Poor tosser

A referee has been suspended for three weeks for deciding a Women's Super League kick-off with a game of rocks, paper, scissors instead of a coin toss.

David McNamara made the error before Manchester City's home game against Reading on 26 October after leaving his coin in the dressing room. The Football Association said he "accepted a charge of 'not acting in the best interests of the game'".

A coin toss to decide kick-offs is a requirement under the laws of the game.In this case, it involved England and Manchester City skipper Steph Houghton and Reading captain Kirsty Pearce, before the teams shared a 1-1 draw.

FA women's refereeing manager Joanna Stimpson told The Times that the McNamara's mistake was "a moment of madness".She added: "The referee forgot his coin and in that moment, in a TV game, he was really pushed for time. He should have been more prepared, he should have had a coin. It was disappointing, it's not appropriate, it's very unprofessional."

McNamara's ban will last from Monday, 26 November to Sunday, 16 December.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46202509

Even if he forgot his own coin and didn't have time to run back to the dressing room I can't believe there would have been no-one nearby, coach, manager, people in crowd etc who didn't have a coin they could borrow. 

I found it quite amusing because here in the Czech Republic they seem to decide everything with rock, paper, scissors rather than tossing a coin. Except official football matches of course... 

Just now, Prahakillie said:

Even if he forgot his own coin and didn't have time to run back to the dressing room I can't believe there would have been no-one nearby, coach, manager, people in crowd etc who didn't have a coin they could borrow. 

I found it quite amusing because here in the Czech Republic they seem to decide everything with rock, paper, scissors rather than tossing a coin. Except official football matches of course... 

Would never have happened at Tynecastle. 

• 3 weeks later...