Greg Stewart

Think there might be a queue to have a go at him tomorrow if Dicker’s interview is anything to go by.

25 JAN WE CAN COPE WITHOUT YOU, GARY DICKER TELLS FORMER KILLIE TEAM-MATE STEWART

Gary Dicker believes Kilmarnock’s victory over Rangers shows Steve Clarke’s outfit are no one-man team.

Greg Stewart has moved to Aberdeen, but his departure could not stop the Rugby Park outfit beating Steven Gerrard’s side on Wednesday night as they leapfrogged the Ibrox side into second.

But Killie will now come up face to face with their former team-mate on Saturday when they travel north to Pittodrie.

The visitors will hope Stewart does not set out to prove a point in a similar manner to Jordan Jones, who proved his loyalties still lie with the Ayrshire outfit by firing Wednesday’s winner against the team he has agreed to join this summer.

Dicker, though, has no doubt his team can cope without Stewart.

He said: “Greg is a good lad, he fitted in well here – not the sharpest tool in the box. His comments about winning stuff – I think we’ve probably won more games in the last few years than they’ve won.

“Nah, listen, he’s a good lad and you move on in football. Come three o’clock it doesn’t matter who you are. You’d play against your brother, it makes no difference.

“Am I surprised he made that move considering how well we’re going here? Yeah and no. It is what it is. We’ve moved on.

“I think everyone doubted us and thought the wheels are coming off at Killie. It just shows what a good team we are. It’s not all about one player.

“We couldn’t have had a bigger game to start with without Greg, but we got the result against Rangers. We were doing well before Greg came and I’m sure we’ll do well again.”

Boss Clark, who claimed the behind-the-scenes manoeuvrings which saw Derek McInnes win the race sign Stewart after he was recalled from his Rugby Park loan stint by Birmingham reeked of “bull****”, joked he would like to be taking on the 28-year-old himself.

“I won’t be playing against Greg myself personally – unfortunately,” said the Killie boss before pausing to let the laughter in the room die down. “And you can tell Greg I mean that in the nicest possible way.

“Listen, it’s just one of these things that happens in football. Obviously we know a lot about Greg and are grateful for the contribution to our season here at Kilmarnock.

“He’s now an Aberdeen player and we’ll treat him like we treat every other opposition player and that’s with respect. We’ll then try to minimise the damage he can do to us.

“We’ve got nothing to prove to anybody. We’ll just go about our own business and try to focus on ourselves.”

While Killie sit just a point behind leaders Celtic after their 2-1 Gers triumph, the Dons are also in the title hunt two back.

And Clarke, who admits he is interested in signing former Ipswich and Hull defender Alex Bruce but denied an 18 month deal has been agreed, added: “I think for Scottish football it’s been good that the competition has been so good this season. Everybody seems capable of beating everybody else which is good for the league.”

I didn’t realise he had a wee but of a temper on him and a bit prone to reacting until he signed for us. It was most evident in the Hamilton game at RP but he was told at Motherwell to calm it on more than one occasion while on a booking. Certainly someone who could perhaps be wound up a bit tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, piffer said:

I didn’t realise he had a wee but of a temper on him and a bit prone to reacting until he signed for us. It was most evident in the Hamilton game at RP but he was told at Motherwell to calm it on more than one occasion while on a booking. Certainly someone who could perhaps be wound up a bit tomorrow.

A win and a Greg Stewart sending off for violent conduct would be the perfect day.

He might even get a longer ban as it would be his second offence this season. Over to you Kirkie...

Just now, casual observer said:

Gary’s wise enough to leave one on him and see how he reacts. Wouldn’t be surprised if the full backs also have a bite given the chance. 

Saw Greg Taylor getting a couple of verbal digs in at Defoe along with Findlay the other night. Wouldn’t be surprised if he was the one to thump Stewart. 

29 minutes ago, piffer said:

And just in time for big Kirk to be chapping on Clarke's door for a start again...

10 hours ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Keep him on his right foot. Kick him right up the hole first few minutes and see if he's up for the fight. 

With Mr Walsh ‘ in charge’ I'd not advocate any kickings up the hole in any minute as that wee clown has been completely owned by the Dons every time he’s referred their games. 

