AGM and KFC accounts

KillkieBoab

22 minutes ago, chubbs said:

Not fussed to be honest.

Better to have a grass pitch in our financial situation then it is probably better for the club to put down astroturf .... until the Champions League cash comes in.

There's really 3 tiers innit?

The traditional grass park, 3G and the Hybrid surface for when you've the CL or EPL cash coming in!

The gold standard is the hybrid pitch these days in the UK, complicating matters further.

Putting a traditional grass surface down just doesn't work in Modern stadium with 4 high sided stands a deep concrete foundations in crap British weather.

Putting a grass pitch down or relaying the 3G would be a second class surface in the greater scheme of things.

Is a difficult one..

Edited by RAG

17 hours ago, Fudger said:

Unfortunately it’s not just the fact we have astro, it’s also the fact that it’s not a particularly good one. There are many better surfaces in Killie and the surrounding areas. 

Get rid as soon as we possibly can. 

Where are there better surfaces?

50 minutes ago, Oldkillie said:

eTownholm and Stewarton

I'd be surprised if the Bonnyton surface is better. The Rugby Park surface is excellent compared to your standard 3G surface. Don't be fooled by the way it looks from the stands. It's maybe not as aesthetically beautiful as other surfaces but under foot it's far superior to any other artificial surface I've ever played on.

Edited by Fletch

24 minutes ago, Gallus said:

Took them at the last game at Tynecastle.

If that's a hybrid, we should get a hybrid!!

I could live with that.

It's nothing to do with "dangerous plastic" or some kind of stuck in the past nostalgia for me. It is all about image.

The playing surface we have now looks like a cheap imitation of the Hamilton surface.

Surely we have some self respect?

46 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I'd be surprised if the Bonnyton surface is better. The Rugby Park surface is excellent compared to your standard 3G surface. Don't be fooled by the way it looks from the stands. It's maybe not as aesthetically beautiful as other surfaces but under foot it's far superior to any other artificial surface I've ever played on.

I played at RP in the summer and the surface is genuinely one of the worst about at the moment. I regularly play in Stewarton and it’s far better, I played in beith on Friday night and that’s even better. 

RP is pretty s**te compared with most I’ve played on which really disappointed me. 

The pitches at St.Josephs in New Farm & Kilwinning Academy which i think are the same are the best I've been on & way ahead of Rugby park. If we're considering putting down a new plastic pitch that would be disappointing to say the least. Did Hamilton not spend 3/4 of a million on their new pitch?  If the board are considering spending that kind of money then surely a decent grass/hybrid isn't unthinkable?

A lot of our fans really need a reality check here. The article by John Barnes is just conjecture based on a comment in the AGM preamble about a feasibility study in replacing the pitch. The feasibility study is to determine if we need a replacement pitch this season or next and whether we can afford it or not. We still owe Billy Bowie £850,000 for installing the current synthetic pitch, how in god's name are we even talking about hybrid pitches or even grass when that would cost almost double what we owe already and we also have fans moaning about not being able to compete in the transfer market?

The pitch needs replaced sooner or later, and sooner is more likely based on the fact a feasibility study is even being undertaken. Understandable people have an opinion on that. I don’t know the cost of relaying a new  artificial surface at RP, but Accies reportedly paid upwards of £750k last summer, so it’s likely to be in that ballpark. Therefore a hybrid alternative isn’t quite pie in the sky. 

I can't say I care all that much about 'appearance'. I can safely say I've never attended a game and thought 'The football was absolutely terrible, but it's ok because the grass looked nice', or 'Great result! Shame the playing surface didn't have a lovely pattern on it though'. This season's Killie and Hearts are a good case in point - Tynecastle pitch looks lovely but I think it's clear to anyone with eyes that watching Killie on plastic is a better footballing experience than watching Hearts on ultra-soft, uber-hybrid posh grass.

Moaning about pitches is just one of those things that football fans do to fill in the time between games, but in the grand scheme of things it clearly doesn't have much/any impact on our football - we were rubbish when we had rubbish managers; we're excellent with an excellent manager.

Any organisation has to manage expenditure to stay afloat. Spending millions on fancy grass would be a complete waste of money if it meant no training facilities (so more money going out of the club), and poorer players and risking relegation to be able to do it.

8 hours ago, rb_506 said:

...how in god's name are we even talking about hybrid pitches or even grass when that would cost almost double what we owe already....

It's not like a pitch is really important in a football club, is it?

The decision to lay an artificial pitch was taken by Johnston and Bowie without any consultation so, as fans, we had it foisted upon us. Clearly, a significant proportion are anti.

The idea that we should have another one - with another four or five years' lifetime - without consultation is going to be controversial.

We hear from the uninformed, which should not include John Barnes, that we derive commercial income from the pitch. Can someone explain to me what this is? There was two or three rugby matches once upon a time; there was a Rod Stewart show, but then we had Elton John when the pitch was grassed. What else? Anything of substance?

Laying another artificial pitch would commit us for four or five years, as I say, yet we would expect to develop a training centre in that time. What's the point of having a pitch which serves the purpose of the training ground? The training ground would, I assume, include a grass pitch so we seem to be doing things arse about face.

It's also about what kind of football club we see ourselves as, and would like to be seen as. Artificial pitches are not really taken seriously in European football. To be frank, they are seen as being for wee clubs who need to hire them out to bring in a bit more revenue, to the detriment of the core business. They are not popular with players, which makes recruitment even more difficult than it already should be.

So it's not a decision to be taken lightly and I sincerely hope that the Trust representative on the board will ensure that the fans have a say.

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, skygod said:

It's also about what kind of football club we see ourselves as, and would like to be seen as. Artificial pitches are not really taken seriously in European football. To be frank, they are seen as being for wee clubs who need to hire them to bring in a bit more revenue to the detriment of the core business. They are not popular with players, which makes recruitment even more difficult than it already should be.

This articulated my view better than I could have done myself.

For 30 or maybe even 40 years I have heard the prophets proclaim that the future is plastic. That the crap plastic surface in existence will soon be replaced by plastic that is better than real grass. It never happened and plastic is still associated with "low budget". When Chelsea and Real Madrid and Juventus are ripping up grass to put in plastic maybe that will be the time to think seriously about it. When SPFL clubs with average crowds around 2,500 are the only ones using them I think it speaks for itself. 

All 92 league clubs in England can afford and maintain grass pitches and, while artificial pitches are permitted below that level, many non-league clubs have immaculate grass pitches.

I know the argument of climate has been raised in the past to counter this but there are many clubs in the north of England including Carlisle, Barrow and Gateshead who seem to manage.

As for the cost of converting back from artificial to grass, I can think of Dunfermline at least who have achieved this. I can't see how a club such as Kilmarnock is incapable of installing and maintaining a good quality grass pitch.

The pitch 100% has led to us losing out on some signings since it was laid, I know that as a fact.

I'd love to see us on grass again but I think with the lack of training ground we're between a rock and a hard place.

Kilwinning or Townholm would have been ideal to get a joint training facility but Mr John Michael Johnston's stubbornness f**ked that.