French Open tennis

skygod

27 minutes ago, Zorro said:

The depth of talent in men's tennis is as weak as its been in a long time, and he manages to underachievie in that pool. 

Talent in Mens' Singles may be shallow but, over the past ten years, the  quality at the very top has probably been as strong as it has ever been, namely Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray. You would probably have to go back to the days of Borg, Connors and McEnroe.

If Murray has been, unarguably, No. 4 out of that group, does that make him a failure? Of course not.

As it happens, he is currently No. 2 in that group. Yet some still brand him a bottler, a failure.

Sometimes, your best just isn't good enough. He played well against Djokovic point after point, yet Novak kept getting the ball back and winning points. In those circumstances, who wouldn't get despondent? His best wasn't good enough. The consolation to him should be, as I said above, clay isn't Murray's best surface by a long chalk (mixed metaphor?).

Getting to 19 semi-finals and winning two titles is a natural consequence of being No. 4 - sometimes  by a margin - in a talented group of four. A bottler would be someone who was No. 1 in that group and won two titles from 19 semi-final appearances.

Murray has used psychologists in the past and has rejected them. That's his choice. He is accountable to no-one but himself except when playing Davis Cup and Olympics.

It will be a long time before we see a British, let alone Scottish, tennis player so successful yet some still choose to ridicule him. Unbelievable!

Edited by skygod

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Zorro said:

I don't like the reverence his fan club lavishes on him because he's Scottish. Decent enough player but if he was English people up here would be quick enough to recognise his limitations.

I think you're confusing reverence with support.

We are well aware of Andy's limitations, as we are with the limitations of our football, rugby teams etc. Doesn't stop us wanting them all to win.

And until a similarly talented English player comes along, which as Skygod says could be a while away, you can't say how they'll be received up here. I actually enjoyed watching Henman at Wimbledon, he was involved in some great games, although he was nowhere near the level Murray has reached...

4 hours ago, Zorro said:

I don't like the reverence his fan club lavishes on him because he's Scottish. Decent enough player but if he was English people up here would be quick enough to recognise his limitations. Murray will never be world class until he gets his head sorted. The depth of talent in men's tennis is as weak as its been in a long time, and he manages to underachievie in that pool. 

Murray will never be "World class" according to your definition.  If you base your assessment on something that is wrong then you can argue all you want but you can never be right because you can't accept that your definition is wrong.

Andy Murray is World class by the definition that everybody apart from you uses.