French Open tennis

skygod

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the biggest factor was a poor service day and tactical rather than mental. He started to play Djokovic at his own game after the first set with a range of slice and drop shots. Bottom line is that is something Djokovic will always win at. He was much more competitive forcing him deep to the baseline.

It's really a crying shame that Murray has come at  a time when 3 of the best ever players are plying their trade.

Federer, Nadal and Djokovic have dominated the majors. Would like to have seen what Murray would have done 10 years ago at the level he is at now.

Murray has now been in 10 major finals and only won 2. In the matches he's lost he's never looked like winning apart from the first set yesterday. Unfortunately he needs to be at his very best AND his opponent needs to be slightly off for murray to win. If djokovic is at full tilt, he's basically unbeatable.

A few years ago, I said that Murray would be as well to duck the clay court season as he had no chance of ever winning the French Open.

Admittedly, that was when Nadal was almost unbeatable on clay and Federer was in his pomp but for him to reach the Roland Garos final and to win in Rome is a huge achievement.

The worry has to be that his endeavours have weakened him for the grass season. You would still bet on another final with Djokovic at Wimbledon though as the competition is so weak.   

If anything happened to Djokovic, Murray would be clear favourite in every Slam. Nadal, Federer and Ferrer have passed their best and the new wave hasn't materialised. Nishikori is the best of the rest but he is a way off yet. Murray thrashed Wawrinka in Paris.

8 minutes ago, Zorro said:

You can't say that, there's a Scotsman ( or Brit if you're a yoon) able to play tennis at an above average level. He must be world class too. 

He is, it's just that you are incapable of understanding the definition"World-class ".

He doesn't have to be the best he just has to be amongst the best, which he is.

Sorry bud, but he's in the pack with the other also rans. I actually feel sorry for Djokovic, we'll never know how good a player he is, because there's nobody to push him to the limit. He didn't even break sweat yesterday, something you'd expect him to do, if he really was up against a world class player. 

Edited by Zorro

54 minutes ago, Zorro said:

he's in the pack with the other also rans.

I can't think of one of the also rans who's won 4 out of the 6 main titles in mens' tennis, and averaged a grand slam final a year for the past decade.

He's obviously not at the same level as Djokovic, or Federer at his peak. But very few players have been. Probably only those two.

Edited by Fankle

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

Sorry bud, but he's in the pack with the other also rans. I actually feel sorry for Djokovic, we'll never know how good a player he is, because there's nobody to push him to the limit. He didn't even break sweat yesterday, something you'd expect him to do, if he really was up against a world class player. 

Give it a rest - you are becoming tiresome.

11 hours ago, Fankle said:

I can't think of one of the also rans who's won 4 out of the 6 main titles in mens' tennis, and averaged a grand slam final a year for the past decade.

He's obviously not at the same level as Djokovic, or Federer at his peak. But very few players have been. Probably only those two.

To put things in perspective, Stan Wawrinka has won two majors since Murray last put his greetin-faced paws on one. Nobody cares if Murray can win the Malaysian open or some other two bob tournament to keep his ranking up, the fact is he bottles it in the majors. 

39 minutes ago, Fankle said:

He's reached the last 4 of a grand slam 19 times! Not exactly bottling it. I can think of very few occasions where he's lost to a weaker player.

Two majors from 19 semis is the very definition of bottling it. I doubt there's another player in the history of tennis with as poor a record from that position. Wawrinka for instance, is nowhere near as good as Murray but seems capable of taking advantage of any opportunities which come his was. Murray, on the other hand, looks for reasons to fail. On Sunday it was the crowd rustling as he went to serve and the position of the overhead camera. He's as fit as Djokovic, if not fitter (his recovery time between points is phenomenal, while Djokovic tries to take longer to recover), but he constantly blames fatigue. His first serve is up there with the best of them, he returns as good as anyone, but put him under pressure and he cracks like a cracky thing. Total bottle merchant. 

1 hour ago, Wrangodog said:

"Greetin-faced paws " ?  You really don't like Murray, do you ?

Murray does have some kind of psychological problem when it comes to getting over the line in majors. That doesn't mean he isn't World class. Warinka has won the same number of majors as Murray, two.

I don't like the reverence his fan club lavishes on him because he's Scottish. Decent enough player but if he was English people up here would be quick enough to recognise his limitations. Murray will never be world class until he gets his head sorted. The depth of talent in men's tennis is as weak as its been in a long time, and he manages to underachievie in that pool.