Ross Millen

Graeme S

24 minutes ago, skygod said:

He was 28 and a couple of months.

So he was around 29 and six months when Celtic came in for him.

There is a joker in this story which is Alex Totten, who had replaced Burns. Millen and Totten had been together at St Johnstone and, I think, Alloa but didn't see eye to eye by all accounts.

So not only did Millen have the financial incentive of joining Celtic and reuniting with Burns and Stark who had ignited his career to the extent of earning a Scotland B cap, but he could have got away from Totten.

Understandable that, despite being under contract, he was keen on the move. Killie froze him out until the following March when he signed for Hibs in exchange for Billy Findlay.

Bearing a grudge against him or, worse still, his son 25 years on is silly.     

What he said ...

If the club has forgiven him and has seen fit to place him in charge of Youth Development, then I’m sure we can move on 25 years later.

I had the privilege of playing against him at the Open Day ‘Fans v Legends’ match and he was an absolute gentleman. I had a few years in the Juniors and a long amateur ‘career’, but I hadn’t kick a ball in 2 years and was feeling well out of my depth. Andy talked me through the game, helping me with my positioning at set pieces and kickouts etc. He was good craic at half-time too. Top geezer!

1 hour ago, Killiebob said:

Indeed - football memories are particularly unreliable!!There were enquires but Killie priced him out of a move basically.

Quite so. Sort of. He eventually ended up at Ipswich on loan. After we offered him to celtic for Willie Falconer. Celtic never responded.

I watched it on Hearts TV and it was a cracking goal but the performance was ok. I'm sure SC will be pointing out his mistakes, too many times he jumped in and the defender was round him. Not raining on his parade cause the potential is there but he's a long way off O'Donnell.

Andy Millen was a prick with Ayr, that's why i hate him nothing to do with him bettering himself or the snidey way he did it. Nothing to do with his son though, that's stupid.

49 minutes ago, DuncD said:

Solid enough as a back up to SOD. IMO he won’t be a regular starter unless injuries require him 

Keeper should have saved the goal though 

I thought that. Sportscene made a valid point that it might just have been in that awkward area between saving with feet or hands. 

Millen did well though. Kept it on target and got real power behind it. Got to buy a ticket to win the raffle. 

1 hour ago, Bonbon19 said:

I wonder what a few on here would say if for instance a son of , oh let’s say Michael Johnston turns out to be a striker who’d guarantee you he’d score 20 + a season and is a die hard Killie fan and does such a thing after signing for us ? 

MJ is a cant of the highest order, of his son was a 20goal a season striker who played for us, he’d be a fkng hero, but his dad would and will always be a parasite who isn’t welcome at TTOP.

13 hours ago, KA9Killie said:

Andy Millen was a late developer who didn't look much of a player until he joined Killie at the age of 25. He then formed a superb partnership with Ray Montgomerie, became a target for Celtic and then got a couple of years at Hibs. I don't understand the hatred towards the guy: he was dropped and vilified because he admitted that he wanted to join Celtic, but unlike Tommy Burns he didn't just walk out on us. It was unfortunate timing, just a few months after Burns and Stark had left. If someone was offering the chance of a lifetime to triple my salary (the differential would be much greater now), I would be a bit p*ssed off if my employer blocked me and customers not only lined up to attack me but continued the hatred a quarter of a century later.

Hopefully Ross Millen can follow the same path as his dad. His career has never really got going, and maybe with SSC's coaching he can find some hidden talent.

Feel free to criticise his sports bra, though. Doesn't really have the cleavage for it.

Although at the time many Killie fans were unhappy with tommy burns for leaving to join Celtic I'm sure many of us could understand the emotional pull of that club in his decision to leave I'd suggest you watch the BBC alba programme on the anniversary of his death and listen to his family telling of his time with us and how hard he found the decision to leave and on Ross Millen I also hope he earns himself an extended deal he has nothing to do with what his old man did!

I never have got the anti millen stuff. I’ve said on here before, he was outstanding for us. So he didn’t have killie blood running through his veins. Big deal. Do it on the park when selected. Naturally when a bigger offer comes in many players will want to grab it. He played for Ayr. Others have before and will in the future. Tb was The  original “ special one”. If he had offered me a job to clean his toilet, I’d probably have done it back in the day. Can’t blame millen for wanting to follow him.

On 11/11/2018 at 11:29 PM, Thebigguy68 said:

I never have got the anti millen stuff. I’ve said on here before, he was outstanding for us. So he didn’t have killie blood running through his veins. Big deal. Do it on the park when selected. Naturally when a bigger offer comes in many players will want to grab it. He played for Ayr. Others have before and will in the future. Tb was The  original “ special one”. If he had offered me a job to clean his toilet, I’d probably have done it back in the day. Can’t blame millen for wanting to follow him.

