confident and more convinced than ever that he should be the number one and therefore he would be completely focused in training, would show a professional approach and would be determined to prove to his manager that should be back in the team.

Personally I think that is a more likely scenario than him wanting a transfer. However, I also think the performances / fitness of the man in possession of the jersey will be the main factor in determining when (if at all) he gets back in

Edited by historyman

@historyman MacDonald made it clear when Woodman left that if he was not going to be first choice under McCulloch he would be leaving. There was plenty of speculation he would go when Bell signed. IMO he wasn’t overly professional about losing his place as he had a two page spread in one of the Sunday papers moaning about it. 

With regards to him coming back in it really depends on why he was dropped. We are presuming it was because of a few dodgy moments. If that’s the case then Bachmann keeps the jersey as he didn’t do anything to deserve losing it. There is a reasonable argument that it was tactical though. In that case MacDonald will probably come back in. 

24 minutes ago, piffer said:

@historyman MacDonald made it clear when Woodman left that if he was not going to be first choice under McCulloch he would be leaving. There was plenty of speculation he would go when Bell signed. IMO he wasn’t overly professional about losing his place as he had a two page spread in one of the Sunday papers moaning about it. 

With regards to him coming back in it really depends on why he was dropped. We are presuming it was because of a few dodgy moments. If that’s the case then Bachmann keeps the jersey as he didn’t do anything to deserve losing it. There is a reasonable argument that it was tactical though. In that case MacDonald will probably come back in. 

I think things are a lot different now than they were under the previous two managers. That said I don't think he was unprofessional from what i can remember of the article at the time, perhaps a bit niave and was stitched up by a journalist trying to make a story. Also, Bachmann has been here since the start of the season patiently waiting for his chance as opposed to being brought in on loan in January and given a starting place.

IMO Macdonald has been dropped now for mistakes in recent matches, the free-kick goal v Dons being the worst and a very costly one. I thought he was unfarily treated to be dropped in favour of Woodman but this time round I don't think he can complain. If Bachmann does well then I am sure he will keep his place and will deserve to do so.

1 hour ago, historyman said:

I think you gave it a negtive slant. To make it a more balanced post you could also have speculated that Macdonald could return from the national squad more confident and more convinced than ever that he should be the number one and therefore he would be completely focused in training, would show a professional approach and would be determined to prove to his manager that should be back in the team.

I choose my words very carefully. I didn't say that he would have a bad attitude - just that, if he isn't selected, it might be difficult for SC to keep him happy.

Things are rarely black and white; it may be that he is selected on Saturday, in which case there won't be an issue. 

It's just an unusual situation for us to have a player return from international duty unsure of his place, which I thought was worth looking at.

Edited by skygod

Sometimes you read posts on this forum that don't make sensible reading this is one of them pure speculation when none of us know the true facts and isn't it the same situation with our club that exists with all of the other top flight teams  they all carry two keepers in their squads and haven't rangers and Celtic rotated them this season already let's all just trust SC to make the decisions lads!

3 minutes ago, Bbk said:

Sometimes you read posts on this forum that don't make sensible reading this is one of them pure speculation when none of us know the true facts and isn't it the same situation with our club that exists with all of the other top flight teams  they all carry two keepers in their squads and haven't rangers and Celtic rotated them this season already let's all just trust SC to make the decisions lads!

It’s unusual for clubs to rotate keepers in the league unless there is injury or suspension. Sevco have rotated keepers in league and cup. I think Celtic stuck with Bain in cup games until Gordon got injured. St Johnstone have rotated keepers on and off  in the past couple of seasons with Mannus and Clark. That’s the only obvious one that comes to mind.