Standing up to the Old Firm

NorfolkG

The board didn’t sell Jones on the cheap despite a lot of pressure. Which was brave. The fans stuck with the team in a grim first quarter tonight.

End result - Jones scores winner as we embarrass them yet again.

I’ve been delighted to see teams stand up to the Old Firm the last couple of seasons and show that they aren’t all that great after all.

Edited by NorfolkG

As mentioned under previous managers (Shiels aside) these games were lost before kick off, this in turn passed on to the fans, now the turnaround is incredible. Don't know the stats but feels like we have accumulated more points in the last season & half than we did in the previous 10yrs!

25 minutes ago, Dan1el said:

As mentioned under previous managers (Shiels aside) these games were lost before kick off, this in turn passed on to the fans, now the turnaround is incredible. Don't know the stats but feels like we have accumulated more points in the last season & half than we did in the previous 10yrs!

Jim Jeffries

10 minutes ago, killie1961 said:

Jim Jeffries

How many times under Jefferies did we hear "You don't budget for points against the old firm" or "Anything against the old firm is a bonus". The only two managers we've had any real success with against them have been the two managers who set us up well tactically and believe we can beat them. Our attitude against the old firm has been shocking over the years. Before Clarke we were slipping into the territory of not budgeting for points against top 6 sides.

1 minute ago, killie billies pal said:

We didn’t beat Rangers once at RP under Shiels or Jefferies, can’t even remember beating Celtic at home either tbh

Yes we did. Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 0 - Pascali, under Shiels. The "People from Kilmarnock should support Kilmarnock" game. First home win vs them since 1994. 

8 minutes ago, steve101 said:

Yes we did. Kilmarnock 1 Rangers 0 - Pascali, under Shiels. The "People from Kilmarnock should support Kilmarnock" game. First home win vs them since 1994.

12 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

We didn’t beat Rangers once at RP under Shiels or Jefferies, can’t even remember beating Celtic at home either tbh

Engage brain before opening mouth methinks!!

12 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

I have a hazy recollection of being 2 down at half time at Ibrox and winning 3-2.  This was probably around the 64/65 season? My memory of the night we put 6 (not a misprint) past Celtic is much clearer with my father telling me to sit down and shut as I was screaming "I WANT TEN". This was long before segregation

10 hours ago, Dan1el said:

I feel we went toe to toe under Mixu but were too reckless, especially that ‘pass out’ game at RP.

Jefferies, who I liked overall, treated the OF games very poorly.

20 hours ago, George Reid said:

I have a hazy recollection of being 2 down at half time at Ibrox and winning 3-2.  This was probably around the 64/65 season? My memory of the night we put 6 (not a misprint) past Celtic is much clearer with my father telling me to sit down and shut as I was screaming "I WANT TEN". This was long before segregation

That will be the game where we were two up at halftime, went behind 3-2 and then equalised right at the end. Remember Sandy McLaughlin letting a shot squirm through his legs.

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Basic things I look for from a manager every time: be able to organise a team in all circumstances; be able to make players better no matter who they are; be able to bring fans along with you and build community of support.

Assuming here "be able to organise a team in all circumstances" also covers being able to adapt to changing circumstances in front of him after the game has started. Something I'm really impressed in Clarke for. The likes of Gerrard for example don't have it, as evidenced on Wednesday night when rangers came out and did exactly what they were doing in the first half. 

17 minutes ago, stumack said:

Assuming here "be able to organise a team in all circumstances" also covers being able to adapt to changing circumstances in front of him after the game has started. Something I'm really impressed in Clarke for. The likes of Gerrard for example don't have it, as evidenced on Wednesday night when rangers came out and did exactly what they were doing in the first half. 

Yes, absolutely part of what I mean. Basics are being able to organise your team through training and drilling them to be able to execute core plan without having to think too much about it.

But where the really good managers come into their own is in recognising that no plan survives contact with the enemy (Yes, that's right people I'm quoting Helmuth van Moltke, what of it?) The best managers are able to adapt their plan to get the better of an opponent's plan, and crucially communicate that to players on the go - something which Clarke clearly excels at, and where absolute beginners like Gerrard get shown up because of their lack of knowledge and experience.