Agree with every word of this. I thought Andy Millen was brilliant for us (and TB obviously thought so too). The television interview (with Gerry McNee I think) was certainly a big mistake. I just remember being bitterly disappointed with how it all turned out.

10 minutes ago, DuncanEwart said:

Agree with every word of this. I thought Andy Millen was brilliant for us (and TB obviously thought so too). The television interview (with Gerry McNee I think) was certainly a big mistake. I just remember being bitterly disappointed with how it all turned out.

And I agree with every word of this too. Let's all move on FFS. Andy Millen was a brilliant player for us but as has been said had a big problem with Totten. If there had been anything in the Celtic move it would have set him up for life - and I seem to recall 350k for us being mentioned at the time which was decent money for a 29 year old Saw him a couple of years later in Greggs in Greenock one lunchtime with the Morton boys and did feel bad for him it had come to that.  As for this Ayr thing I totally don't get that either. Leave them to it, complete irrelevance. The only time in my lifetime they have been remotely competitive with us was first when Ally McLeod was in charge and then we we were a complete shambles in the mid 1980s, neither of which lasted long fortunately. Personally don't give a flying f*** about Ayr - we are so far removed from them it's embarrassing folk still get hung up on it, I'm interested in who is around us in the table.

And well done Ross, what a bloody strike that was

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:03 PM, Bonbon19 said:

I wonder what a few on here would say if for instance a son of , oh let’s say Michael Johnston turns out to be a striker who’d guarantee you he’d score 20 + a season and is a die hard Killie fan and does such a thing after signing for us ? 

You've taken that too far, you honestly think anyone in that family gives a f**k about Killie, never mind being a diehard fan?!

12 minutes ago, Ken T said:

And I agree with every word of this too. Let's all move on FFS. Andy Millen was a brilliant player for us but as has been said had a big problem with Totten. If there had been anything in the Celtic move it would have set him up for life - and I seem to recall 350k for us being mentioned at the time which was decent money for a 29 year old Saw him a couple of years later in Greggs in Greenock one lunchtime with the Morton boys and did feel bad for him it had come to that.  As for this Ayr thing I totally don't get that either. Leave them to it, complete irrelevance. The only time in my lifetime they have been remotely competitive with us was first when Ally McLeod was in charge and then we we were a complete shambles in the mid 1980s, neither of which lasted long fortunately. Personally don't give a flying f*** about Ayr - we are so far removed from them it's embarrassing folk still get hung up on it, I'm interested in who is around us in the table.

And well done Ross, what a bloody strike that was

Agree with most of that except it setting him up for life. A move to Celtic at that age, during that era certainly wouldn't have.

Just in the same way Brian McLaughlin, John Hughes etc weren't set up for life. He'd have made a few bob but it would be nowhere near what he would get at Celtic now.

5 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You've taken that too far, you honestly think anyone in that family gives a f**k about Killie, never mind being a diehard fan?!

That’s the problem with some folk , they get blinkered into thinking they know somebody and their personal circumstances and how they feel or relate to others . You’ve just assumed that anyone associated with MJ wouldn’t do a job for our team and that every supporter wouldn’t welcome a 20+ a year goal scorer because of their associations. I contend that KFC can’t be that fussy and SSC wouldn’t be either 

Personally I don’t give damn and their backstory is unimportant unless of course there are legal proceedings outstanding , what’s important is how they perform for KFC IMO 

4 hours ago, Thebigguy68 said:

Not sure. But think the passion more likely about the footballing road that took him to Tynecastle last Saturday. He was ready to chuck it after struggling to make ends meat out of the game. His dad had a decent career which adds its own presssure. Killie gave him a footballing lifeline. Only problem...he’s got the best right back in scotlNd ahead of him. As chance would have it, he gets a break with sod injury. He’s nervous through the first half but steadies. Suddenly as the game wears on, against the league leaders, on their own patch, he gets the ball 20 yards out....all the years of rejection and disappointment, uncertainty as to whether he’d ever get a chance in the game floods through his head as he ponders a shot at goal.....has he got the balls? A second later and it’s done. Near 1200 of the blue and white army a few yards from him. A moment in a lifetime....go mad my son, go mad!!!!!!!!!

I detect another SSC masterstroke. When news crept out that SOD was out injured, I think a lot of fans had other plans up their sleeve. Rory could definitely do a job there, Kirk could shift across with Scott Boyd coming in again. I even wondered whether we could try 3-5-2 with Burke and Taylor as hardworking intelligent wing-backs.

But nah. Clarke probably pulled Millen aside, said you're my man and I have faith in you and made a player feel 10ft tall.