Greg Stewart

Greg Stewart: Kilmarnock forward to see out season loan - Steve Clarke

Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke says Greg Stewart will remain at the club for the rest of his season-long loan.

Stewart has scored eight goals in 13 games but Clarke says he has had "no indication" from parent club Birmingham that "they want him back down south".

Clarke admits he would love to keep the 28-year-old beyond the current campaign but that Stewart "holds all the aces".

"Greg's happy and we're happy. His contract is up in the summer, so he's in a great position," the manager said.

"He's done really well for himself, he's done well for Kilmarnock and we're delighted with him. We're looking forward to having him for the rest of the season."

The former Dundee forward has rediscovered his best form at Rugby Park after spending last season on loan at Aberdeen.

Asked if a longer-term deal was a possibility for Stewart, Clarke added: "If it's something we could do then we'd do it - but Greg holds all the aces.

"It's not about persuading him to stay. People look too far ahead sometimes in football.

"He's enjoying himself and his football here. He's found a nice place to come back and find his form.

"He's doing great. We're happy with him and I know he's happy with us. Short-term that's the best solution for everybody."

'We don't have to sell anybody'

Clarke was also sanguine about the possibility of losing winger Jordan Jones, who is approaching the final six months of his Kilmarnock contract.

The Northern Ireland international has been suggested as a possible transfer target for Rangers in January, but Clarke is optimistic of retaining another prime asset.

"We're in a good position here, we don't have to sell anybody," he said. "If I can keep the squad together then I'll be delighted.

"If we can do that, we can have a decent second half of the season together."

Kilmarnock are in third place in the Premiership, a point behind Rangers and two behind Celtic, having played a game more than the champions.

Clarke will be without on-loan Wolves winger Bright Enobakhare, who has a calf strain, and midfielder Iain Wilson, who is on crutches after injuring a knee, for Saturday's trip to Hamilton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46648589

He’s miles beyond our current highest earner on his Brum salary so he 

- accepts a contract on similar terms is highly unlikely to be offered from another English club as he didn’t shine in that environment last time,

- gets tapped up by a Scottish team who can pay way more than us,

- or accepts the best offer we can muster and continues to enjoy his football at a club he knows he’s appreciated at but not his biggest payday. 

He strikes me as a level headed lad who is enjoying himself so doubt he’ll rush into any long term decisions. 

If he’s sensible he will stay here until end of season and play his way into Scotland team and a really good contract at Hearts or the like.

Thats not me being defeatist but I feel it’s the reality: they can offer 3 or 4 times our salary. He’s been superb and a cut above every time I’ve seen him. 

I can’t believe Birmingham have even one player better than him.  

Edited by NorfolkG

After winning the double and playing in the Champions League next season surely he will stay beyond the summer :D Seriously though, absolutely brilliant news, to have him till the end of the season is all we can ask just now, as SC says. Also good noises about JJ. Keep the current squad together in January, avoid any long term injuries to them, and add another couple, and see where it all takes us...

Btw is Bachmann a season long loan? Apologies if answered elsewhere.

9 hours ago, KillkieBoab said:

Greg Stewart: Kilmarnock forward to see out season loan - Steve Clarke

Kilmarnock manager Steve Clarke says Greg Stewart will remain at the club for the rest of his season-long loan.

Stewart has scored eight goals in 13 games but Clarke says he has had "no indication" from parent club Birmingham that "they want him back down south".

Clarke admits he would love to keep the 28-year-old beyond the current campaign but that Stewart "holds all the aces".

"Greg's happy and we're happy. His contract is up in the summer, so he's in a great position," the manager said.

"He's done really well for himself, he's done well for Kilmarnock and we're delighted with him. We're looking forward to having him for the rest of the season."

The former Dundee forward has rediscovered his best form at Rugby Park after spending last season on loan at Aberdeen.

Asked if a longer-term deal was a possibility for Stewart, Clarke added: "If it's something we could do then we'd do it - but Greg holds all the aces.

"It's not about persuading him to stay. People look too far ahead sometimes in football.

"He's enjoying himself and his football here. He's found a nice place to come back and find his form.

"He's doing great. We're happy with him and I know he's happy with us. Short-term that's the best solution for everybody."

'We don't have to sell anybody'

Clarke was also sanguine about the possibility of losing winger Jordan Jones, who is approaching the final six months of his Kilmarnock contract.

The Northern Ireland international has been suggested as a possible transfer target for Rangers in January, but Clarke is optimistic of retaining another prime asset.

"We're in a good position here, we don't have to sell anybody," he said. "If I can keep the squad together then I'll be delighted.

"If we can do that, we can have a decent second half of the season together."

Kilmarnock are in third place in the Premiership, a point behind Rangers and two behind Celtic, having played a game more than the champions.

Clarke will be without on-loan Wolves winger Bright Enobakhare, who has a calf strain, and midfielder Iain Wilson, who is on crutches after injuring a knee, for Saturday's trip to Hamilton

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46648589

There is a god

42 minutes ago, Chris-18 said:

I think Greg staying next season would very much depend on wether ssc is also still here next season

I don't think Sir Steve leaving anytime soon is a foregone conclusion. Reason for this is where would he realistically go?

EPL teams only seem to go for foreign coaches, despite the fact he could do a good job he's unlikely to be offered even a struggling EPL team. 

I think due to the way he was treated at Reading and the ruthless culture in the championship he's unlikely to go to a struggling team. The top teams are not going to sack their managers. 

As long as he is doing well with us he won't go to another Scottish team. Celtic maybe but that job is unlikely to come up soon. 

Biggest threat would be that he doesn't  do quite as well, if we lose half our team and Steve isn't enjoying it as much. At the moment I think he is loving it and wants to see how far we can go. 

On Stewart, if sir Steve is still manager and we have European football who knows but it will come down to finance and he could well end up a Hibs or hearts. 

1 hour ago, Chris-18 said:

I think Greg staying next season would very much depend on wether ssc is also still here next season

May be getting a bit complacent but I'm not in the least bit worried about him leaving. Why would he? He doesn't need the money, he's job security, from the area and well on his way to legend status here. He's said he wants to go back to England at some stage but don't think that will be before the end of his contract.

6 minutes ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

May be getting a bit complacent but I'm not in the least bit worried about him leaving. Why would he? He doesn't need the money, he's job security, from the area and well on his way to legend status here. He's said he wants to go back to England at some stage but don't think that will be before the end of his contract.

Think it might depend where we end up. If we get a European place (or above hopefully!) I think he'd hang about

4 hours ago, All the Wine said:

Think it might depend where we end up. If we get a European place (or above hopefully!) I think he'd hang about

I think he would as well, unless a spectacular offer came in. He's fairly young in managerial terms.

Although he has a lower profile, St Johnstone have managed to keep hold of Tommy Wright for over five years. 

There's a lot to be said for job satisfaction, particularly when he's already been through the mill at West Brom and Reading.