Books for Christmas

DuncanEwart

• 2 weeks later...

The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin, was an interesting concept but just ok as a book.  

Blood Salt Water by Denise Mina. Not one of her best

Rock and Roll Soccer by Ian Prenderleith about the new soccer league in the US in the 1970s

Detriot 67 by Stuart Cosgrove. Wasn't enjoying it so have parked it. It's not very well written to be honest

And a couple of books by an Irish author called Liz Nugent. She's a really good writer, would recommend her.

Finally, I Saw A Man by Owen Sheers which was recommended to me.

ive also just started The Greatest Comeback by David Bolchover and it's very good so far. It's about Bela Guttman who survived the concentration camps and then led Benfica to the European Cup.

I will need to buy Poverty Safari and see what the fuss is about. I will also buy the latest Jonathon Coe when it comes out in paperback. I've liked all of his books

• 2 weeks later...

I remember you mentioned "The Greatest Comeback" on another thread. I must admit I've never heard of Bela Guttman but his sounds an incredible story and certainly one I am keen to read.

"The Quaker" was excellent. Parts of it - the derelict and decaying buildings, a poverty stricken populace in flux, vulnerable women at the mercy of predatory males- reminded me of David Peace's "Tokyo Year Zero".