I think that the article that appeared in the Daily Ranger was taken from Red TV and having watched the video of Stewart getting asked a couple of questions, he isn’t the brightest lad in fact he’s thick as f##k so someone has written all the pish about silverware for him. I hope come the end of the season he’s eating humble pie.

3 minutes ago, harley said:

Here's a question. If & it's a big if, if we win the league does Stewart get a medal. Has he just given himself 2 chances of winning the league.

Think the old rule was ten appearances. Not sure if that’s still the case. Can remember teams making sure squad players got over the mark towards the end of the season but not sure of examples of players leaving for rival clubs. 

39 minutes ago, harley said:

Here's a question. If & it's a big if, if we win the league does Stewart get a medal. Has he just given himself 2 chances of winning the league.

Aye a chocolate wan wrapped in gold foil the c**t,

Seriously I would think he should get one if we were to win it , he did after all contribute half a season and a few goals.

Annoyingly I only know the rules in England. Each club gets 40 medals to distribute as they see fit among players and coaches. But they are given firm guidance that any player who made five league appearances should get a medal. Most clubs seem to use that as the mark, add in the back-up keeper if he didn't play five and then the remainder goes to the coaching staff.

Footballers often raise their game when they face their previous clubs but what can be forgotten is that those who were left behind can be similarly motivated to show their former team-mate that the grass is not always greener with another side.

Greg Stewart was Kilmarnock’s joint-top Premiership scorer when he elected to join Aberdeen last week for the remaining five months of his contract with parent club Birmingham City, a move which Killie manager Steve Clarke claimed reeked of “bulls**t”.

Asked how he would attempt to use his knowledge of the forward to nullify him when the clubs meet this afternoon, Clarke replied: “I’m not playing against him… unfortunately.” There was a pause for comic timing but the wounds are still raw.

Irish midfielder Gary Dicker cannot understand why Stewart would choose to leave Rugby Park. Killie are second in the table (one point behind Celtic) and a second successive victory at Pittodrie would hoist them five points clear of Derek McInnes’ team.

“The Greg Stewart factor adds a bit of spice to the game but no one fixture will be focused on one player – there are another 21 on the pitch who’ll determine what happens,” said Dicker. “If we’ve eight or nine people playing well then it doesn’t matter what Greg does.

“I was surprised he went to Aberdeen but I’ve seen a lot stranger decisions in football; it’s a choice he made and that’s up to him.

“He said it’s about trophies but I don’t think he’s done his homework too much about what Aberdeen have won in the last few years.

“We enjoyed having Greg here. I’m sure we’ll have a chat before the game. But I’m sure Greg won’t be giving us a pat on the back come 3 o’clock and there won’t be many in our team doing the same.

“Me and Jordan Jones bombarded him with messages when the move happened. I don’t think he responded for a good six hours. He finally broke and looked at his phone and we had a bit of craic.

“He got launched out of our WhatsApp group chat; he threw a message into it and then jumped out straight away. We gave him a bit of stick over it when it happened and he got bombarded with a few voicemails and other things.

“People probably thought the wheels would come off with Greg away, a big TV game against Rangers and everyone jumping on the Jordan Jones bandwagon, but we won and proved again we know what we’re doing.”

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/dicker-claims-stewart-didn-t-do-his-homework-over-dons-move-1-4862808

3 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

Ill just never understand his decision if financially the offers were similar.  

Hes out of contract and will be 29 in the summer.  It’s his last chance really to get a contract where he will be able to look back on his career and say he had any sort of meaningful impact.  He finally found that with us, arguably the first time in his career he wasn’t potential but critical to the team.   

There is no doubt he would have maintained this form into the second half of the season and could have opened all sorts of doors for himself in the summer.  Instead, he’s gone somewhere that never worked for him previously and has took a huge gamble.  What happens for him in the summer isn’t quite so guaranteed anymore.  

Stupid twat.  

Not very often I agree with you, but I've said the same on Stewart as well.

f**k him, f**k McInnes and their clubs increasingly Sevco like behaviour get them what they deserve, all round dislike and hatred from everyone else.

• 3 weeks later...